Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Aug 13, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #5,566 of 5,715
Reading the VEX sound profile description it kinda reminds me of the Phonix LE descriptions I’ve read previously 🤔 (source Twister comparison OG vs LE)
Anyone heard the LE or VEX have any thoughts on this?
I heard them back to back at CJ SG (back when the VE X was still Red Proto) and the most obvious difference was that the PLE sounded flatter (or less engaging or romantic) by comparison. You could say notes on the VE X were 3D and tactile (as if you could reach out and grab them), while notes on the PLE were more 2.5D. The VE X had bigger, more emotive instruments that ever-so-slightly overlapped for a more musical profile, while instruments on the PLE were calmer in energy and tidier in positioning. So, the VE X is the looser, bolder, more melodic one of the two, while the PLE is more organised, matter-of-fact and unexaggerated.

Aug 13, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #5,567 of 5,715
I heard them back to back at CJ SG (back when the VE X was still Red Proto) and the most obvious difference was that the PLE sounded flatter (or less engaging or romantic) by comparison. You could say notes on the VE X were 3D and tactile (as if you could reach out and grab them), while notes on the PLE were more 2.5D. The VE X had bigger, more emotive instruments that ever-so-slightly overlapped for a more musical profile, while instruments on the PLE were calmer in energy and tidier in positioning. So, the VE X is the looser, bolder, more melodic one of the two, while the PLE is more organised, matter-of-fact and unexaggerated.
This is awesome. Much appreciated. Thank you

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #5,568 of 5,715

Phonix more gental, more dense, like a gentalman.
VE X bolder, fun, tasteful bass, slightly more extended or younger vocals.
Fun time with all the boys this weekend.

IMG_4334.jpeg

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #5,569 of 5,715
Phonix more gental, more dense, like a gentalman.
VE X bolder, fun, tasteful bass, slightly more extended or younger vocals.
Fun time with all the boys this weekend.

IMG_4334.jpeg
Yeah, I agree. PHoNIX is like autumn, while the VE X is like spring. 'Awesome pic! The VE guys are always a blast. :D

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #5,570 of 5,715
I remember with the EXT, I was astounded at times by how musical it sounded, especially (I think) due to the tuning of the low end generally and mid-bass in particular, I'd guess.

I remember the bassline in a familiar Motown song for example, just seeming to come alive, infusing the song with such soul and swing and that intangible effect that makes you want to bob your head or flat out get up and dance :D

I'm hoping this description gives you an idea of what I loved about the EXT.
However, fit of the EXT was painful in one ear and I never bought it because of that.

So, with this in mind, I've been wondering mightily whether this new VE X would have that same kind of effect?
Maybe a bit much to hope for, haha, but would love to hear your thoughts on this (and anyone else's are welcome too of course!) :)

Aug 16, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #5,571 of 5,715
I remember with the EXT, I was astounded at times by how musical it sounded, especially (I think) due to the tuning of the low end generally and mid-bass in particular, I'd guess.

I remember the bassline in a familiar Motown song for example, just seeming to come alive, infusing the song with such soul and swing and that intangible effect that makes you want to bob your head or flat out get up and dance :D

I'm hoping this description gives you an idea of what I loved about the EXT.
However, fit of the EXT was painful in one ear and I never bought it because of that.

So, with this in mind, I've been wondering mightily whether this new VE X would have that same kind of effect?
Maybe a bit much to hope for, haha, but would love to hear your thoughts on this (and anyone else's are welcome too of course!) :)
When you say “effect,” do you mean in sound or ergonomics? Sonically, I can’t compare the VE X and EXT off memory. They’re too different, so I can’t use the same analogies or reaches I did with the Elysium and VE8. But, if you’re talking about comfort, the prototype at CanJam SG had a very similar shape to VE’s non-EXT universals (Elysium, PHoNIX, VE2-8). Obviously, the final product could be different. But, there’s good reason to believe that it’ll be more like their non-EXT releases in shape than the EXT. The VE X also doesn’t have the canal-positioned ESTs that the EXT has, which is the reason for the EXT’s divisive ergonomics to begin with.

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #5,572 of 5,715
Ironically the EXT is the most comfortable IEM for me, and I really enjoy its signature and timbre , to which is still unique today. VEX, despite its competency, is a more traditional VE IEM, which kinda overlaps with the PLE so it is harder to justify (plus it is more midbass than subbass).

Aug 17, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #5,573 of 5,715
When you say “effect,” do you mean in sound or ergonomics? Sonically, I can’t compare the VE X and EXT off memory. They’re too different, so I can’t use the same analogies or reaches I did with the Elysium and VE8. But, if you’re talking about comfort, the prototype at CanJam SG had a very similar shape to VE’s non-EXT universals (Elysium, PHoNIX, VE2-8). Obviously, the final product could be different. But, there’s good reason to believe that it’ll be more like their non-EXT releases in shape than the EXT. The VE X also doesn’t have the canal-positioned ESTs that the EXT has, which is the reason for the EXT’s divisive ergonomics to begin with.
Ha, I was purely asking in terms of sound, but sure, I understand if you can't do a memory comparison!

Wasn't sure if you owned EXT or not (and had access to the VE X), but it was worth a try and I appreciate the swift reply! :)

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #5,574 of 5,715
Just want to share my impressions from visiting the VE desk at CanJam London this weekend :)

I spent Saturday mostly sat behind the Elise Audio desk, helping out with the Fir Audio line up; basically the IEMs from Elise Audio's *extensive* line-up with which I was most familiar.
Big thank you to all the CanJam attendees who came up to listen and chat!
I had a blast chatting with you all, comparing impressions, answering questions and vicariously enjoying the various reactions to the Fir line-up :D

Prior to starting my stint at the Elise stall, I went over to the VE (Vision Ears) one.
My impressions here are mainly about the EXT actually, which might be old news to many of you - and for which I apologise - but you will see why shortly, and perhaps it might be helpful to those who haven't yet heard it (or those who need a timely reminder about it!) :)

I had been sent the EXT about a year ago as part of a review tour.
Unfortunately, I got very sick just at the time they arrived, and basically only ended up being able to spend an hour or two with them.
Nevertheless, two things struck me.
Firstly, the fit was almost perfect, like a custom, *except that* in one ear, the big bulge immediately after the IEM's nozzle was just really uncomfortable, as in literally painful in one ear.

I tried smaller and bigger tips, as best I could - I found it almost impossible to get most of my tips onto the very wide nozzles - a common issue I heard. So, regardless of the sound, given that they were actually slightly painful to wear, I doubted I could ever use them long-term.

Secondly, the sound! I had never heard a low end like it!
I just vividly remember listening to familiar songs, and feeling them come alive in a way I'd never experienced before.
For example, on an old Motown song, the bassline, which was usually not particularly noticeable, was suddenly *there*, present, anchoring the song and infusing it with the most gorgeous musicality.
This same kind of effect just kept on happening with songs from various genres.
My memory of other aspects of its sound is a bit fuzzy, but I think I recall feeling that it was quite an intimate tuning (perhaps due to the warmth from the low end), and maybe not that technical?

In any case, I dejectedly sent back the EXT at the end of my week with it.

About a year has passed since then (maybe more, maybe less; I have a poor sense of such things!), and the EXT has *haunted* me ever since.
I kept on thinking back to how it sounded, and wondering if I'd had longer with it, perhaps my ears might have become accustomed to the fit? I've heard that can happen with custom IEMs, where they feel uncomfortable at first, but then after a couple of weeks, you get used to it.

So, fast forward to CanJam 2023, and even before I'd attended, I'd made up my mind that no matter how many amazing shiny new IEMs were present, I was going to go to the VE stall and have another try to see if I could find some eartips that would let me get a fit that didn't hurt! Of course, this time I'd have someone from VE on hand to help me fit the eartips onto those huge nozzles too, removing another factor that stymied my efforts last time.

I got to speak to @Vision Ears head honcho Marcel, who was the perfect ambassador for the brand. Really patient, friendly and helpful. He showed me the trick of getting the eartips onto the EXT's nozzles and I'm happy to report that I am now able to do it unaided :D

Well, to my complete astonishment, a year later, the EXT fitted perfectly first time, even with the large size stock silicone eartips which I'd tried last time. Perhaps my ears have grown since then?! I have no explanation.
I eventually settled on my Flare Audio Earfoams.

If you don't know this UK brand, I can highly recommend their Earfoams. Note that they actually have two sets of eartips, both called Earfoams, but only one of which is actually foam; the other being silicone! Go figure...
However, the Earfoams (foam ones lol) are great because they have a strong core with a fairly wide bore, and just a thin layer of soft foam surrounding them.
I personally don't like the feel of silicone tips (nor Xelastec) in my ears, but foam tips are not recommended for IEMs with Bone Conduction Drivers; the idea being that they dampen the vibrations and hence reduce the effect of the BCD's.
However, I've not found that to be an issue with the thin foam on the Flare Audio tips, and use them with my Unique Melody IEMs to great effect!

AND, an added bonus with the EXT, the Earfoams are not as tall as most eartips, having quite a squat profile.
As such, they're a really good additional option in one's 'tip arsenal' when trying to find the perfect fit, especially for IEMs that have (or require) a deep insertion.
So for me, these were the ideal tips for the EXT.

So how about the sound this time round?
Did it match up to my possibly rose-tinted memories from my previous listen?
Well, getting the right fit and seal with the right eartips proved to be the final piece of the puzzle!
Whilst that utterly enchanting musicality was still very much present and correct, this time I heard the whole soundstage open up. It hugely impressed me how the EXT fused so much low end presence with so much space and air.
Huge clarity and detail. Shimmery, extended upper mids and treble. Technically excellent, but first and foremost, a joy to listen with! :)

I take my hat off to VE. Thanks again to Marcel; these IEMs were the highlight of the show for me! :)

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #5,575 of 5,715
I also listened to the VE 10, but only very briefly.
I just didn't want to override my memory of the EXT at that time you see.
So I can only share the briefest of impressions.
I listened to the Phonix back when I first listened to the EXT a year or so ago.
VE 10 reminding me in tuning of the Phonix; certainly more like that than like the EXT, but with the more authoritative low-end brought about by having a DD handling those frequencies.
The appearance was more understated than the photos had led me to believe, but I personally liked them.
Honestly, I think the VE 10 were really, really good.
I didn't *want* to listen anymore, because frankly the price is not something I'm able to spend at this time, so I didn't want to end up liking them too much :D
But for those who have the budget, I'd say they're definitely worth checking out.
For context, I've recently heard the EE Raven, Fir Rn6, Xe6 and Kr5 and various other high-end IEMs. I am confident VE10 stands easily alongside them all, with its own unique sound signature.
I think VE designed a very good tuning with the V10 - it seemed to me to be relatively more neutral than the EXT, but with a tinge of warmth and also power when required from the DD, not to mentioned a world-class technical performance.
Don't sleep on this one, metaphorically speaking, and - now I come to think of it - literally too! :wink:

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #5,576 of 5,715
I'm looking forward to trying Aura with SP3K Silver. SP3K has become my new favourite all rounder DAP; review to be done once Im back from my trip.
For my test list, I have the following:
1-Madoo typ 821.
2-Moondrop Solis II.
3-Subtonic storm.
4-Fitear Titan DC Ti.

Aug 26, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #5,577 of 5,715
I spent Saturday mostly sat behind the Elise Audio desk, helping out with the Fir Audio line up
Towards the end of the day someone at the Elise Audio desk helped locate the Fir Rn6 for me as it wasn’t immediately apparent where it was. There weren’t any spare seats though so I had to take the Rn6 with me to a couple of tables up. I wonder It that may have been you?

Aug 30, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #5,579 of 5,715
Just want to share my impressions from visiting the VE desk at CanJam London this weekend :)

I spent Saturday mostly sat behind the Elise Audio desk, helping out with the Fir Audio line up; basically the IEMs from Elise Audio's *extensive* line-up with which I was most familiar.
Big thank you to all the CanJam attendees who came up to listen and chat!
I had a blast chatting with you all, comparing impressions, answering questions and vicariously enjoying the various reactions to the Fir line-up :D

Prior to starting my stint at the Elise stall, I went over to the VE (Vision Ears) one.
My impressions here are mainly about the EXT actually, which might be old news to many of you - and for which I apologise - but you will see why shortly, and perhaps it might be helpful to those who haven't yet heard it (or those who need a timely reminder about it!) :)

I had been sent the EXT about a year ago as part of a review tour.
Unfortunately, I got very sick just at the time they arrived, and basically only ended up being able to spend an hour or two with them.
Nevertheless, two things struck me.
Firstly, the fit was almost perfect, like a custom, *except that* in one ear, the big bulge immediately after the IEM's nozzle was just really uncomfortable, as in literally painful in one ear.

I tried smaller and bigger tips, as best I could - I found it almost impossible to get most of my tips onto the very wide nozzles - a common issue I heard. So, regardless of the sound, given that they were actually slightly painful to wear, I doubted I could ever use them long-term.

Secondly, the sound! I had never heard a low end like it!
I just vividly remember listening to familiar songs, and feeling them come alive in a way I'd never experienced before.
For example, on an old Motown song, the bassline, which was usually not particularly noticeable, was suddenly *there*, present, anchoring the song and infusing it with the most gorgeous musicality.
This same kind of effect just kept on happening with songs from various genres.
My memory of other aspects of its sound is a bit fuzzy, but I think I recall feeling that it was quite an intimate tuning (perhaps due to the warmth from the low end), and maybe not that technical?

In any case, I dejectedly sent back the EXT at the end of my week with it.

About a year has passed since then (maybe more, maybe less; I have a poor sense of such things!), and the EXT has *haunted* me ever since.
I kept on thinking back to how it sounded, and wondering if I'd had longer with it, perhaps my ears might have become accustomed to the fit? I've heard that can happen with custom IEMs, where they feel uncomfortable at first, but then after a couple of weeks, you get used to it.

So, fast forward to CanJam 2023, and even before I'd attended, I'd made up my mind that no matter how many amazing shiny new IEMs were present, I was going to go to the VE stall and have another try to see if I could find some eartips that would let me get a fit that didn't hurt! Of course, this time I'd have someone from VE on hand to help me fit the eartips onto those huge nozzles too, removing another factor that stymied my efforts last time.

I got to speak to @Vision Ears head honcho Marcel, who was the perfect ambassador for the brand. Really patient, friendly and helpful. He showed me the trick of getting the eartips onto the EXT's nozzles and I'm happy to report that I am now able to do it unaided :D

Well, to my complete astonishment, a year later, the EXT fitted perfectly first time, even with the large size stock silicone eartips which I'd tried last time. Perhaps my ears have grown since then?! I have no explanation.
I eventually settled on my Flare Audio Earfoams.

If you don't know this UK brand, I can highly recommend their Earfoams. Note that they actually have two sets of eartips, both called Earfoams, but only one of which is actually foam; the other being silicone! Go figure...
However, the Earfoams (foam ones lol) are great because they have a strong core with a fairly wide bore, and just a thin layer of soft foam surrounding them.
I personally don't like the feel of silicone tips (nor Xelastec) in my ears, but foam tips are not recommended for IEMs with Bone Conduction Drivers; the idea being that they dampen the vibrations and hence reduce the effect of the BCD's.
However, I've not found that to be an issue with the thin foam on the Flare Audio tips, and use them with my Unique Melody IEMs to great effect!

AND, an added bonus with the EXT, the Earfoams are not as tall as most eartips, having quite a squat profile.
As such, they're a really good additional option in one's 'tip arsenal' when trying to find the perfect fit, especially for IEMs that have (or require) a deep insertion.
So for me, these were the ideal tips for the EXT.

So how about the sound this time round?
Did it match up to my possibly rose-tinted memories from my previous listen?
Well, getting the right fit and seal with the right eartips proved to be the final piece of the puzzle!
Whilst that utterly enchanting musicality was still very much present and correct, this time I heard the whole soundstage open up. It hugely impressed me how the EXT fused so much low end presence with so much space and air.
Huge clarity and detail. Shimmery, extended upper mids and treble. Technically excellent, but first and foremost, a joy to listen with! :)

I take my hat off to VE. Thanks again to Marcel; these IEMs were the highlight of the show for me! :)
Thank you for the recommendation of Flare Audio silicone Earfoams tips for the EXT! I just got myself some to try out on my set (with which I’ve had some ongoing comfort and fit issues), and first impressions are excellent! I’ll have to try them with my UM MEST as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back