VSONIC Focus 007 - The world's first planar-magnetic IEM - Info & expectations thread
May 21, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #16 of 86
Quote:
So many new exciting products. So little money...

True. It seems like VSONIC is on a IEM spree... 
popcorn.gif

May 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #18 of 86
Quote:
Quality over quantity I hope.

VSonic has always been pretty good at finding a good balance between the two.  Both quality and quantity, so we can have inexpensive and good-sounding IEMs - who knows though, maybe they'll start upping their game even more.  Their current lineup may not look very nice but they're sturdy as hell.

May 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #21 of 86
Vsonic? Those guys making that GR07 I own? Are making an IEM? That's planar magnetic? The technology I have always been curious about but have never heard before?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Ok, here are the things that need to happen in order for me to buy this:

- Cost less than $600 (considering we're talking about Vsonic here, that's a high chance)
- Don't have small dynamic range

Other than the obvious sibilance issues, the only thing I really dislike about my GR07 is how it's not dynamically superior at all to my ex-ADDIEMs, that is: just average. And how it thus loses its godlike-hood when listening at anything other than medium-low levels. And I've heard people complaining about how the LCD-3 gets spanked by electrostatics (that OTHER technology I wish I heard but am incapable of due to 3rd world country status...) on instrument separation and dynamics, so...
- Are better at the things I value most than the upcoming GR08/GR09

- Is released until June, 2013

Seriously, I won't be able to control myself. I may even give in by December this year =/

May 22, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #22 of 86
(I didn't mean for the text to get badly formatted like that, sorry)

Now I'm desperately going to read reviews on Hifiman orthos to try and find out whether poor imaging/dynamics is inherent to orthos and thus whether I should shoot down my hopes for this and just hope the GR08 is badass...

... but I don't want to! I want to own an IEM with exotic transducer technology, dammit! Yes, even more exotic than hybrid dynamic/BA.

May 22, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #23 of 86
I've found that most orthos have a liquid midrange that's caused by a lack of grain and very fast transients while still retaining some weight. They can be cranked up very loud without distorting. 

I'm hoping for something that's either treble neutral or with a slight treble tilt. Something with the clarity of the HE-6 would make my day.

May 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #24 of 86
If the HE-500 sound & abilities could be funneled into an IEM... I would..

Lose. My. Mind.

May 22, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #25 of 86
Indeed. After reading again that fascinating Inner  Fidelity article about Orthos, it sure seems that they would theoretically the ultimate Dynamic-Electrostatic hybrids, as their operation method would suggest... if it weren't for damping, that is. That can cause some imaging/soundstage issues, apparently.

So, how much would the size change affect how damping is handled, one must ask? This is going to be a veeery interesting IEM.

May 22, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #27 of 86
While the small and thin bars of neodymium (which itself is quite light) are a far cry from Yamaha's old "giant disc magnet with holes in it", I too am curious about the magnets.

I focus, however, on whether they are going to shrink that number of slender bars to fit in an IEM (which is hard to even imagine) or just use 3 or them and call it a day... and how that'd affect the sound.

May 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #28 of 86
Quote:
While the small and thin bars of neodymium (which itself is quite light) are a far cry from Yamaha's old "giant disc magnet with holes in it", I too am curious about the magnets.

I focus, however, on whether they are going to shrink that number of slender bars to fit in an IEM (which is hard to even imagine) or just use 3 or them and call it a day... and how that'd affect the sound.

Well it's not just the magnets themselves, the housing has to be really sturdy to counteract the opposing forces of the two arrays of magnets.

May 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #29 of 86
Looks interesting, I need to stop reading this site lol.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #30 of 86
Quote:
(I didn't mean for the text to get badly formatted like that, sorry)

Now I'm desperately going to read reviews on Hifiman orthos to try and find out whether poor imaging/dynamics is inherent to orthos and thus whether I should shoot down my hopes for this and just hope the GR08 is badass...

... but I don't want to! I want to own an IEM with exotic transducer technology, dammit! Yes, even more exotic than hybrid dynamic/BA.

Not at all. You should hear the Amfiton TDS-15's, among others... Depends entirely on the design and housing. Some orthos approach Stats for highs and details. Theres so many orthos out there you simply cannot make a decisive claim regarding that until all the factors are assessed.  Gonna be an interesting thing regardless.
Keep those hopes held high! 

Don't focus your research strictly on the new offerings, there's a ridiculous amount of impressions for all the older stuff too. newer is not always better. Just more popular, and more expensive also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back