VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions
Feb 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #211 of 2,697
I'll just leave this here:

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #212 of 2,697
Quote:
I'll just leave this here:

I'm glad you posted that again - cool song. My gr07be's are almost here (I pray), so I instead listened to it with my eledac/e12/ad900x combo, and like I said... very cool.

Here is a video of him playing it at a radio station:

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #214 of 2,697
Quote:

eek.gif

My grandma could walk to Canada faster than your package could get there!

And she's a slow walker
mad.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #216 of 2,697
Interesting you said that about the full size V Modas. I have the GR07 2 and was wondering If a full size head phone would be nice to get as a switch since I'm using the GR07 all the time now. Just not sure about those big cans, only if the sound was a big improvement I may want to try it. Since I'm new to the forum I don't know. Can someone let me know. Thanks

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #217 of 2,697
Quote:
Interesting you said that about the full size V Modas. I have the GR07 2 and was wondering If a full size head phone would be nice to get as a switch since I'm using the GR07 all the time now. Just not sure about those big cans, only if the sound was a big improvement I may want to try it. Since I'm new to the forum I don't know. Can someone let me know. Thanks

The main thing you'll gain from a full-sized is the soundstage. Even more so with open-air cans

My current full sized can is the Beyerdynamic DT880. It simply makes my GR07 sound compressed and unnatural. With the improved soundstage come benefits like more apparent detail resulting from the notes being more clearly separated, better imaging, and a new plane of immersion in the music.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #218 of 2,697
Quote:

I can recommend the HiFiMan HE-400 all day.  I first picked up my BE after extensive research (and taking a chance since they were fairly new at the time) and had them for about a month before getting my first full-size open headphone.  Again, after doing much research, I was led to choose the HE-400.  I can say using the BE at work/in transit and the HE-400 when I get home in the evenings is fantastic.  In my opinion, if you like the BE, the HE-400 will be perfect (if an open headphone is an option, that is) and will give you that fantastic bass extension and texture, only with more impact, soundstage, airiness, resolution and imaging (among other perks).  I think they share alot of similarities, but the full sized HE-400 is clearly more refined - having said that, it's amazing what the BE as an IEM can do in comparison.  I'm currently in the market for a closed full size and will be getting the Mr. Speakers MadDog soon, so I will report back on how they compare to the BE.  From what I read, I think I'll be pretty pleased.  
biggrin.gif
  Another alternative you can look into would be the Beyerdynamic DT-990 (open) or DT-770 (closed), though only based on things I've read (they were in my favs lists when I was doing research) but I've personally not tried them so I can't say for sure.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #219 of 2,697
Okay I started looking at Amazon. The Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro open is 185.00 free shipped is that better than the 660 or 880's? I saw the HiFi HE500 looked a lot more pricey. I noticed Joker liked the ATH M50 at only 135.00. Then Vmoda 80's I was worried about comfort. I wanted to avoid the amp is possible. So I guess is the DT 990 or ATH m50 unless the 880 are better. I must admit I really like your passionate reviews.  

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #220 of 2,697
Quote:
Okay I started looking at Amazon. The Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro open is 185.00 free shipped is that better than the 660 or 880's? I saw the HiFi HE500 looked a lot more pricey. I noticed Joker liked the ATH M50 at only 135.00. Then Vmoda 80's I was worried about comfort. I wanted to avoid the amp is possible. So I guess is the DT 990 or ATH m50 unless the 880 are better. I must admit I really like your passionate reviews.  

From everything I've read, the DT990 has extremely harsh treble. The DT880 is said to be the best Beyer from the previous generation, second to the T1/T5, etc.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #221 of 2,697
Quote:

The DT990 is the last flagship before the newer Tesla series, but it is often said that the DT880 is much better as it is more neutral.  The DT990 is U shaped, in that there is more emphases on the lower and higher regions with a more recessed midrange.  It may sound more fun, impactful and sparkly but would ultimately be different than the BE's overall sound - I've also heard the highs can be piercing.  If you intend to avoid using an amp, I would definitely recommend the Audio Technica M50 in that case, or possibly the DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32ohm or Custom One Pro.  You'll want something with a lower resistance (ohm) rating.  The M50 are a pretty popular entry point for full sized headphones it seems.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #222 of 2,697
Sounds like both of you are putting me on the right track. The m50's is a decent price range will it provide a big improvement over the GR07 to make it worth it? I read the Beyer DT 660 may not need an amp. But of course I would like to get to the best place possible without making baby steps within reason. Those reviews by David Malher are over the top. Thanks for the help.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #223 of 2,697
Quote:
Sounds like both of you are putting me on the right track. The m50's is a decent price range will it provide a big improvement over the GR07 to make it worth it? I read the Beyer DT 660 may not need an amp. But of course I would like to get to the best place possible without making baby steps within reason. Those reviews by David Malher are over the top. Thanks for the help.

The DT660 will have a very flat bass response it seems, compared to the M50 and DT770 which will have more of an emphasis on the bass regions.  While I've read alot, I haven't actually had an opportunity to try alot of these (or a variety of headphones for that matter) so I can't give examples.  What genres do you listen to?  Also, do you think you'd like a neutral, balanced sound (no emphasis on lows, mids or highs) or a more colored, 'fun' sound (more bass emphasis, more mid emphasis, more treble emphasis)? Price range?  I'll try to advise best I can!

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #224 of 2,697
I'm enjoying lots of different music. I work out to some more upbeat music to keep me going. At home I seem to listen to more classical so I can read and study. I noticed the HD25 looks like good sound and could be more versatile. Hopefully between the GR07 and a nice some nice cans, that will open up the sound more I maybe all set. Price range of 100-200. Thanks

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #225 of 2,697
Quote:
I'm enjoying lots of different music. I work out to some more upbeat music to keep me going. At home I seem to listen to more classical so I can read and study. I noticed the HD25 looks like good sound and could be more versatile. Hopefully between the GR07 and a nice some nice cans, that will open up the sound more I maybe all set. Price range of 100-200. Thanks

Ok, well I went back and did a little research on some of the headphones (and their comparison headphones) that I had been interested in, as well as did some research on popular options for classical that are still good all-around for other genres.  I think you may want to steer away from something like the M50 and HD25 as they have a greater emphasis on the lower region (the HD25 also being pretty aggressive sounding and with a smaller soundstage).  I would have to recommend looking into the Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD598, and Audio Technica AD900/AD900X for open-back options and Beyerdynamic DT770, SoundMagic HP100, and Audio Technica A900/A900X for closed-back options.  I would advise reading up on some reviews of these, and use this alot:   http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary  You can also create a thread listing your criteria and others will be able to give you advise that way too.  I've done alot of reading, but I'm still fairly new myself compared to most, and those who have tried alot more headphones will likely be able to assist you best.  Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back