VSONIC GR07 Classic Color 2014 Edition: Unboxing and first impressions
Jan 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 310

Headphoneus Supremus
VSONIC GR07 Classic Color 2014 Edition
Unboxing and first impressions

Vsonic released another incarnation of their succesful GR07. Let's sum up the total GR07 line-up so far to avoid confusion:

- GR07 (discontinued)
- GR07 MK2 (according to rumor; discontinued as of 2014 yet still available online for $179)
- GR07 Bass Edition (according to rumor; discontinued as of 2014 yet still available online for $179)
- GR07 Classic Color Edition (the latest and supposedly only available incarnation of the GR07 as of 2014 and available for $119)

Some confusion, here on Head-Fi, arose around the driver used by Vsonic for this 2014 release. In the past Vsonic used a bio-cellulose driver by Sony but there is no definite answer regarding which driver they are using right now. I have no answer either to this question since I've never owned an original GR07 before, so I can't compare. Since this one has a much lower MSRP than the previous ones, there's a $60 difference, I can't help but fear they used different hardware in this one. Hopefully one of you can chime in on this issue and clear the sky once and for all. :) 

UPDATE: Some Head-Fi users have since commented that the 2014 GR07 definitely doesn't have Sony's bio-cellulose drivers, mentioning that it doesn't seem to be in the new spec sheets. The word is still out on the possible difference in sound quality between the new and the discontinued GR07. Vsonic hasn't officially confirmed or denied the use of bio-cellulose in their 2014 release.  

UPDATE2: Vsonic now confirmed through Lendmeurears that the CCE does have bio-cellulose drivers. Issue resolved! 

On to the unboxing! 

I bought mine from Ebay seller Bigbargainonline. He responded quickly to my questions and his reviews seem great. When I received the package all seemed well, but on closer inspection it turned out that the box my GR07 came in is different from the one in his product photos. I am also without all the Sony Hybrid tips pictured in his photos. I emailed him about this issue and await his reply. 
UPDATE: He replied that the package is just the way they came from Vsonic and that he will change his product photos to match the new packaging. 

Included in the package are:
- 2 Comply tips 
- 2 ear guards
- 6 pair of single flange tips
- 1 pair of double flange tips
- a pleather pouch

This is different from the previous GR07's. They used to include a lot more different kinds of eartips. Click here for an example. Could be a seller's mistake. UPDATE: Seller will adjust his product photos to match the amount of eartips the 2014 GR07 includes. 

The box they came in. 

The sides of the box say "GR07 MKII". Weird. Are these MKII's in a different shell? 

Warranty seal says "GR07 MKII" as well. 

The contents are very basic. If you've ever opened a DUNU or Teufel in-ear, you can't help but be disappointed by this presentation.

A lot of weird grammar and Engrish in and around the manual. Mamual: A manual on mammals?

The GR07 CCE with warranty tag on the cable. Notice how the cable differs in color from previous releases. No more candy cable!

A close up of the housing. Some tiny glue marks are obvious around the housing and cable entry.

The filters. Notice the plastic residue around the cable entry. 

My rig right now. Waiting for that Fiio X5! 

To summarize the differences between the GR07 CCE and the GR07, GR07 MK2 and GR07 BE so far:

- different packaging
- only half of the originally included eartips/ no Sony Hybrid tips included

Impressions
Will add proper impressions after I have given them some time. Straight out of the box I can say I am pleasantly surprised. They aren't as warm as I expected, coming from the Hifiman RE0. No enhanced bass, no enhanced treble, mids sound a little recessed but not enough to distract me from the overal experience. The mids are less recessed than the RE0. They respond well to my Headstage Arrow's bassboost. They're not as sparkly as the RE0 but offer more overal body and weight. Sibilance is noticeable and they sound a bit shouty and spitty with hotter tracks. They're not as smooth as my Sony MHC1. The RE0 is much brighter and thinner overal, lacking body compared to the GR07 CCE. The GR07 isn't very comfortable for me and it takes me a while to get a proper seal. Hardly any of the included tips go deep enough to seal. I get a better seal with the larger ones, but it isn't a deep seal. Overal they're not as easy to use as my other IEMs (except for the DUNU DN-19), who are more "fire and forget". I am going to experiment a bit with tips and A/B them with my other IEMs to get more grip on their signature. Stay tuned!  
UPDATE: Gave up on all of the included tips and used some large Sony Hybrids from my own collection. I get a great seal now and can actually start enjoying these in-ears for what they are. Impressions and comparisons follow. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 310
Nice impressions..........here are some comments that i would like to add, in general............... the model between GR07 MKII and GR07 classic is GR07BE which is bass edition not enhanced bass edition. Regarding model its the same GR07 MKII with 3 color options so the box reflects mkii...we expect vsonic to pack the iems with their espective model numbers/names printed on the box but its a shame why vsonic not paying attention to print just a word "classic edition' next to MKII..since they reduced the price to $119 so the included ear tips are less? One of the reason being, besides non bio-cellulose diaphragm............So this has nothing to do with the seller as they are factory sealed by vsonic and bigbargainonline is a trusted seller both in and out of our community.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 310
There is no confusion, the Classic edition do not use bio-cellulose drivers, Vsonic cut all ties with Sony for the licensing so no current [and likely future] production of bio-cellulose drivers will occur as I believe the technology is patented by Sony and Foster. That is why even the BE is discontinued. What Vsonic did was manage to create the same signature, but different diaphragm, if it sounds better or worse, I do not know. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 310
There is no confusion, the Classic edition do not use bio-cellulose drivers, Vsonic cut all ties with Sony for the licensing so no current [and likely future] production of bio-cellulose drivers will occur. That is why even the BE is discontinued. What Vsonic did was manage to create the same signature, but different diaphragm. 

yes true. Btw if someone who own both or own either of these 2 but can loan the other, can post/share the difference in their sound signature/chracteristics will be more helpful and much appreciated.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 310
I should have both within the next week or so, I have the classic already (from the same eBay seller), just waiting for the mk2 to arrive. I will post a comparison as soon as I can.

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 310
  There is no confusion, the Classic edition do not use bio-cellulose drivers, Vsonic cut all ties with Sony for the licensing so no current [and likely future] production of bio-cellulose drivers will occur as I believe the technology is patented by Sony and Foster. That is why even the BE is discontinued. What Vsonic did was manage to create the same signature, but different diaphragm, if it sounds better or worse, I do not know. 

Thanks, I will adjust my post. There still has been no confirmation from Vsonic on this matter though. So all opinions on this subject are only based on speculation, however likely they may seem. 

EDIT: To summarize the differences so far:

- different packaging
- only half of the originally included eartips/ no Sony Hybrid tips included
- Possibly no bio-cellulose drivers

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 310
I see. But from the looks it seems it is just like other models which are swivable........ Hope you gave ur try at best as they are kinda little hard to swivel out of the box..so just..............

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #11 of 310
I see. But from the looks it seems it is just like other models which are swivable........ Hope you gave ur try at best as they are kinda little hard to swivel out of the box..so just..............

They really don't seem to swivel. If I pull at them any harder I am afraid I'm going to break them. They seem to be set in place solidly, no difference noticeable compared to the nozzles of my other IEMs. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #12 of 310
They really don't seem to swivel. If I pull at them any harder I am afraid I'm going to break them. They seem to be set in place solidly, no difference noticeable compared to the nozzles of my other IEMs. 

I got the same ones as you and can confirm that they do swivel, they are fairly stiff out of the box but do swivel with some force.

The part that swivels is the metal ball you can see within the housing itself so make sure you are trying to move this.

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #13 of 310

I got the same ones as you and can confirm that they do swivel, they are fairly stiff out of the box but do swivel with some force.

The part that swivels is the metal ball you can see within the housing itself so make sure you are trying to move this.

Yeah try gently with ur index and thumb swiveling the nozzle but little grip with the shell........you shd be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back