Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Mar 21, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #4,921 of 5,715
The Phonix is really a solid choice and can handle easily by any source. It has it best detail available out there and it is a very pleasant tunned all rounder. While my experience with the EXT is really good, but I have to point out that for some source it can be under powered. When it is powered by an external amp or portable amp, the EXT can have a very wide sound stage, almost like the Phonix.

The EXT may require a bit more effort in your hobby to unleash it's full potential. While the Phonix is an easier IEM to handle.
Listening to Phoenix I just forget that I am evaluating an IEM, it’s so musical, smooth, textured, (insert here any word you would use for this type of sound). As soon as I put it I get into relax mode. It’s been a hard impressions to put together. It is a good thing, because the majority of my use case is just enjoying music not analysing it.

EXT is a less smooth, but lot more clear with, as the name say, extended extremes of the frequency.

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #4,922 of 5,715
Listening to Phoenix I just forget that I am evaluating an IEM, it’s so musical, smooth, textured, (insert here any word you would use for this type of sound). As soon as I put it I get into relax mode. It’s been a hard impressions to put together. It is a good thing, because the majority of my use case is just enjoying music not analysing it.

EXT is a less smooth, but lot more clear with, as the name say, extended extremes of the frequency.

One day I have to listen to the Phonix. I own a VE8 and really like it, I imagine the Phonix is on an entirely different level.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #4,923 of 5,715
I remembered trying the V8 and Elysium quickly when the Elysium had just been released. Both of them stayed in my mind for different reasons, but they were the best I tried back then. Unfortunately, back then I tried the LX and there was not VE representation in Australia, so I went for the LX, if VE had any representation there back then. I would have definitely gone for V8 or Elysium.

Today, if we had phoenix or EXT in Custom, it would be a hard time for me to hold my wallet. they are great.

Mar 21, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #4,924 of 5,715
Roger Waters + Phoenix = unintentional smiles.

Just experienced some of the best reproduction of this album in a good time.

Mar 21, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #4,925 of 5,715
I remembered trying the V8 and Elysium quickly when the Elysium had just been released. Both of them stayed in my mind for different reasons, but they were the best I tried back then. Unfortunately, back then I tried the LX and there was not VE representation in Australia, so I went for the LX, if VE had any representation there back then. I would have definitely gone for V8 or Elysium.

Today, if we had phoenix or EXT in Custom, it would be a hard time for me to hold my wallet. they are great.

I had the LX just about a month before getting the VE8 last year, and both are great iems in their own ways. But, due to the VE8’s easier fit and sound that is more ‘relaxing’ on the ears (as I listen to mostly jazz and classical music, instrumentals and some vocals), I have decided to keep the VE8 as my daily go-to iem, and deciding to part ways with the LX.

If I had a choice to make another VE iem purchase, it would have to retain most of VE8’s sound and fit without overemphasizing the low end and highs.

A2DCBB29-CCD8-4640-92B6-CBADE381DB3F.jpeg
158CABAA-7BDC-4478-A339-B11B19F125E3.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #4,926 of 5,715
I had the LX just about a month before getting the VE8 last year, and both are great iems in their own ways. But, due to the VE8’s easier fit and sound that is more ‘relaxing’ on the ears (as I listen to mostly instrumental, jazz and some vocals), I have decided to keep the VE8 as my daily go-to iem, and deciding to part ways with the LX.

If I had a choice to make another VE iem purchase, it would have to retain most of VE8’s sound and fit without overemphasizing the low end and highs.

If you have a chance to try the duo EXT/Phoenix You wont regret. They follow different directions in the tuning, but both are extremely well made and can easily live side by side on anyone’s collection.

Phoenix is a safe tuning (trying to avoid comparing to 12t yet) on a new level in details/resolution and everything else. Relaxing and musical.

EXT is something unexpected (for me) looking at the driver configuration. Low end is addicting in this one. Upper mids may sound dry for some, but to my songs they are nice. Highs are well defined and forward, but not shouty. (“Gojira - Fortitude” sounds amazing in it, if you like it)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #4,928 of 5,715
Ve8 custom is almost on par with Phoenix by better lows and mids but inferior highs. if talking about universal both, basically it will be a 8:13 gap.
OK, I just can't take it any more :scream:. It's Phonix not Phoenix. :pray:

Mar 23, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #4,929 of 5,715
Ve8 custom is almost on par with Phoenix by better lows and mids but inferior highs. if talking about universal both, basically it will be a 8:13 gap.
I own Erlk and custom VE-8. Both are excellent, but Erlk is certainly a cut above for me. Not quite sure if Phonix sounds just like it on setting 2 though.

What did you mean by 8:13 gap?

Mar 23, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #4,931 of 5,715
Mar 23, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #4,933 of 5,715
If you have a chance to try the duo EXT/Phoenix You wont regret. They follow different directions in the tuning, but both are extremely well made and can easily live side by side on anyone’s collection.

Phoenix is a safe tuning (trying to avoid comparing to 12t yet) on a new level in details/resolution and everything else. Relaxing and musical.

EXT is something unexpected (for me) looking at the driver configuration. Low end is addicting in this one. Upper mids may sound dry for some, but to my songs they are nice. Highs are well defined and forward, but not shouty. (“Gojira - Fortitude” sounds amazing in it, if you like it)

Thanks for the detailed impressions and comparisons. This would likely be a blind purchase, as there are no iem shops nearby where I can listen to a demo set.

When describing the Phönix, I noticed you mentioned ‘smooth’ and ‘textured’ with safe tuning. Do you feel these qualities are similar to VE8’s warm and relaxed presentation of its sound/tuning, only with slightly higher resolution and subtle improvements in imaging/dynamics?

And, for fit, would you say shape, fit and comfort of Phönix are similar to VE8 universal-fit?

Thanks, again.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #4,935 of 5,715

Based on the design of the IEMs (Phonix and EXT), I think it might be possible to have the EXT in customs in the future. But it might not be possible for the Phonix. Since EXT is in a plastic shell just like all previous Vision Ears IEMs, it should be possible to be produced in customs forms. However, for the Phonix, the carbon fiber shell is actually part of the IEM tuning. The materials used for the shell also play a part in the sound tuning as all materials have different acoustic properties. Similar to the previous flagship Erlkonig, the silver shell is actually part of the sound tuning too. It will be more difficult to produce the Phonix in customs forms as the shell is made from CNC carbon fiber. Although it is possible, just like other IEM producer Fitear from Japan produce full titanium shell Customs. But the cost and maintenance are very hard. For example re-fitting is extremely difficult. Therefore, I assume the Phonix will be just like the Erlkonig, there will not be a custom option for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back