VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Jul 11, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #1,126 of 2,697
Quote:

Oh yea. I actually had to delete "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen from my playlist because there's a harsh high pitch effect used once or twice in it that felt like it almost shattered my ear. Hopefully that will resolve with a bunch of burn-in time. I was playing it pretty loudly which I normally don't like to do, but I found I have to with the GR07BEs to get everything I wanted out of them (impactful bass).

So here's a question. If I want some more impactful bass, would any old amp give that to me without having to increase the volume? How about one with bass boost? I don't really want the bass to be more prominent so that it overshadows the vocals, just more punchy mid-bass so that I can feel the drum smacks. Can anyone give me some tests with their amps (specifically something like the Fios amps out of an iPhone 4s would be nice). Some test songs: Hypercaine by DJ Fresh and Ghostwriter by Dead Ringer.

I actually know exactly what you're talking about on that Queen track, but I didn't listen to it until after the burn in period.  There definitely were some songs in the same boat though that I did have an initial shock with, and it does tame down I can assure you.

If you are coming from anything with much more bass emphasis, or that are more impactful in the mid-bass, these will likely not get to that point.  Trust me though, this is a good thing.  These are relatively flat and neutral across the frequency range, with a slight 2-3dB bump in the mid-bass...enough to warm it up and give more impact over the original, while still preserving the mids.  I personally think these have an accurate amount of impact and excellent bass presence now, but I can also say that they did feel they were lacking initially coming from the MG7 (known for it's bass presence, but it's not as bad an offender as most).  The small bump does make the mids a bit recessed in comparison to the original, but they'll still be waay more present than any other bass-heavy presentation.  You also get a bit more bass extension over the originals.  There was a time in the beginning where I used EQ and/or a Fiio E11 amp, but I ultimately ended up with no EQ and no amp.  If you want to try an amp though, the E11 is pretty good and it has a few bass boost settings that should work fine.  I mainly used it with my J3, but I also tested it on my iPad and the GFs iPhone 4s so you should have no issue there.  Another to consider would be the cMoyBB v2.03 by JDS Labs, or you can try building your own.  I personally just thought the amp was overkill after using it for a few weeks, and it was a better pairing overall for my former RE-ZEROs.  You also must remember that bass impact can also be very recording/file quality dependent, but just about anything electronic should sound great after the burn in period.  I guessing by Dead Ringer - Ghostwriter you mean RJD2 - Ghostwriter off the Dead Ringer album?  If so, I know for a fact that song sounds pretty great as I currently have that album on my J3 
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,128 of 2,697
Quote:
I actually know exactly what you're talking about on that Queen track, but I didn't listen to it until after the burn in period.  There definitely were some songs in the same boat though that I did have an initial shock with, and it does tame down I can assure you.

If you are coming from anything with much more bass emphasis, or that are more impactful in the mid-bass, these will likely not get to that point.  Trust me though, this is a good thing.  These are relatively flat and neutral across the frequency range, with a slight 2-3dB bump in the mid-bass...enough to warm it up and give more impact over the original, while still preserving the mids.  I personally think these have an accurate amount of impact and excellent bass presence now, but I can also say that they did feel they were lacking initially coming from the MG7 (known for it's bass presence, but it's not as bad an offender as most).  The small bump does make the mids a bit recessed in comparison to the original, but they'll still be waay more present than any other bass-heavy presentation.  You also get a bit more bass extension over the originals.  There was a time in the beginning where I used EQ and/or a Fiio E11 amp, but I ultimately ended up with no EQ and no amp.  If you want to try an amp though, the E11 is pretty good and it has a few bass boost settings that should work fine.  I mainly used it with my J3, but I also tested it on my iPad and the GFs iPhone 4s so you should have no issue there.  Another to consider would be the cMoyBB v2.03 by JDS Labs, or you can try building your own.  I personally just thought the amp was overkill after using it for a few weeks, and it was a better pairing overall for my former RE-ZEROs.  You also must remember that bass impact can also be very recording/file quality dependent, but just about anything electronic should sound great after the burn in period.  I guessing by Dead Ringer - Ghostwriter you mean RJD2 - Ghostwriter off the Dead Ringer album?  If so, I know for a fact that song sounds pretty great as I currently have that album on my J3 
tongue.gif

Good to hear about the burn-in!

Yea, I'm not too worried about the bass impact because these were to be my neutral response to whatever bass-heavy headphones I'm going to be getting (looking at the DT770 Pro right now, want to find a place I can listen to them). But I would like a little more when I need it to hold me over. There wouldn't be anywhere where I could test try an amp like the E11, is there? Any hardware stores do this? Looking for meets in my area (South Jersey, Philly, NYC) but there isn't anything coming up I noticed.

Yes, that is the song I meant. Do you notice more impact without taking too much away from the mids with something like bass boast on the E11 over non-amped? Also, how did these IEMs compare to your MG7s? I was down to these GR07 BE, those and the Turbine Coppers before I made my choice.

Thanks for the help.

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #1,129 of 2,697
Quote:
Good to hear about the burn-in!

Yea, I'm not too worried about the bass impact because these were to be my neutral response to whatever bass-heavy headphones I'm going to be getting (looking at the DT770 Pro right now, want to find a place I can listen to them). But I would like a little more when I need it to hold me over. There wouldn't be anywhere where I could test try an amp like the E11, is there? Any hardware stores do this? Looking for meets in my area (South Jersey, Philly, NYC) but there isn't anything coming up I noticed.

Yes, that is the song I meant. Do you notice more impact without taking too much away from the mids with something like bass boast on the E11 over non-amped? Also, how did these IEMs compare to your MG7s? I was down to these GR07 BE, those and the Turbine Coppers before I made my choice.

Thanks for the help.

You may be able to test an E11 or similar at a BestBuy, or possibly another audio store, but other than that you may consider picking one up on Amazon with a return policy, or you could always sell it here or on Ebay if you don't like it.  But yes, it basically has a potentometer for volume control, and a gain switch (low/high) and a bass switch with three settings I believe.  Unfortunately I can't sample it and give you an exact answer, but the bass boost settings well definitely give you more weight and/or impact in any song, and it's nice that you could switch it on and off any time.  I would recommend getting a line-out dock to go with the E11 if you do get one, since you are using an iPhone so you can bypass it's internal amp (which reduces distortion) - Fiio makes those as well.

Comparing to the MG7, I think I did a pretty comprehensive write-up somewhere in this thread (if you can find it) but I ended up preferring the BE in almost every way - I did commend the MG7's bass response as one of the best, if not best, I've heard in an IEM to date.  I think the treble extension, soundstage/airiness and overall mids are better in the BE, more neutral overall.  The bass is near perfect in it's abilities to give a sense of realness and a more natural sound, and the driver feels much quicker and is more resolving overall.  Fun, slightly warm and detailed, but not overly analytical or revealing of flaws.  There are compromises of course, but for me the BE does the most correctly for what I was after.

...and any time! 
cool.gif

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #1,131 of 2,697
Quote:
Vsd7/7bass ,vsd9 to be released in october can't wait
biggrin.gif

Oh boy, time to get excited! I saw that they're basically going to be the same design, just with a detachable cable (finally!) and I imagine a different housing material.  Where did you see the release info?  Vsonic is rising up to take the crown and slay some giants!  http://www.head-fi.org/t/602091/vsonic-v7007-former-gr08-info-expectations-thread/870#post_9620976

Also, I'm doing a temporary swap with MattTCG - his MKII for my BE, so I'll be giving impressions once I receive them. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,132 of 2,697
I finally got a tracking number for my replacement BEs. I've had the anemic MKIIs for a month and I can't wait to relive the BEs.

Jul 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #1,136 of 2,697
I think we need more info(I'm sure it will float out soon). Four models mentioned but two prices. VSD7/7Bass should be the same price but the VSD7 and VSD9 won't be.  EDIT: After looking around, the VSD7's appear to be ~$199US and the VSD9 $525 with the current exchange rate. Begs the question now how the 7's fit in between the 3/3S and the 9. A great deal if $200 and better than the EX1000 and the others mentioned in conjunction with the VSD3 and 5 since they have to be a nice step up from the VSD3. 7 is closer to 9 so maybe the sweet spot?

Doubt the VSD3 will be $50. The VSD1 are $45. Only $5 more? Not so sure. And the $50 to $550(11X the price) discrepancy would be received worse than the RE-400/RE600 which is 4X. EDIT: I keep seeing VSD3 and VSD3S models mentioned. Also see $65 mentioned at times as well as the $50. Possible that the VSD3/3S are $20 more than the VSD1/VSD1S? EDIT #2: Saw the new pricing structure; VSD1 moves to 199($32US), VSD3/3S 299($50), VSD5 399($65). So, the VSD3 will indeed be $50 and the VSD1 moves down to the old GR02 entry level slot.

Any confirmation of what I read in the tweets. GR07 Bass and MKII are discontinued and in Sept. a GR07 Classic will be the one left standing.
"GR07MK2 GR07BASS two models have been discontinued since last month. We will have planned launch in September GR07 Classics edition, the mixer will be subject to change, the impedance down to 32 ohms. Price will be very cost-effective, next VSD7 will replace the current GR07 position."

So, I guess down the line this thread will change from the GR07 Bass Edition Impressions thread to the VSD7 Bass Edition Impressions thread
popcorn.gif
!

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #1,139 of 2,697
Quote:
Oh boy, time to get excited! I saw that they're basically going to be the same design, just with a detachable cable (finally!) and I imagine a different housing material.  

Any word as to why the are moving to detachable cables? I can't imagine these cables are going out; the one on the MK2 is built like a tank. Is the purpose more for upgrade in cable quality (and the purported sound improvement)? I've heard that detachable cables can have more issues regarding breakdown because of more connections. Honestly though, I've never had an iem that I've needed a removable cable on yet! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back