Vmoda Crossfade LP, Why all the bad reviews?
Mar 26, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #106 of 181

Regardless they will be a step up in sound from your $20 headphones. Whether you get the most bang for your buck buying the LPs is a different story. If you can audition the cans you are interested in before buying that is really your best bet. The LP's would be good for everything you mentioned except alt rock. M50 is a decent all rounder, but it's bass heavy, warm sounding, and the mids are recessed so stuff like vocals and guitars aren't going to be prominent in the sound. The LP's have considerably less detail than the M50 in the mids and highs IMO. The 40x is more neutral, but sub bass is lacking. If you feel you want detailed music, I'd stay away from the LP's to be honest. 

After I think about it, if all you had was $20 HP's really any of these choices would probably be night and day to you, but your ears are really the best in telling you what you will like more. If you have no way to audition before you buy, make sure you buy from somewhere with a really good return policy.

Thanks alot. I am going to cross out the lps from my list. I have no way to audition the Headphones so i will take your advice and order it from Amazon. By the way, between the m40x and the m50 which is more durable? Also i forgot to chip in that my audio source is going to be my LG G2 smartphone and my HP Envy 17 laptop and i have no intention of getting an Amp. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #107 of 181
Thanks alot. I am going to cross out the lps from my list. I have no way to audition the Headphones so i will take your advice and order it from Amazon. By the way, between the m40x and the m50 which is more durable? Also i forgot to chip in that my audio source is going to be my LG G2 smartphone and my HP Envy 17 laptop and i have no intention of getting an Amp. 

The 40 & 50 have basically the same build. The differences are very minor. If you plan to use them primarily at home they are fine. If you are going to be out and about with them a lot, I would look at a smaller set. For me personally they are just too big and bulky as an every day commuter headphone. It's completely doable if you choose to use them for that purpose, they are just a little much IMO in size for that.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #108 of 181
  Please I am thinking of buying the crossfades lp headphones, this would be my first headphones over $20 and i listen to mainly alt rock, R&B, pop, hip hop and rap. i love bass but at the same time i dont want to sacrifice the details of the higher end of music. Do you think the lp would be a great choice? or perhaps should i just get audio technica ath m40x or m50?

If this is your first pair over 20$ they will probably sound amazing lol. How much are you getting the LP for? if your getting them for under $90 I'd say its worth. The lowest Ive seen for the m50x is $150

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #110 of 181
Around $90 for the LP or the 40x it's a choice between big, bulky, detail & neutral vs small, bassy, rolled off highs, less detailed, but fun.

I dunno these two choices are apples & oranges, but I guess since the LP's are being dropped that detail is more important than bass.

There might be something in the middle. Have you looked at the Audio Technica Solid Bass series? I haven't heard them, but they are supposed to have bass, detail, and are smaller headphones.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #111 of 181
The 40 & 50 have basically the same build. The differences are very minor. If you plan to use them primarily at home they are fine. If you are going to be out and about with them a lot, I would look at a smaller set. For me personally they are just too big and bulky as an every day commuter headphone. It's completely doable if you choose to use them for that purpose, they are just a little much IMO in size for that.

Thanks for the reply. I am afraid i would be commuting with them a lot. Would you be kind enough to recommend any headphone that would be appropriate for this while not sacrificing noticeable quality and detail in sound.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #112 of 181
Around $90 for the LP or the 40x it's a choice between big, bulky, detail & neutral vs small, bassy, rolled off highs, less detailed, but fun.

I dunno these two choices are apples & oranges, but I guess since the LP's are being dropped that detail is more important than bass.

There might be something in the middle. Have you looked at the Audio Technica Solid Bass series? I haven't heard them, but they are supposed to have bass, detail, and are smaller headphones.

Thanks i would check that out 

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #113 of 181
  Thanks for the reply. I am afraid i would be commuting with them a lot. Would you be kind enough to recommend any headphone that would be appropriate for this while not sacrificing noticeable quality and detail in sound.

Currently, I'm in the same boat as you looking for something in a similar price range for fun everyday use and is a little bit smaller. The only can I heard in stores that I liked that were small and would be good for commutes were the Beats MIXR. They just have a really fun sound to them that I really enjoyed. Lots of bass, good highs, really powerful and loud sound. They are not like the other Beats. Not to mention they fold up, interchangeable cables, and call answering functionality. However they are more pricey than I want to spend, and I'm not a youngin' keen on sporting that brand, so I'm still looking.

If you really do like bass and clarity, I suggest you hang out and chat in the Extreme Bass Club thread. I've been looking around in there and those guys could probably give a solid recommend for what you are looking for. That thread isn't all about the bass no treble, despite the name of the thread. There's a lot of posts about people looking for both bass and detail in there. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #114 of 181
Just got a pair of these!

They sound great now, and will probably improve when they're burned in..
They're a bit uncomfortable, as i have big ears and a bit of the ear pads rests on them.

I'm thinking about getting the thicker pads, but it'll cost a fortune if i buy them straight from v-moda (shipping costs)

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #116 of 181
go for it, best decision I made in terms of headphone comfort.

I use them at the gym because they stay on my head really well compared to every other pair ive tried. With the bigger pads do they still stay on as well?

May 1, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #119 of 181
Think about the other headphone packages available for ~$100, and this one is definitely a big winner in the portable, out-and-about, daily-driver headphone department; around 75% of the M-100 sound with great accessories and nigh-indestructible high-quality build.

May 1, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #120 of 181
Think about the other headphone packages available for ~$100, and this one is definitely a big winner in the portable, out-and-about, daily-driver headphone department; around 75% of the M-100 sound with great accessories and nigh-indestructible high-quality build.

yeah. i have the LP and the LP2. i know the LP2 isnt the greatest, but i wanted something better than the LP and able to be used at the gym. I found nothing but the LP2. Out of all my headphone purchases the LP2 at 99$ was easily the most bang for buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back