Voltage question
Apr 28, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you plug a 220V configured amp into a 110V mains outlet the amp’s power supply will put out roughly half the normal voltage. The amp might not work or it might be very distorted. Very unlikely to kill it though.

PHEW!
k701smile.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #17 of 23
I wouldn't worry about it. Think about what happens during a brownout.
The only things that I can think of that can be damaged by undervoltage are mechanical in nature.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #18 of 23
Just to be on the safe side...

I'm about to pull the plug on an amp which is configured for 110V. I live in the Netherlands and we use 220V. I was thinking of buying a voltage transformer to make up for that. Would I notice differences in sound (quality)? Would it have any other side effects to make it not worth the trouble?

Sorry if this has already been answered but I just want to make really really sure
smily_headphones1.gif

-Indra

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #19 of 23
You need a voltage converter that will supply enough watts to power the device.  So not any old converter will do.  You need to see what the draw from the device is, and triple that to be safe, and buy a step-down transformer with the appropriate ratings.

Some people insist that doing so degrades the sound.  It's not clear to me that this is the case, but I have only tried lowering 120V to 100V, not all the way from 220V to 120V.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #20 of 23

Thank you for the swift reply! I also read about the wattage needing to be good. Thanks for the tip on taking an extra margin.
I've also read different things about how it would affect sound quality. I guess I'll notice...or not since I cannot check the amp on 110V once I have it..we'll see...
wink_face.gif

Quote:
You need a voltage converter that will supply enough watts to power the device.  So not any old converter will do.  You need to see what the draw from the device is, and triple that to be safe, and buy a step-down transformer with the appropriate ratings.

Some people insist that doing so degrades the sound.  It's not clear to me that this is the case, but I have only tried lowering 120V to 100V, not all the way from 220V to 120V.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #22 of 23

Quote:
Just consider that there are at least a few transformers on your line already - power plant (HUGE voltage), power lines, control stations (10,000V+), power lines, local transformer boxes (220V or whatever is local), and a few in between.  One more isn't going to matter all that much...

That's generally my feeling about it, as well.

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #23 of 23
Hmm, I have a better feeling even, as it looks now the amp I'm lusting after will be able to switch between voltages so none of this is needed. Even better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back