Vote for my entry at the Greener Gadgets Competition!
Feb 2, 2009 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

cash68

1000+ Head-Fier
Core77 Presents: Greener Gadgets Design Competition

Vote for a fellow head-fier to make it to the finals in NYC!!!
biggrin.gif

The challenge was to design a product or gadget that was eco-friendly and solved a problem in our world.

I designed an indoor clothes/lingerie drying rack. If any ladies are reading this, I'm guessing you currently dry your undergarments on towelracks, doorknobs, or shower curtain rods. This is a better solution. Here's some slides:

497f5334e3631_lrg.jpg

497f5336103ea_lrg.jpg

497f533773b0b_lrg.jpg

Unlike some of the other entries, mine was actually researched, shows an existing product landscape, would actually work, ships flat, is 100% recyclable, uses zero energy, and has documentation that supports there is an actual need for something like this.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 46
Voted, cool idea and nice graphic/layout/design work!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 46
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif
I appreciate your vote very much! Spread the word and I might be going to NYC!

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 46
Vote Cast. Good Luck.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 46
Thank you everyone!
smily_headphones1.gif
I really appreciate it. If I win I'll say something in NYC about head-fi. hah.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 46
Seriously guys, could use some more help here. Currently getting clobbered by poorly thought out designs that wouldn't work in real life, lack thought about shipping, packaging, sustainable materials, recycling, user research, target demographics, and they actually USE more energy than they are worth. Half the ones that are winning are stupid things like light up LED toys, complex things that tell you how much energy/water you are using (couldn't a sticker do that?), or stick on evil eyes. It's BS. Help support a design that actually respects the entire design process, not just a rendering without any thinking behind it.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 46
Voted, definitely one of the better ideas of the bunch.

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 46
Voted for you, good luck.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 46
A lot of them have MAJOR flaws. the Beware water meter. Alright, ignoring the problems of installation (like it does), the main problem is all this complicated injection molded generator turbine LCD panel does is INFORM THE USER OF WATER USE. Well... couldn't the same thing be accomplished with a simple sticker? Like a sticker for the toilet that says each flush is 1.6 gallons, or each minute in the shower is X gallons? It is a much too complex design for what it accomplishes, which is mere awareness. It doesn't actually reduce any useage, nor save any energy. Plus you need one for each toilet, each faucet and each shower?

Stupid, stupid stupid idea.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of them have MAJOR flaws. the Beware water meter. Alright, ignoring the problems of installation (like it does), the main problem is all this complicated injection molded generator turbine LCD panel does is INFORM THE USER OF WATER USE. Well... couldn't the same thing be accomplished with a simple sticker? Like a sticker for the toilet that says each flush is 1.6 gallons, or each minute in the shower is X gallons? It is a much too complex design for what it accomplishes, which is mere awareness. It doesn't actually reduce any useage, nor save any energy. Plus you need one for each toilet, each faucet and each shower?

Stupid, stupid stupid idea.

I don't know about anyone else, but in the name of good competition i did not vote for you as I am a little turned off by your bashing of another product on an open forum. Very poor sportsmanship my friend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back