VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Dec 7, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #61 of 2,697
Thank you for the friendly welcome Annafrancesca.

And to answer your question, I didn't notice my BE R07's output becoming weaker, however I am still far behind; roughly around 25 hours of burn-in and I can hear some noticeable improvements.  Its sound has been getting warmer.  Bass is tighter and more precise.  Although I still have many hours of burn-in to go through, I like the bass a lot!  Listening to the Dark Knight Rises soundtrack by Zimmer sounds very lively.  I have been listening to it through my iPod Nano 6G.  I am also using one of the smaller tips provided with the R07 BE (the ones with the red circle markings within.)

I am not comfortable with IEM's as much as I am with full size headphones (my HD-280 + cmoyBB is the comfort zone for my ears at home).  Hearing the lows from the GR07 BE can be sometimes overwhelming for me.  Maybe I am so used to hearing the lack of quantity in the lows.  The HD-280 simply shows the details of the lows but does not bring the same impact that the R07 BE brings.

You are very welcome. :).

About the loudness, I noticed the change in output at around the 100 hour mark, but never did a comparison until around the 125th hour. Maybe your 07's are still "incubating" :) or maybe my unit is a lemon... :) i certainly hope not.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #62 of 2,697
I've been listening to the GR07 bass ed for a long while now, so I'd estimate it has around 300 hours on it. It definitely has a wider genre bandwidth compared to the MK2, some of the death metal recordings I listen to (particularly the underproduced ones) definitely benefit from added heft and power on the bottom end without losing the signature GR07 flavor.

A pleasing recent discovery is that the the tips that come with the Sony MH1C fit perfectly on them, and are slowly becoming my preferred tip as they seal better than the stock ones that come with the '07's. Bottom line is, I prefer the GR07 bass ed over the MK2, but it's really close. Some music sounds better on the MK2's due to their better overall clarity, like guitar instrumentals and jazz fusion. However the added fun factor of the bass ed's doesn't hurt for those either. I suppose it depends on what music you listen to the most, there's really no bad choice here. :) 

Care to comment on the perceived mid bass hump that others have been talking about on the bass edition?

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #63 of 2,697
I wouldn't call it a hump, just a bit more emphasis in that area. The pervasive low bass presence is still the focus. It doesn't detract from the overall signature at all. Nowhere near as bad as the IE8's for example.

YMMV - everyone's ears are different, for example while I see a lot of people are saying that the GR07's are prone to sibilance I don't hear anything of that sort, even while they were new out of the box (probably only peaky/slightly harsh). This is probably because I've abused my ears with Grados a while back. :p

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #64 of 2,697
160 hours of burn in. Bass not so boomy anymore but not completely boom-less yet, but the mids opened up. The biggest change after the 1st 8 hours. I am now a believer of burn in. Well, at least for the GR07. The MH1C change was minimal.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #65 of 2,697
I wouldn't call it a hump, just a bit more emphasis in that area. The pervasive low bass presence is still the focus. It doesn't detract from the overall signature at all. Nowhere near as bad as the IE8's for example.

YMMV - everyone's ears are different, for example while I see a lot of people are saying that the GR07's are prone to sibilance I don't hear anything of that sort, even while they were new out of the box (probably only peaky/slightly harsh). This is probably because I've abused my ears with Grados a while back. :p

Agree, at 160 hours of burn in, I wouldn't say it is a hump, but similar to the UM3X, it gives vocals a thicker presentation. But out of the box with the stock tips, the midbass was really emphasized enough to call it a hump. Burn in and the MH1C tips leveled the midbass down to acceptable, and even, enjoyable levels.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #66 of 2,697
Has anyone tried silicone triple flange tips with these?  The stock silicone triple flanges always gave me the most comfortable and best seal on my Shure E4 (deceased now)... and I've read that the MEElectronic tips fit the GR07 well.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #67 of 2,697
I've been listening to the GR07 bass ed for a long while now, so I'd estimate it has around 300 hours on it. It definitely has a wider genre bandwidth compared to the MK2, some of the death metal recordings I listen to (particularly the underproduced ones) definitely benefit from added heft and power on the bottom end without losing the signature GR07 flavor.

A pleasing recent discovery is that the the tips that come with the Sony MH1C fit perfectly on them, and are slowly becoming my preferred tip as they seal better than the stock ones that come with the '07's. Bottom line is, I prefer the GR07 bass ed over the MK2, but it's really close. Some music sounds better on the MK2's due to their better overall clarity, like guitar instrumentals and jazz fusion. However the added fun factor of the bass ed's doesn't hurt for those either. I suppose it depends on what music you listen to the most, there's really no bad choice here. :) 

I have the bass edition and thinking about getting the MK2 as well. Do you think it's worth getting it?

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #68 of 2,697
I have the bass edition and thinking about getting the MK2 as well. Do you think it's worth getting it?

Unless you plan on selling one of them, there really is no need to have both as it's more of a side grade IMHO. Even if they do sound distinct from one another, I'd get a totally different sounding iem like the fa dba 02 or tdk ba 200 if I was looking for a keeper.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #69 of 2,697
Unless you plan on selling one of them, there really is no need to have both as it's more of a side grade IMHO. Even if they do sound distinct from one another, I'd get a totally different sounding iem like the fa dba 02 or tdk ba 200 if I was looking for a keeper.

Thanks. I already have the BA200 and it has been my favorite IEM for jazz and vocal tracks. I got the GR07 for more contemporary pop/rock music. I was just curious about the GR07 MK2 because of all the hype.
I found the bass edition a little too bass-ey for my taste. I thought I would get used to it, but after 10 days of continuous use, I have yet to adjust. The DBA 02 are, for me, too bright. Even brighter than my GR01. And you almost read my mind. I plan to get the Mk2 and decide between that and my bass edition, and sell the one I like the least.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #70 of 2,697
Thanks. I already have the BA200 and it has been my favorite IEM for jazz and vocal tracks. I got the GR07 for more contemporary pop/rock music. I was just curious about the GR07 MK2 because of all the hype.
I found the bass edition a little too bass-ey for my taste. I thought I would get used to it, but after 10 days of continuous use, I have yet to adjust. The DBA 02 are, for me, too bright. Even brighter than my GR01. And you almost read my mind. I plan to get the Mk2 and decide between that and my bass edition, and sell the one I like the least.

What tip are you using for the 07?

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #71 of 2,697
Well, after much thought and invaluable constructive input from Travelbug and Azathoth, I have ordered a pair of the GR07 Bass Edition.  I may yet get the Mk2 for comparison's sake when finances allow.

Thank you both for helping me come to a decision!

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #73 of 2,697
This is going to be my 100th post and I wanted use it doing my review of the Gr07 bass edition By this time, they have about 350 hours on them and should be past the recommended burn in time.

Initial impressions:

Out of the box, I was almost sorry I made the purchase. They were dark, congested and the total opposite of smooth. The midbass bleed was too apparent that vocals sounded nasal and overly thick. I purchased the MH1C at the same time and was thinking they sound better than the GR07s. So I decided to put the GR07 though a 300 hour burn in process so the drivers can settle and my brain can adjust.

15 days later:
Well over 300 hours of burn in, I can now say they have opened up quite a bit.

Bass:
To me, they are bass heavy. Sub bass is quite impressive and I can easily hear rumble with 808s and synthetic bass on a few tester tracks. I just love listening to "Woofer Cooker and "Can't Hold Us Down" by Christna Agiulera. Impact is more than enough to make your head bob with some rnb and club music. Equally, they add a little bit of fun factor with rock music and some heavy metal tracks. drums have realistic attack and dynamics. But the drivers are also fast enough that it doesn't sound congested even on bass heavy tracks. Decay is just right that everything seems so, alive. Bass bleed is minimal. They do reach into the mids and add body to vocals and other midbass instruments, but just enough that it doesn't sound muddy. Beware though that this, for me, is borderline. Even the slightest boost in this midbass emphasis can kill the midrange and upset the tonality. Personally, I find it just a little too bass heavy for jazz and classical music. They are, however, perfect for RNB Rock and pop songs and are easily one of the most accurate, fun, bass-ey IEMs.

Mids:
Mids are just wonderful. Since the 07s have a slightly U shaped signature, the mids are not as forward as the bass but in no way are they recessed. It does, however, have ample amount of body due partly to the bass bleed. Vocals come alive and are well textured. A good track to test would be "Biggest Part of Me" by David Pack from the "Secret of Moving On" album. When the backround vocals come in and sing "Sunlight", it just feels so lively and involving. Pianos and female vocals are portrayed beautifully also with Diana Krall's "A Case of You" from the Live in Paris album. Mid detail is also impressive. I remember picking up nuances from my RE0 and I can pick them up just as easily with the Gr07.

Highs:
Treble to me are not the 07's strong suite, but that's not saying they are bad. Even with the Bass Edition, I can hear a little bit of sibilance, but nothing close to my old GR01's. The U shape signature adds a bit of emphasis to the treble which by the way extends fairly high. In my opinion though, the 07's deliver the highs just to enhance the mids, but not to be praised in itself. These are not treble focused nor are they designd to be analytical. The treble is enough to help with above average resolution, (try and listen as singers breathe-in after each line) but falls short compared to the RE0 and the younger brother, the GR01, which in my opinion, two of the best IEM in terms of treble reproduction. Sparkle is present, but a bit dry due to lack of real airiness. They are not dark sounding IEMs per se, neither are they bright. To my ears, they are just right its just not a treble-focused IEM.

Soundstage and Speed:
Nothing too impressive. They are designed to be stage monitors and presentation is quite intimate. Soundstage is just a little above average. Speed is also above average, considering these have dynamic drivers, I would say they are fast enough that they won't skip a beat and portray music accurately, but nothing to say "wow" about.

Overall sound quality and one more special thing:
Individually, the most impressive thing about the 07's are the bass. They have been tuned to provide not just quantity, but quality. The mids will come in at a close second, delivering some of the most vivid and lively vocals with one of the most natural timbre of all the IEMs I've owned. But more than the individual sound spectrum and characteristics, its the overall combination of these that set the GR07 apart from any other IEM at its price range. They are the top of the line from Vsonic and by all means, one of the best in terms of sound quality. Accurate, natural sounding, dynamic and resolving. They are fun and engaging, able to provide hours and hours of musical enjoyment without the slightest hint of fatigue. The very special thing about them apart from their top tier sound quality is that they are so comfortable that you forget you are wearing them.

I would recommend them to anyone looking for an upgrade from your $100 IEM, or even as part of a starter kit for the would-be audiophile. Note though that although they sound fantastic, they are anything but out of the box. I highly recommend both driver and brain burn in to let its sound signature settle and sink in. You may regret buying as i once did, but after about 300 hours, you will start to appreciate how amazing these really are. You may ask me now how they compare against the MH1C that sounded better pre-burn in? Well, I can honestly say, the MH1C had some pretty amazing wow factor that probably lasted 1 week. The GR07s are definitely at the high end bracket and are designed for long term use. They don't have the same wow factor as the Sony's but I would go with long term relationships over love at first sight anytime.

I give them 8.9/10 in sound quality. (If not for the midbass emphasis, I would give them at least a 9.2)

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #75 of 2,697
Annafrancesca: how do you feel that the GR07 Bass Edition compare/contrast with the TDK BA-200 now that you have them fully burned in?

To me, technically, the BA200 is superior in almost every aspect except for bass. and I am just talking about quantity. Musically though, the GR07 beats the BA200 hands down.

To further elaborate:
Complex passages, such as latin and percussion tracks tend to get a little muddied with the G07. So with anything that requires speed and accuracy, I would go with the 200s. However, with bass-heavy music such as rock/hip hop and contemporary pop, I find the 200s thin and lacking and I would naturally grab the 07s.

Bear in mind that any downside from each of these phones are only relative compared to each other. I am just one of those who are crazy enough to have both. If I had just one, I would never have thought I'd be missing out on anything. To my ears, they are both top tier and without the other pair for comparison, anyone would have easily said they are the best thing since sliced bread. :)

I would conclude that the GR07s are designed to be more consumer friendly giving emphasis to bass and treble, without sacrificing resolution and mid clarity. The BA200s are tuned differently and cater to more of the professional crowd who are looking for flat, uncolored reproduction without missing too much of the fun side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back