VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Dec 17, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #76 of 2,697
wait. so what's the difference between the bass edition and the mk2?
What exactly is different in the bass? More subbass with same midbass? Or more of both?
Does the midrange become more recessed in the bass edition? And do the highs change as well in comparison to the mk2?

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #77 of 2,697
Quote:
Complex passages, such as latin and percussion tracks tend to get a little muddied with the G07. 

Ok, you DEFINITELY need to get the MK2 then. I've never heard my GR07 sound muddy, and especially not with anything that has to do with percussion.

I wish you were in the US so I could send you my pair. I'd be interested to hear how the 2 go head to head.

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #78 of 2,697
wait. so what's the difference between the bass edition and the mk2?

What exactly is different in the bass? More subbass with same midbass? Or more of both?
Does the midrange become more recessed in the bass edition? And do the highs change as well in comparison to the mk2?

I wish I had the MK2 for comparison, but from what I remember from the MK1, (which I auditioned) it's drivers were just as fast as BA drivers, and that I was very impressed. But back then, I only had my RE0 as point of comparison. The main difference that I can point out is the sibilance that was very apparent on the MK1 has been considerably tamed with the bass edition.

Bass comparison between the GR07 bass edition vs. BA200:
BA200 is fast and accurate. It gets out of the way fast and does not become muddied. However it lacks the sheer volume that the Gr07 has. It goes deep, probably as deep as the Gr07, but considering the quantity, the Gr07 feels like it goes deeper.

The Gr07 has the impact and volume, but like I said, it tends to get muddied with fast passages. Complex bass patterns coupled with percussions seems to get drowned out either because the overpowering bass or, the drivers really are having a hard time keeping up, or both.

But like I said, they are only apparent when compared to each other. Without the BA200, I would have said the Gr07s have excellent speed and are clear even with the fastest songs.

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #79 of 2,697
Ok, you DEFINITELY need to get the MK2 then. I've never heard my GR07 sound muddy, and especially not with anything that has to do with percussion.

I wish you were in the US so I could send you my pair. I'd be interested to hear how the 2 go head to head.

I wanted to get a pair of MK2s as well. The bass edition does have a little too much bass for me, and this is probably why it gets a little muddied. i have no doubt the Mk2 does not suffer from this.

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #80 of 2,697
Quote:
But like I said, they are only apparent when compared to each other. Without the BA200, I would have said the Gr07s have excellent speed and are clear even with the fastest songs.

As far as speed goes, I feel like my MK2 is just as fast as my UE 700.

I'm really not trying to undermine anything you're saying, btw. I just wish I could hear the bass edition side by side.

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #81 of 2,697
Quoting Azathoth who have all three versions.

Bass edition:

The cable is as soft as the MK2, and covered in red streaks. It's actually not as garish as it sounds, they do look rather classy when you're holding it in your hand. Package contents and "GR07 WALKAUDIO" embossed on the earpieces, the same as the MK1.1/2.

Now this is the one that deviates the most from the core GR07 sound. Bass lovers will definitely enjoy these, as the altered tuning adds more kick to the low end. Extension is about the same though. A bit of the bass now creeps in the mids, but don't mistake this for a midbass hump, it's a rather enjoyable sense of weight and murk that lends more authority to vocals among its strengths.

So here's the bottom line. The bass edition was clearly intended to be a more "fun" version of the GR07 and will cater to those craving for rumbling, cavernous bass. In that respect VSONIC has succeeded without compromising what I enjoy about the trademark '07 midrange too much. For the detail and accuracy freaks, you'd be well served by the MK2.

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #82 of 2,697
As far as speed goes, I feel like my MK2 is just as fast as my UE 700.

I'm really not trying to undermine anything you're saying, btw. I just wish I could hear the bass edition side by side.

Oh, I completely understand, from what I gather from feedback about the Mk2, they really have the ability to match or even outperform even top tier BA drivers in terms of resolution. I was just unlucky that the only stock was the BE, and I wanted to get the MK2. :)

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #83 of 2,697
I have the bass and I've auditioned Azathoths mk2.
Just listening to it for a minute you will already note the difference. The mk2 is more resolving, but I believe I still detect some sibilance even in his well burned in iem. Bass is noticeably less.
If I'd buy it all over again, I'd still choose the bass as I think it's a better all rounder.
Also for Anna, I think the bass is a better compliment to your ba200. Although they don't sound exactly the same, the Mk2 and ba200 do share certain characteristics making having them both redundant.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #84 of 2,697
I have the bass and I've auditioned Azathoths mk2.
Just listening to it for a minute you will already note the difference. The mk2 is more resolving, but I believe I still detect some sibilance even in his well burned in iem. Bass is noticeably less.
If I'd buy it all over again, I'd still choose the bass as I think it's a better all rounder.
Also for Anna, I think the bass is a better compliment to your ba200. Although they don't sound exactly the same, the Mk2 and ba200 do share certain characteristics making having them both redundant.

Thank you Travelbug. Then that confirms the MK2 is every bit as resolving as the BA200. Now I am more inclined to think that the Bass Edition is the better companion for my BA200.

Redundant? Maybe, but only in head-fi will you meet people who have 5, 6 or more flagship IEMs from 5, 6 or more different companies. All of which sound exactly the same to 99% of the world's population, and they are still saving up to get a few more. :)

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #85 of 2,697
I gave myself some more time to decide, and I ended up choosing the Bass Edition.  Based on all the incredibly helpful information here, I think it'll be the best choice for me and for what I'll be primarily listening to.  Once I receive them and give them their appropriate burn in, I'll report back!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #87 of 2,697
Hello, I read for weeks wonders of these GR07. Actually the UMX3 me crazy, but I do not like the price xD
I wanted to know if they get along with the music I listen to K-pop. I like the bass edition since I like the beat.
I hope you understand.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #88 of 2,697
Quote:
Hello, I read for weeks wonders of these GR07. Actually the UMX3 me crazy, but I do not like the price xD
I wanted to know if they get along with the music I listen to K-pop. I like the bass edition since I like the beat.
I hope you understand.

I recalled seeing the UM3X mentioned recently by ClieOS in the TDK BA200 Impression/Appreciation thread, as that was another I was considering trying out:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/584123/tdk-ba200-impressions-and-appreciation-thread/15#post_7977907

I've personally not heard any of these at this point, but it may help you out in deciding.  I'm sure others that can A/B compare or provide more insight will chime in as well, but from my understanding the Bass Edition will have a more fun sound with the most bass impact out of the MKII, BA200, etc.  Still in the learning process here...cheers!
beerchug.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #89 of 2,697
I reached about a hundred hours of burn in for my GR07 BE.  Sibilance is still there.  Is it normal that I still think that the mids need to open up more or will there be a noticeable difference after another hundred hours of burn in?

I've been burning them in simply through my music on shuffle.  Would pink noise help the burn in process any better?

Just listened to the Christmas present I gave to my friend, the Klipsch Image X10.  Out of the box they sound ridiculously good!  Warm and very fun bass.  I really hope another couple hundred hours of burn in will make the GR07 sound that good.

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #90 of 2,697
To my ears, the treble was smoother after burn in, but I never had sibilance issues, maybe my ears have been trained by my Grados and my GR01. The mids will open up due to the midbass emphasis leveling out. Bass will still be prominent giving you a sense that mids are recessed, but they are not. Just a little less forward than the. Bass IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back