Vote for my entry at the Greener Gadgets Competition!
Feb 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #16 of 46
Call it what you like, but here is why I am frustrated.

This was a DESIGN contest. We were supposed to consider existing products, user needs, target demographics, materials, shipping, installation, and recycling. Secondly, it was supposed to actually HELP the environment.

Now, the problem I have is that MOST of the products here would not work! They are poorly thought out, lack research, lack comparisons to existing products, lack any argument for the need for that product, and don't mention shipping, materials, sustainability, or recycling.

On top of that, most of the ones that have the most votes don't even help the environment at all. All they do is display energy usage or water usage to the consumer! Now, yes, awareness is a good thing, but NOT at the cost of yet another product that needs to be produced, shipped, thrown away! Like I said above, couldn't mere user awareness be accomplished by something simple, with a smaller footprint on our environment?!

This is why I'm currently ticked off. The contest was supposed to be about DESIGN, using all the fundamental tools of design, but right now, most products on that last are horrible ideas. It has become nothing but a popularity contest, forcing people to do things like this post. Why? I feel my product, based on it's merits alone, is in the top ten. But currently, I'm not even close. THIS is why I'm badmouthing, because the contest said they wanted design, now they're turning it into a facebook/twitter/email/forum popularity contest.

I want the entries to be judged based on the MERIT of their design, not the pretty rendering or popularity contest. I do not even care if I win. I just don't want to lose to such poor entries.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THIS is why I'm badmouthing, because the contest said they wanted design, now they're turning it into a facebook/twitter/email/forum popularity contest.[/b]

Um... what do you think you're doing with this thread? Stop whining.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #19 of 46
Uh, yeah, I know. It sucks. Do you think I wanted to do this? I'd much rather have judges sort it out.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #20 of 46
well... i was joking earlier, i didn't vote for another entry. in fact, i didn't vote at all.

seems like you "want" us to judge based on "merit," to do that i'll have to go through all the entries... no way.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #21 of 46
Suit yourself, but let it be known that horrible ideas that aren't green at all are currently winning.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #22 of 46
You might want to rethink the 50 or so screws you'd need to attact it to the wall. Gotta be an easier way to attach it to a wall than 2 screws in EVERY non folding part.

just saying.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #23 of 46
I agree that the water meter is FAIL, I dont know why it has so many votes.

I like your idea and design, but you gotta lighten up a bit man, life's hard, competition is not always fair, and lot of ppl get away with a lot of things. Your first post was good, and genuine, but after that its going downhill with you seeming desperate and picking on the other projects. If you are seriously expecting people to just vote for you on this site, simply because you created a thread and asked for a vote, then you arent any better than any of the others in the competition.

But based on a fairly decent idea, and the fact that you are addressing a genuine issue, I gave you my vote, cos frankly I dont like the 2 leading ideas at all, they are far from practical and would not see any real world use at all.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to rethink the 50 or so screws you'd need to attact it to the wall. Gotta be an easier way to attach it to a wall than 2 screws in EVERY non folding part.

just saying.

I guess I wasn't clear. The number of holes are so you can shift the thing left or right on the wall, while still hitting wall studs. You do NOT need to put 68 screws in the wall. I just put holes in every lower piece so that if you wanted to align it with another piece of furniture, or center it on a wall, the location wasn't dictated by the wall studs. The holes are spaced 16" apart, just like studs, just many times for flexibility.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that the water meter is FAIL, I dont know why it has so many votes.

I like your idea and design, but you gotta lighten up a bit man, life's hard, competition is not always fair, and lot of ppl get away with a lot of things. Your first post was good, and genuine, but after that its going downhill with you seeming desperate and picking on the other projects. If you are seriously expecting people to just vote for you on this site, simply because you created a thread and asked for a vote, then you arent any better than any of the others in the competition.

But based on a fairly decent idea, and the fact that you are addressing a genuine issue, I gave you my vote, cos frankly I dont like the 2 leading ideas at all, they are far from practical and would not see any real world use at all.

Thanks, I'll try to have a more positive outlook. I don't want to be a poor sport or anything like that. It's just really frustrating when you actually try to do a good job at following the rules and listening to the goal of the project, then having half baked ideas that ignore the whole point of the contest win. We'll see what happens, I submitted mine to Notcot.org, and a bunch of green websites. Hopefully that will even things out.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #26 of 46
I understand this is a design contest, where whoever comes up with the best concept wins.

There are a few bold claims in the way you try to "market" it to would be customers. For one you neglect to mention the rise in indoor humidity, and what side effects that might cause (indoor climate deterioration, higher possibility of fungus problems, and so forth, not sure the guy who owns the block will like having to redo apartments because of this contraption).

Another thing you choose not to discuss is how much energy is need to manufacture the rack, processing the tree takes a lot of time and energy.

Since this is a concept you should try and take up some of the current design problems and limitations and your ideas on how to fix (no final answers just your thoughts) them if a company should choose to put it into production.

Now I know this is just a "fun" project for you, but I bet you entered to learn something. No pun intended, just though you might like some constructive criticism.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #27 of 46
Looks nice but a wire rack would do the job just as well but would be lighter and cheaper.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand this is a design contest, where whoever comes up with the best concept wins.

So far this is not the case. It was supposed to be a green gadget or device that helped the planet, and the current winners are some light up vinyl toys and overly complex usage meters. Neither help anything, neither reduce energy. The issue is the finalists are being determined by popularity and number of clicks, which has nothing to do with the merit of the design itself.

Quote:

There are a few bold claims in the way you try to "market" it to would be customers. For one you neglect to mention the rise in indoor humidity, and what side effects that might cause (indoor climate deterioration, higher possibility of fungus problems, and so forth, not sure the guy who owns the block will like having to redo apartments because of this contraption).

Put it near a window, or ventilate the area as needed. Poof. I currently live in an apartment without a bathroom fan, and we don't have mold problems. >shrug<

Quote:

Another thing you choose not to discuss is how much energy is need to manufacture the rack, processing the tree takes a lot of time and energy.

Bamboo is one of the fastest growing plants in the world, and as such it is very renewable resource. It takes a lot less time than using wood from trees. Aluminum is readily available from many scrap/recycling/refining areas. Unlike other concepts, this product does not use any heavy metals, fancy electronics, batteries that wear out, motors, or oil-based injection molded plastics.

Quote:

Since this is a concept you should try and take up some of the current design problems and limitations and your ideas on how to fix (no final answers just your thoughts) them if a company should choose to put it into production.

Now I know this is just a "fun" project for you, but I bet you entered to learn something. No pun intended, just though you might like some constructive criticism.

I appreciate your feedback. I really do. But please go look at some of the other entries. They don't even mention one quarter of the information that I did. It's pretty sad.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks nice but a wire rack would do the job just as well but would be lighter and cheaper.

They already exist, check the second board where I show existing products. Also, they're all floor mount models, which take up valuable space in small apartments.
A wire solution would be viable as a wall mount, but ultimately I chose bamboo as it is such a renewable resouce, is hypoallergenic, and naturally mold and mildew resistant. It also sets it apart in the marketplace, as there are no higher end drying racks that use warmer, more natural materials. At the end of the product life, the aluminum can be recycled, and the bamboo can eventually decompose.
I am not saying you are wrong in any of your statements, merely that I've thought about them already.
beerchug.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #30 of 46
Good points. I guess I wasn't looking at it from a marketing standpoint. I mean your product would certainly have an edge on the market with aesthetics and space savings over wire racks and other options out there.

edit: I don't know what the rules are, but I think you should have included another image showing the unit folded up against a wall and also showing it with just some of the bars folded down. I mean if you are going to advertise it as a space saver, you need to show it saving space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back