Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Mar 24, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #4,936 of 5,715
I own Erlk and custom VE-8. Both are excellent, but Erlk is certainly a cut above for me. Not quite sure if Phonix sounds just like it on setting 2 though.

What did you mean by 8:13 gap?
It shows obvious gap in SQ while both universal fitting, just like the comparison of the quantity of drivers.

The customized version allows the adjusted sound to be emitted closer to the eardrum, just like the advantage of shooting closer to the target with a gun which has an extended barrel.

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #4,937 of 5,715
Based on the design of the IEMs (Phonix and EXT), I think it might be possible to have the EXT in customs in the future. But it might not be possible for the Phonix. Since EXT is in a plastic shell just like all previous Vision Ears IEMs, it should be possible to be produced in customs forms. However, for the Phonix, the carbon fiber shell is actually part of the IEM tuning. The materials used for the shell also play a part in the sound tuning as all materials have different acoustic properties. Similar to the previous flagship Erlkonig, the silver shell is actually part of the sound tuning too. It will be more difficult to produce the Phonix in customs forms as the shell is made from CNC carbon fiber. Although it is possible, just like other IEM producer Fitear from Japan produce full titanium shell Customs. But the cost and maintenance are very hard. For example re-fitting is extremely difficult. Therefore, I assume the Phonix will be just like the Erlkonig, there will not be a custom option for it.
I wonder if the addition on the new 9.2mm DD in the EXT is the reason customs aren't offered. With the Ely, you had a small single BA handling the lows. Now you have the larger DD, plus the 6mm DD and the 2 dual electrostatic drivers in the nozzle.

I would love for VE to be able to provide the EXT in CIEM as fit seems to be the biggest (really, only) issue folks are having with the EXT. It's the sole reason I had to let go of my pair.

Mar 24, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #4,938 of 5,715
Based on the design of the IEMs (Phonix and EXT), I think it might be possible to have the EXT in customs in the future. But it might not be possible for the Phonix. Since EXT is in a plastic shell just like all previous Vision Ears IEMs, it should be possible to be produced in customs forms. However, for the Phonix, the carbon fiber shell is actually part of the IEM tuning. The materials used for the shell also play a part in the sound tuning as all materials have different acoustic properties. Similar to the previous flagship Erlkonig, the silver shell is actually part of the sound tuning too. It will be more difficult to produce the Phonix in customs forms as the shell is made from CNC carbon fiber. Although it is possible, just like other IEM producer Fitear from Japan produce full titanium shell Customs. But the cost and maintenance are very hard. For example re-fitting is extremely difficult. Therefore, I assume the Phonix will be just like the Erlkonig, there will not be a custom option for it.
I personally think the EXT is harder to make in customs than Phoenix. let me elaborate...

EXT shape currently is due to the Electrostatic drives position really close to the outlet. On a Custom model, due to different ear shapes and sizes, this position would be hard to maintain and would affect the sound.

Phoenix on the other hand is a Full BA, unless they use open chamber or Tubeless design, the shell shouldn't be part of the sound signature. because the sound follows the tube to the outlet, making no/minimum contact to the shell itself. The shell in this case is more aesthetics.

Customs with different materials...this is not end of the world, as you said, Fitear does it. JH audio does it as play day. My Layla currently is Carbon Fiber infused with silver fibers. So...you get the idea. if the company wants...they can do in this case.

But...these comments are based on engineering analysis. VE should be the best one to confirm them.

I think they won't have a Custom design just because they were not meant to it. like other brands have designs that are uni only. Helps keeping customers happy as they have an uni to join the brand and helps the brand streamline the production to support demand. :)

my 2 cents... (a bit longer than a 2 cents...sorry) :p

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #4,939 of 5,715
It shows obvious gap in SQ while both universal fitting, just like the comparison of the quantity of drivers.

The customized version allows the adjusted sound to be emitted closer to the eardrum, just like the advantage of shooting closer to the target with a gun which has an extended barrel.
If you have a proper fit on a universal, there really is no advantage in sound quality. Also, some universals are only universals because the manufacturer cannot produce it to sound the same in custom form (for most ear anatomies). Obviously everyone’s ears are a bit different, so this may not apply to ears with difficult canals, etc.

The main advantage with a custom is increased noise isolation. This can manifest as a little bit extra bass. For my ears, I have some universals that fit and feel more comfortable than my customs. If you specifically need sound isolation though, then custom is the best way to go.

As I said before, my VE-8 is a custom, and I feel the Erlk is superior in bass, mids, and treble. I would say the quality of the IEM will override the advantage of a custom “if” the universal will fit you well.

Mar 24, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #4,940 of 5,715
IMG_20220324_212431.jpg

EXT is getting a portable amp to be her partner. It gives a punchier bass and better control overall. This proves that the EXT has a lot of potential yet to be explored by enthusiast. It already sounded really good out of a high end player, but with suitable ampification. The dynamic driver and electrostatic drivers can reach even high levels.

Mar 24, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #4,941 of 5,715
IMG_20220324_212431.jpg

EXT is getting a portable amp to be her partner. It gives a punchier bass and better control overall. This proves that the EXT has a lot of potential yet to be explored by enthusiast. It already sounded really good out of a high end player, but with suitable ampification. The dynamic driver and electrostatic drivers can reach even high levels.
Yep, EXT scales very well. With the C9 it sounds glorious.

Mar 24, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #4,942 of 5,715
IMG_20220324_212431.jpg

Definitely. This thing has tons of details when amped properly and sounds wonderful

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #4,943 of 5,715
If you have a proper fit on a universal, there really is no advantage in sound quality. Also, some universals are only universals because the manufacturer cannot produce it to sound the same in custom form (for most ear anatomies). Obviously everyone’s ears are a bit different, so this may not apply to ears with difficult canals, etc.

The main advantage with a custom is increased noise isolation. This can manifest as a little bit extra bass. For my ears, I have some universals that fit and feel more comfortable than my customs. If you specifically need sound isolation though, then custom is the best way to go.

As I said before, my VE-8 is a custom, and I feel the Erlk is superior in bass, mids, and treble. I would say the quality of the IEM will override the advantage of a custom “if” the universal will fit you well.
Have you heard of universal ve8 and would you comment it with your custom version?

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #4,944 of 5,715
Have you heard of universal ve8 and would you comment it with your custom version?
Yes, I have heard of it. I did not compare it to my custom as I purchased my custom before a universal of the VE-8 existed. I have compared both universal and custom versions of Ely, QDC VX, Noble Encore, and Layla. Same sound in each case with a bit more bass able to be heard. And much more isolation in each case which is to be expected. That said, while Ely and VE-8 fit well, my universal Luna and Traillii are more comfortable. I have learned to add a drop of ProEar oil to the side of my customs and that makes their fit much better and easier on my ears. Highly recommended.

Are you trying to decide if you want a universal or custom version of the VE-8?

Mar 25, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #4,945 of 5,715
Yes, I have heard of it. I did not compare it to my custom as I purchased my custom before a universal of the VE-8 existed. I have compared both universal and custom versions of Ely, QDC VX, Noble Encore, and Layla. Same sound in each case with a bit more bass able to be heard. And much more isolation in each case which is to be expected. That said, while Ely and VE-8 fit well, my universal Luna and Traillii are more comfortable. I have learned to add a drop of ProEar oil to the side of my customs and that makes their fit much better and easier on my ears. Highly recommended.

I don't think there is any reason not to choose the custom version if you don't consider resale value. The sheer comfort and not needing to fiddle with tips already make it worthwhile IMO. Not to mention the sound quality "improvements" due to proper seal.

Mar 25, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #4,946 of 5,715

I ordered custom ve8 after auditioning universal model. I should be very disappointed if I had gotten final custom pair with same sound .

To me, custom not only get more bass, but also details that make the sound more focused, especially micro dynamics out of the black background.

I don’t think universal can get equally proper seal as custom ones. If I try to insert universal into my ear canal as deep as custom, it will be fatal rather than proper.

I respect your opinions. I think it’s a pity that one can only use his own ears to feel during his entire life.

But I assume that: if one human has straight and wide canals, almost same sound quality can be gotten from both universal and custom; custom can get more and more superiority if one got narrower and narrower, and more twisted ear canal?

just an assumption.

Mar 25, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #4,947 of 5,715
I ordered custom ve8 after auditioning universal model. I should be very disappointed if I had gotten final custom pair with same sound .

To me, custom not only get more bass, but also details that make the sound more focused, especially micro dynamics out of the black background.

I don’t think universal can get equally proper seal as custom ones. If I try to insert universal into my ear canal as deep as custom, it will be fatal rather than proper.

I respect your opinions. I think it’s a pity that one can only use his own ears to feel during his entire life.

But I assume that: if one human has straight and wide canals, almost same sound quality can be gotten from both universal and custom; custom can get more and more superiority if one got narrower and narrower, and more twisted ear canal?

just an assumption.
Yes, that is why I stated any difference is largely dependent on your ear’s anatomy. In my case I get great sound out of universals. My issue is if the nozzle is too large, then they are usually uncomfortable. It sounds like your ears may have a more complex ear canal anatomy requiring a deeper insertion. Mine work better with a more shallow insertion.

In any event, I am sure you will enjoy your custom VE-8. By the way, if the fit is not comfortable enough, VE is great to work with and they will adjust it for you. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #4,948 of 5,715
Which cable is this please?
A bit of a late reply but I think it is the stock cable that comes with the ThieAudio Monarch MkII. But not 100% sure.

Mar 25, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #4,949 of 5,715
Sailing on through Friday with EXT + N8ii

IMG_4561.jpeg

Mar 26, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #4,950 of 5,715
I personally think the EXT is harder to make in customs than Phoenix. let me elaborate...

EXT shape currently is due to the Electrostatic drives position really close to the outlet. On a Custom model, due to different ear shapes and sizes, this position would be hard to maintain and would affect the sound.

Phoenix on the other hand is a Full BA, unless they use open chamber or Tubeless design, the shell shouldn't be part of the sound signature. because the sound follows the tube to the outlet, making no/minimum contact to the shell itself. The shell in this case is more aesthetics.

Customs with different materials...this is not end of the world, as you said, Fitear does it. JH audio does it as play day. My Layla currently is Carbon Fiber infused with silver fibers. So...you get the idea. if the company wants...they can do in this case.

But...these comments are based on engineering analysis. VE should be the best one to confirm them.

I think they won't have a Custom design just because they were not meant to it. like other brands have designs that are uni only. Helps keeping customers happy as they have an uni to join the brand and helps the brand streamline the production to support demand. :)

my 2 cents... (a bit longer than a 2 cents...sorry) :p

Actually, I do agree with your point that EXT is harder to make as a custom, recently I have a chat with my local dealer about EXT. He pointed out that the face plate of the EXT is a simi-open. This allows the flow of air and is a crucial part of the tuning of the EXT. The positioning of the simi-open valves and the internal Dynamic driver and the space is all part of the tuning and sound. Therefore, it is extremely unlikely that there will be an Custom for the EXT. Though, this is just a conversation from a dealer as a friend, it does not represents Vision Ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back