Vitamin-Fi
Jan 6, 2009 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

arnesto

500+ Head-Fier
I have been taking Mens One a Day for the past year. A co-worker was tellng me they weren't very good and I should be taking a capsule instead of a tablet vitamin.

I went to look for one at a local vitamin shop.
The ones they had has:
2000% of the daily recommended of thiamin.
500% of the daily recommended vitamin C.

Not sure if that is too much. Can anybody recommend a vitamin and mineral supplement that they have been taking.

I'm not interested in taking anything that is going to put my system into overdrive. Just something to take for healthy maintenance.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 16
A lot of vitamin pills do not even dissolve on the way from entrance to exit, and I have read of port-a-potty cleaners attesting to it. Soft gels are better. For minerals, there is NOTHING better than the liquid humic-shale extracts, or their equivalents. It is better to get vitamins and minerals in your food, but damn near impossible unless you want to join the Hunza.

Laz

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For minerals, there is NOTHING better than the liquid humic-shale extracts, or their equivalents. It is better to get vitamins and minerals in your food, but damn near impossible unless you want to join the Hunza.

Even better is eating long-pig. Shame it has fallen out of fashion.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 16
<dons Kevlar suit>

A great proportion of the vitamin industry is crap, but taking a multi-vitamin is a good thing. Buy something cheap that doesn't disagree with your stomach. You don't need 100% absorption, magic ultra-pure ingredient sources, etc. I buy mine at Costco in a big bottle for super-cheap. Vitamin C is vitamin C, no matter whether it was synthesized or extracted from a special orange.

Some vitamins are eliminated from your body easily and quickly (like vitamins B and C). It is virtually impossible to accidentally overdose on these. Other vitamins accumulate in your body and are eliminated slowly--these can easily build up and cause problems (vitamins A,D,E,K, if I recall correctly). Be careful of the dosages you take every day.

GNC, health food stores and the like are a huge industry, driven by marketing. Buy in if you wish. Don't expect it to solve any major health problems.

<removes Kevlar suit>

If you get bored on a Friday night, bet a friend/loved one/favorite goon that you can make their urine glow in the dark. Dose them with vitamin B12, wait a couple hours, and shine a black light into their urine. Collect wager money. Use money to buy beer. Continue with your Friday night.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 16
I use Numark Vitamin B Complex, which helps convert the food you eat in to energy. Good Luck.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 16
Eating long pig isn't entirely out of fashion. I've worked at a few companies where it was common practice to eat your own. Not to mention that session when I was chief of staff for a state senator....

But for daily nutrition, my nightly cocktail is a Centrum, two calcium tablets (I don't have dairy any longer) and a couple of aspirin. Haven't noticed any major changes, but those cover everything. I started taking those along with the health kick I began about seven months ago. I don't know how attributable it is to supplements, but I feel better at 36 than I did at 26.

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 16
Get a Vitamix (Grado GS-1000 grade blender) and blend organic greens in with bananas and other fruit. You'll get all the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and photofactors that vitamins don't generally have. Infact you can use it as food for up to 6mos and get super health, loose weight, purge yourself of all chems. Come on ya live in California, dude! Or you could down grade and buy some Nutrilite brand whole food vitamins for $80 a month.

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 16
GNC Mega Men Sports vitamin:

GNC life member
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even better is eating long-pig. Shame it has fallen out of fashion.

It won't help if the long pig is as mineral-depleted as you are. Again, eat a Hunza...

Laz

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 16
Jan 7, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #14 of 16
Avocado, is one of the most nutritious foods on earth. Lucky me, because I love Guacamole. I have been taking 2x 500uG B12 the last few days. Seems to make a difference, more than just the placebo effect.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 16
Taking Animal Pak but I think it's a big bunch of hype. The quality of it isn't really good either, after reading around on the internet and forums.

Shifting to Opti-Men. But that's just me, you may find your fancies somewhere else
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back