VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Nov 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #2,446 of 2,697
  Here it is. My GR07 BE with BTG Audio cables.

The originals cables failed after almost 2 years of owning them. I use these primarily for gym use and occasionally work and school. I keep these connected to my Moto G which sits in my right front pocket. When I don't use them, they go in its original pouch. The fault was in the connector. I found out when I suddenly heard signal loss from both ends of my IEMs. So, I contacted BTG Audio about this and chose the SPC Midnight IEM Cable with an L-shaped connector to replace these. It cost me about $80 including shipping and has taken about a month for it to return. 

I had these for a couple weeks since they were returned with new cables, so I figured I should make a short review on the cables. There's not much to say about sound, as it sounds exactly the same as before. This will be more about its construction and durability.

The velvet-like texture and flexibility of the original cable will be something I will miss, but the braided cables along with the nylon feel a lot more rugged and secure.The metal L-shaped connector definitely feels sturdier than the original plastic one. Like the original cables, these can withstand very cold temperature and remain flexible after sitting in my car in Illinois weather. It is not as flexible as the old ones but that is because it is braided, but it can still roll up fine and fit in the pouch just fine. What's nice about this is that these cables never get tangled, especially with the y-connector sleeve up, which I must say is also easier to pull up than the originals with its longer design.

These cables with the metal connector are noticeably heavier. This is not really a problem. The monitors still sit very well in my ears without the ear attachments. I haven't ran with these so I can't comment about that. But for gym use such as lifting, they're just fine. I have had these unplugged by accident a couple times while I was doing some walking lunges with dumbbells. I am fine with that. With the old connector, if that were to happen, the cable would not get unplugged. Rather, my phone will fly out of my pocket and hit the ground, which has happened quite a few times before. Not only did it risk of breaking my phone, but I believe this was what added a huge strain on the original connector.

I always believed that the original cables made the GR07 BE look really cheap. Its dark candy cane pattern never pleased my eyes. But, I did not care that much, as I bought these for its value over its design. Its white and black-sleeve cable now makes it look very luxurious and sporty. It definitely looks nice when it's paired up with my Moto G.

I still use these the exact same way I have with the old ones. For the originals to last for about 2 years, I think they held up quite well. Its plastic construction in the connector left me no surprise when it started to lose connection. I was a little bummed out, and more so when I used some cheap sport earbuds during my wait. Having these returned to me, I love these IEMs even more. Hopefully, these will last me another 2 years or even more.

Special thanks to Brian for getting these fixed for me. I'm not trying to advertise his work, but I must say that he did a phenomenal job in making these IEMs even better. If you want your cables replaced professionally, he is the guy I would recommend.

Thank you for sharing but I am wondering does it worth it when you can buy a brand you pair for 30$ more?

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #2,450 of 2,697
warawara Thats nice,re-cabling......btw,for the same price gr07CE cld be had 2-3 weeks ago and gr07BE came down to $105 or so......and theres a possibility the deal hits the door again,for sure.....Sry Im not discouraging you. The price is is almost like a re-shelling cost of TF10,for example and so the duration of one month......enjoy with your new cable. I actually recommended btg to some but never known about the cost.....and anyway it comes to persobal preference and satisfaction tho......:D

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #2,451 of 2,697
They're both IEMs made by VSonic, so I doubt the quality of construction is much different.

Well,both are different issues altogether....gr07BE of his,broke after heavy usage so its obvious for any IEM to bite the dust,for that matter....on the other hand,vsd3/3S has connector issues but not all,that were out of the factory....and the dealers accepting the returns for replacements to whoever having issues and complaining about.....here are lot of issues with other reputed brands and chinese brands too, for example klipsh S4,brainwavz beta,R3,t-peos Altones just to name some and the same company given us some better IEMs.......

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #2,452 of 2,697
I am not discouraged at all. I knew where my money was going and I wanted some better cables instead of buying a replacement for some more dollars. Eighty bucks is a lot alright. I am a student so I try to save. I don't usually spend on myself, so those BEs are worth getting fixed imo.

As for the wait, I'm glad it's over. I don't want to deal with my spare earbuds or LA Fitness's radio ever again.

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #2,453 of 2,697
I am not discouraged at all. I knew where my money was going and I wanted some better cables instead of buying a replacement for some more dollars. Eighty bucks is a lot alright. I am a student so I try to save. I don't usually spend on myself, so those BEs are worth getting fixed imo.

As for the wait, I'm glad it's over. I don't want to deal with my spare earbuds or LA Fitness's radio ever again.

lol....but the cable is of excellent build,for sure.....and you wld've asked him to convert the shells as removable ones....:tongue_smile:

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #2,456 of 2,697
My BE's cable went bad on the left ear after a little more than 1 year of moderate use, about 5 hours a week or so. I probably won't re-cable them at the moment since I have the Hifiman RE-600 that I just got for the $200 sale but do understand why warawara wanted to re-cable them. If these things last about a year and you have to buy new ones each year, and the re-cable can last much longer, you are saving money.

Does anyone know if you can buy the GR07 pouch on it's own? I really like this pouch and the RE-600 doesn't include any pouch at all.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #2,457 of 2,697
My BE's cable went bad on the left ear after a little more than 1 year of moderate use, about 5 hours a week or so. I probably won't re-cable them at the moment since I have the Hifiman RE-600 that I just got for the $200 sale but do understand why warawara wanted to re-cable them. If these things last about a year and you have to buy new ones each year, and the re-cable can last much longer, you are saving money.

Does anyone know if you can buy the GR07 pouch on it's own? I really like this pouch and the RE-600 doesn't include any pouch at all.

Well its personal preference spending $80 for re-cabling.....and how long the re-cabling lasts?agains it depends on how its being treated.....tho the build and cable is of distintive grade......penonaudio and ebay hve the vsonic tips,clip for sale but not with that draw string velvet pouch....

Btw,how does the 600s sound compared to your GR07s?.....

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #2,458 of 2,697
Well its personal preference spending $80 for re-cabling.....and how long the re-cabling lasts?agains it depends on how its being treated.....tho the build and cable is of distintive grade......penonaudio and ebay hve the vsonic tips,clip for sale but not with that draw string velvet pouch....

Btw,how does the 600s sound compared to your GR07s?.....

I just got the 600 (not s) so still getting used to them. They don't provide very good tips and it sounded fairly poor with the default tips. Only when putting on the comply foam tips did things pick up. I'll just say for now that owners of the GR07 have good IEMs in their hands for such a price.

Maybe the only way to get another pouch is to buy a cheaper VSonic VSD1 and sell it and keep the pouch.

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #2,459 of 2,697
I just got the 600 (not s) so still getting used to them. They don't provide very good tips and it sounded fairly poor with the default tips. Only when putting on the comply foam tips did things pick up. I'll just say for now that owners of the GR07 have good IEMs in their hands for such a price.

Maybe the only way to get another pouch is to buy a cheaper VSonic VSD1 and sell it and keep the pouch.

Ok.....I ordered my 601LE+RE400 combo and still waiting for shipment update......hope the 400's tips fut my ears....and yeah you can do that (buying vsd1 for pouch) or buy a clamshell case,safer than pouch.....

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #2,460 of 2,697
One of our forumer here - Crazy3rdgen bought his 3rd pair of GR07be.His cable broke on his 2nd set also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back