VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Nov 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #1,681 of 2,697
Source is also important as impedance mismatches can really change the sound. It's probably not an issue since the BE's are 50 ohms, but still something to consider. I do agree it's likely fit in this case.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #1,682 of 2,697
It would seem many others disagree and feel that burn in is a physical reality. I did seem to be the case with some Grado RS 1's that I owned at one time, and also with the some speakers. I can't address the physical changes that might take place....but I think I have a good enough ear to say there was an observable change.....and not just in my mind/ perception. I recently purchased a Burson Soloist headphone amp....solid state of course...the salesperson and printed literature mentioned a burn in period. That I have a hard time grasping.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,683 of 2,697
Further on the subject, you may accuse me of mental burn out....but regarding mental burn in - I pluged them into a disc man on repeat play - they were unistenable at first, checked them every 12 hours or so...by 100 hours the harshness had diminished and the bass had increased. I strongly feel this was objectively observable, and not a matter of my becomming accustomed to the sound signsture . In any case they are pleasing now, and satisfactory to me for their intended purpose...compact and portable for use with full size music files on an android.

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #1,684 of 2,697
I'm not denying physical burn in completely, just that scientifically the amount of change in the driver should not make headphones sound that much better.. unless you have superhuman ears.

Again, I'm not knocking anyone for enjoying IEMs more the longer they listen, or if to your ears the sound actually gets better. That's a good thing and just as real as anything else! It's just that this is based on your brain rather than the IEMs themselves changing.

Not picking on anyone in particular here btw :). This is a topic that always comes up. I'm the ****** who brought it up this time lol.

Back to discussing the BE's.

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #1,685 of 2,697
I definitely wouldn't count out superhuman ears. I have superhuman sight. :D

I was impressed w/ the GR07's out of the box, but they def improved w/ age. In fact, I think they're still getting better.

Also, the biggest difference I noticed was when someone taught me how to put the Comply foamies in right. I use the Ts-500's? The smaller, more comfy ones. Anyway, I push down right on the open tip, then pull back from there, and push down. I try to keep as much of the hole open as possible. Then I put em in my ears w/ the wire's facing directly in front (in line w/ my eye view) and hold for 30 seconds. The bass is no longer bloaty and I get my mid/high fix.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #1,686 of 2,697
On the subject of burn in, anyone care to comment on the salesperson at Cable Company and manufacturer saying there is 50 hour but in on the Burson Soloist headphone amp? Its solid state....what can possibly change? Also suggested leave on all time or half hour warm up! Now that sounds like nonsense......but I have no specific electronics knowledge . Sure, with tube amp.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,687 of 2,697
  Regardless of whether you believe in burn in or not, it is ridiculous to say that these can go from tinny crap to good IEM's because of burn in.

Actual physical driver change from burn in is minimal and can perhaps make a minuscule difference in sonic properties.

Mental burn in of course is much more real. Reality is in many ways defined by change in perspective. Not only in sound but everything else.

Magical change after 300 hours? 100 hours? Ridiculous. 

Sorry I just get annoyed by this once in awhile lol. It's okay to acknowledge changes in perception (and it doesn't make the change any less valid), but to say the IEM itself changes that drastically is stupid.

Further on the subject, you may accuse me of mental burn out....but regarding mental burn in - I pluged them into a disc man on repeat play - they were unistenable at first, checked them every 12 hours or so...by 100 hours the harshness had diminished and the bass had increased. I strongly feel this was objectively observable, and not a matter of my becomming accustomed to the sound signsture . In any case they are pleasing now, and satisfactory to me for their intended purpose...compact and portable for use with full size music files on an android.

The first step of the scientific method is observation.  That is where the word obvious and objective come from.  Denying the objectively obvious, because we can not explain it or measure it, is thinking of ourselves higher than we ought to.

Not all things that are observed have been measured.  Not all things that are measured have been observed. But, all measurements and observations can be interpreted.  That requires wisdom.  Wisdom can neither be measured, nor can it be observed.  It has to be sensed.......Scientific approaches will always have a subjective component, and sometimes quite big.

This comes from someone who loves being able to measure things and is no stranger to wearing lab coats and doing lab work.  Mathematics, physics and chemistry were much preferred subjects in academics than philosophy, history and political science.  When you measure and observe at the same time, you can get more knowledge out of your data than when you just observe, or just measure.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,688 of 2,697
  I definitely wouldn't count out superhuman ears. I have superhuman sight. :D

I was impressed w/ the GR07's out of the box, but they def improved w/ age. In fact, I think they're still getting better.

Also, the biggest difference I noticed was when someone taught me how to put the Comply foamies in right. I use the Ts-500's? The smaller, more comfy ones. Anyway, I push down right on the open tip, then pull back from there, and push down. I try to keep as much of the hole open as possible. Then I put em in my ears w/ the wire's facing directly in front (in line w/ my eye view) and hold for 30 seconds. The bass is no longer bloaty and I get my mid/high fix.

Well, I'd more likely take into consideration the anatomy of each persons ear canals being different, either slightly or drastically in terms of bends and diameter at various points.  Sound entering the ear via IEM is much different and less natural, so other things need to be taken into account like resonance and peaks.  Some dynamic-based IEMs have mechanical resonance from the driver itself that is unavoidable, but in some instances can be fixed with proper housing damping.  That is one of my 2 only complaints with the GR07, and the other being the sibilance-prone peakiness of the treble.  I believe that physical burn in effects can be seen after a hundred hours or so (and I've had a few pairs now and it seems to be the case for all of them) regarding the treble presentation but tips and insertion depth do make a difference on this IEM it seems, and it's been recorded before:

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/10/vsonic-gr07-mkii.html
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-effect-of-ear-sleeves-vsonic-gr07.html

I'd say that the genuine Sony Hybrids are the best overall tips in terms of comfort and sound, but recently I've actually been using the small 'new style' double flange tips from my RE-400.  Odd I know, but it is able to fit past the 'second knuckle' of the nozzle, and the tip's hole itself is about the same diameter as the nozzle at the end, so pretty much no sleeve obstruction.  As you can see, there's not much barrel left of the tip since it's on there pretty far, so the nozzle is able to go deeper in my ear and it seems to help with the sibilant frequencies a bit (at least as far as I can tell).  It's a close, snug fit though but I'm still able to get a proper seal.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,689 of 2,697
You can observe that the IEM sounds better to you. What accounts for that observation I believe can be measured.

Eh wisdom? I think you're getting a bit off subject with this one. Of course there are things we dont "measure". Were talking specifically about IEM drivers here. Possibly audiology? :)

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #1,690 of 2,697

The first step of the scientific method is observation.  That is where the word obvious and objective come from.  Denying the objectively obvious, because we can not explain it or measure it, is thinking of ourselves higher than we ought to.

Not all things that are observed have been measured.  Not all things that are measured have been observed.  Wisdom can neither be measured, nor can it be observed.  It has to be sensed.......Scientific approaches will always have a subjective component, and sometimes quite big.

This comes from someone who loves being able to measure things and is no stranger to wearing lab coats and doing lab work.  Mathematics, physics and chemistry were much preferred subjects in academics than philosophy, history and political science.  When you measure and observe at the same time, you can get more knowledge out of your data than when you just observe, or just measure.

Actually after reading this again I have no idea how this is remotely related to what I was talking about lol.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #1,691 of 2,697
Wow this thread has kicked back to life

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #1,694 of 2,697
Something in them friggin thingies changed...nothing changed in my ear canal, nothing changed in my noggin!

If you were not listening to them while having music played through them for many hours and did not change tips, and now they sound quite different, then it becomes obvious to me that there is a physical "burn in" taking place.  That is, unless you are lying.  Buy, there is no reason for me to believe that you are.  Why would you?

I love measuring stuff.  But, if nothing can be measured in this instance, your observation make it obvious that there is a physical burn in or equivalent. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back