Vote for my entry at the Greener Gadgets Competition!
Feb 4, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #31 of 46
honestly others have better ideas... sorry dude.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #33 of 46
everyone is thrashing that water meter when really it is a decent idea for people to UNDERSTAND conservation. Sure you see that your shower for US is like 2.5gpm but seeing that number means squat to most. Seeing the number go up on a scale means more to people. Look at BestBuy at their TV sections. They have little Watt meters hooked up so they can sell you a TV calibration aka turning down the backlight. People like to see these numbers. So yeah they might already have the numbers there but when they see the HUGE waste on items like a kitchen sink or a high flow shower head they start to understand conservation better. Understanding conservation is the first step in change.

You have a good idea but so do the others. If you ever go into a business presentation where you must defend or persuade people into your idea, i must say that keeping the same attitude and stark rudeness to others will turn them off... very much so. If this thread were linked back to your contest I can almost be for sure people wouldn't vote for you due to the trash talking.

In Marketing look is everything. Make something look good enough and it will sell like hot cakes. *cough* Vista / Macbook Air overheating problems / Blackberry Storm *cough* Even if your Marketing plan is to shotgun it out to as many people as possible and hope they dont read any of the other peoples ideas and blindly vote for yours... Wait a tic... almost sounds like most political campaigns!

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everyone is thrashing that water meter when really it is a decent idea for people to UNDERSTAND conservation. Sure you see that your shower for US is like 2.5gpm but seeing that number means squat to most. Seeing the number go up on a scale means more to people. Look at BestBuy at their TV sections. They have little Watt meters hooked up so they can sell you a TV calibration aka turning down the backlight. People like to see these numbers. So yeah they might already have the numbers there but when they see the HUGE waste on items like a kitchen sink or a high flow shower head they start to understand conservation better. Understanding conservation is the first step in change.

You have a good idea but so do the others. If you ever go into a business presentation where you must defend or persuade people into your idea, i must say that keeping the same attitude and stark rudeness to others will turn them off... very much so. If this thread were linked back to your contest I can almost be for sure people wouldn't vote for you due to the trash talking.

In Marketing look is everything. Make something look good enough and it will sell like hot cakes. *cough* Vista / Macbook Air overheating problems / Blackberry Storm *cough* Even if your Marketing plan is to shotgun it out to as many people as possible and hope they dont read any of the other peoples ideas and blindly vote for yours... Wait a tic... almost sounds like most political campaigns!

wooo.... minor anti-BB storm trolling detected
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First off, this is not trash talk. In design school, we do things called CRITIQUES, where we think critically about other people's ideas to point out flaws the original designer may have completely ignored, missed, or things that could be improved.

Now, here are a few things I would say in response to this:

1. If someone is interested in a product like this, they ALREADY KNOW about conservation.

2. The idea fails to take into account actual installation. It shows the same fitting in a flexible shower neck, on a chrome faucet, and in some PEX which hooks up to a toilet.

3. Users need one for their faucet, another for the toilet, another for the shower, for each one in their homes? And install them all? This seems like a gigantic pain in the ass, and people would rather just look up the info online.

4. A toilet flush uses a set amount of water. This amount could be printed on a small sticker and thrown on the toilet. This would use fewer resources, create less waste, create less pollution, and have a much lower impact when it reached the end of it's life.

5. Each one of these things would require bearings, magnets, a motor, microchips, and an LCD screen. Oh, and oil based plastic.

6. I doubt the movement of the water on a faucet would be enough energy to light up an LCD like that, or in a shower. A quick google search brought me to this page, which uses a small water wheel with small amounts of water, similar to a faucet: Waterwheel Demo
He points out small waterwheel (bigger than the one in this concept), doesn't even produce enough power to light up one single LED. Hence, the entire theory behind the project is completely flawed and unworkable, in my opinion, but at the very best unproven and murky.

Basically, I find the whole thing an extremely half-baked idea that appeals to people because of the theory, but ignorant as to how things actually work. It offers zero user research, zero information about sustainable design, zero information about competing products (www.watermeters.com, many more available too), etc. It's just a complete insult to design in general.

PS: Lastly, I know this is really anti P.C., but I'm pretty sure I know why it has a ton of votes. Look at that entry a bit longer to figure it out. If you don't get it.... PM me.

PPS: I'm all for people checking out as many as possible. I think most of them are ****ing awful though, but hey, what do I know. It's not like I'm getting a degree in this or anything.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS: Lastly, I know this is really anti P.C., but I'm pretty sure I know why it has a ton of votes. Look at that entry a bit longer to figure it out. If you don't get it.... PM me.

What, because she's an Israeli woman?

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #37 of 46
Because people tend to vote for countries they feel close to. I'm not sure WHAT the hell they were thinking, but it's hard to have a 'fair and even playing field' when some designers get votes purely because of their location.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Because people tend to vote for countries they feel close to. I'm not sure WHAT the hell they were thinking, but it's hard to have a 'fair and even playing field' when some designers get votes purely because of their location.

You know there's a chance you won't win. You post in one of our busiest sub-forums to ask for votes. It appears you may not or did not win. Then you bitch and moan about it, and then resort to what I think you're resorting to?

C'mon, man. I'm sorry, but you're coming off like a very poor loser at this point, and I have a feeling you'll look poorer and poorer the loser the more you continue to comment in your anger at not winning.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #39 of 46
Ah, so voting ends February 20th. In looking at the vote totals, you're doing pretty good, actually.

So stop bullying everyone into voting for you by not letting us make up our own minds--especially before you resort to the stupidity I fear you're heading to. And if I think you're going where you're going, I'll just delete your vote-begging thread, and you can ask for the votes elsewhere.

Yours is a nice design. There are a lot of entries, though. I can see why yours would do well in the vote--I can see why others would, too.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #40 of 46
No, nobody has lost or won. I just don't see how a location is relevant to a DESIGN contest. Should not the entry be judge based on the merit of it's design? Not the popularity of it's owner? Or the person's country and location?

When I have entered design contests in the past, they were judge BY design professionals, based on the merit of the actual idea, and we had to fill out a seperate sheet with our name, school, location, and contact info. This meant the judge saw an entry, and a NUMBER. That was fair. This whole contest is just infuriating to me, so far.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

No, nobody has lost or won. I just don't see how a location is relevant to a DESIGN contest. Should not the entry be judge based on the merit of it's design? Not the popularity of it's owner? Or the person's country and location?

When I have entered design contests in the past, they were judge BY design professionals, based on the merit of the actual idea, and we had to fill out a seperate sheet with our name, school, location, and contact info. This meant the judge saw an entry, and a NUMBER. That was fair. This whole contest is just infuriating to me, so far.

If you knew the terms of this contest--and the method by which votes would be made--then maybe you shouldn't have entered.

You're arguing about the lack of qualifications of the voters, and yet you come here, into a headphone audio forum's general discussion forum to ask for votes from anyone and everyone who might be able to help you win by voting in your favor--regardless of our qualifications, or lack of them.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

If you 100% believe this then why are you falling into line with the "sheep" and doing the same thing by posting it everywhere you can for votes? If you truly believe in the idea that the best design wins then shouldn't you just sit back and hope that it goes that way and if it doesn't then you get on and re-apply to a different contest?

With that I'm out of this thread.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #43 of 46
I told you. Because although I wasn't feeling real competitive with this when I entered, the sheer retardedness of some of the winning entries is basically insulting my entry, which is reasonably well thought out. If I lose to some of that crap I'm going to feel ... I mean... wow. I wouldn't even know what to say. Hey, I only attacked the 2nd largest energy consuming appliance in the home, used sustainable design theories, researched my user's needs, found a gap in existing products, refined my concept for more mounting locations, and took into consideration shipping and end of product life cycle, but hey, light up ****ing vinyl toys will save the world. That's just plain old disheartening.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you knew the terms of this contest--and the method by which votes would be made--then maybe you shouldn't have entered.

You're arguing about the lack of qualifications of the voters, and yet you come here, into a headphone audio forum's general discussion forum to ask for votes from anyone and everyone who might be able to help you win by voting in your favor--regardless of our qualifications, or lack of them.

If you see a design you truly think is better, as in, has research, lists materials, production, recycling, shipping, installation, user needs, target demographics, and all that while trying to actually save energy, be my guest. Please vote for that one. In fact, I wish there were more entries like that, since that is what good design is all about: considering lots of things, not just coming up with a clever pair of stick on eyeballs.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #45 of 46
And I'm not trying to sound bitchy. I'm really not. I want the best design to win, based on the merits of it's entry. There are a FEW on there, that I would consider good designs. I feel that I could actually compete with them... but most of the stuff that is currently the most popular is pretty sad.

Again, MAY THE BEST DESIGN WIN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back