VOTE: Headphones or earphones?
Jun 25, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #31 of 44

Quote:
I do agree that to get the same quality from an earphone as you would a headphone, you tend to pay a bit more.

Seriously, this has been around for ages, but the IEM market has changed a lot in the last couple of years. I think it's time to have another contest between the two directly. Don't just reiterate what others have said a long time ago, or judge either one without extensive listening. A sample of 30 is considered minimum for getting any discernible conclusion, and a double blind setting would be nice too.

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #33 of 44
Lots of good reasons to use earphones - portability, isolation, even SQ, given how good some of the new customs are supposed to be. But don't miss out on hearing a big, big headphone rig, the soundstage, the spaciousness, it's quite worth experiencing... same with speakers. 

Jun 26, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #34 of 44

Quote:
How can $400.00 dollar earphones, cost more than $5,000.00 Headphones?

He's saying that you'd have to pay more money to get an IEM of equivalent quality to a full-sized headphone. Why are you comparing $400 IEMs and $5,000 headphones. Where are you even finding a $5,000 headphone? What is this I don't even...

Jun 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #36 of 44
i would vote for both.....

i like the sound of my M30 with foobar2000 v1.0+ASIO but i would still spend my hard earn money to buy a very good earphones... why? i travel frequently and portable is a must.....

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #37 of 44
the best headphones are better than the best iem, try comparing any IEM to HD800s or Dennon D7000s or LCD2s

iems are what you wear when you want sound isolation, low profile, and portability. That is not to say there is no quality, but they cannot match the best headphones in terms of detail and soundstage

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #38 of 44
Depends on the situation.  Definately headphones if I am at home(none of my IEMs come close to my HD650), but IEMs are good choice on the go.  Since my favorite headphone is HD650, which is open, sound will leak out and isolation would be poor, and typically when I am out, there are alot of noise around me.  Therefore, it is best for me to use IEMs because they are very light, easy to carry, highly isolated, and there are some great sounding IEMs that do not need amping now.

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #39 of 44
I enjoy both, when I'm home it's my Grado's, when I'm at the beach, pool, walking or exercising It's IEM's.  They both have their place.

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #42 of 44
I just sold my only fullsize headphone to help buy an IEM so I guess I am in the IEM camp at the moment...

The challenge I have with a fullsize can is the required expensive amps etc to go along with it, plus they really are only usefull at home. Having said that an open headphone is really good for hearing the rest of your family as you listen to your music.

I may buy another fullsize headphone at some point, I'm just going to have to think about it long and hard before I do.

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #44 of 44

Quote:
Is there a tentative date for your review on that custom earphone to come out?

I am hoping sooner rather than later, but as time permits and as I feel I have a good handle on everything.  I can give my thoughts now, but they may change somewhat to a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back