Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Dec 10, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #4,336 of 5,715
Cheers. Yes, Phonix will probably arrive next year though.

I am regretting selling my silver cable. Need to look at getting some mid-priced decent one.
@GG64 : don’t you have an eletech Plato to sell ?

Dec 10, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #4,338 of 5,715
I was back at my local dealer‘s shop to do some AB testing (still patiently waiting for my Phonix to arrive....heavily backordered in HK. Mine should land before the end of December, they say.). Here are some quick thoughts of what I‘ve heard - I think it is in line with your observations.

Quick disclaimer: I am able to identify some subtle differences between the Erlk OG and LE, with the LE being warmer and notes being more dense.
Both Phonix and Erlk LE tested with the stock cable on my SP2000Cu. Erlk LE on Setting 2.

Both the LE and the Phonix are tuned similarly, but the LE is slightly warmer, more laid back and more musical sounding. Phonix is slightly more a W for me, more airy and energetic, while the LE is more neutral.

The Phonix bass punches like Setting 2 but with more texture and tightness, also with more subbass rumble and less midbass emphasis. LE‘s bass also pack a punch but sounds softer with an elevated midbass (perhaps that’s why it sounds a bit more musical to me).

No competition for the treble, Phonix wins hands down. It also wins in other technical departments such as imaging and resolution, albeit only slightly.

Mids is where I think why some would keep holding on to the LE. Phonix mids are slightly more forward, but the biggest difference here is the note weight: the LE sounds - for the lack of a better description - extremely heavy. As in you can “feel” each note has some kind of weight behind it. Vocals sound really, really dense and textured, instruments sound heavy and has more body than, frankly speaking, anything else. The Phonix also has substantial body behind its notes (similar to the OG Erlky), but not on the same level as the LE. It sounds more airy in comparison.

Overall speaking I think the LE‘s note weight really separates it from the Phonix (and anything else tbh) - it is something special. I don’t think I would ever describe music as heavy, but here we are. Just think about the weight difference between the Phonix and the LE - that‘s how heavy the LE sounds, and it does wonders for vocals. I’d say LE has the best sounding vocals I have ever heard of before because of the substantial body behind its delivery. With that being said, the Phonix sounds effortless, coherent and balanced, and I think it would appeal to a wider audience based on its tuning. I’d say the Phonix could replace the OG Erlky, but the LE? That becomes a difficult question.

Which one would I pick?
1639152621414.jpeg

At least land before Christmas, please? Not next year?

BBF79F95-AFAA-4E70-B0E9-7ADA2BDC9754.jpeg
Your description of Note Weight is the correct term in my opinion. Good description.

From your description it sounds like the Phonix is in more of a battle with the Traillii sound wise than the Erlk LE ( in terms of similarity). From the descriptions I have read I am not sure it can win that battle for me as I do prefer the Traillii overall to the LE. Both are 1 and 2 though in my opinion. One day I will audition the Phonix as well and know for sure. Tks.

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #4,339 of 5,715
The EXT really shines with good desktop setup (well M17 in desktop mode is desktop grade to me...)
I guess most people wouldn't believe in ears can sound that good and that big!
Wow...

Here is a cable upgrade which is not an audio cable that I didn't expect would make such a big difference...at 349$ well this one is money well spent for using FiiO M17 in desktop mode. I really was so so doubtful changing the power unit wouldn't do that much of a difference and I was so wrong the iPower Elite really lifted the M17 to new heights but now with the whole chain optimized it's even better! Pitch black background with the ANC of the Supanova and the dynamic range has reached elite levels... listening to Vision Ears EXT with the setup and my jaw is on the floor really...

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #4,340 of 5,715
The EXT really shines with good desktop setup (well M17 in desktop mode is desktop grade to me...)
I guess most people wouldn't believe in ears can sound that good and that big!
Wow...
I'm sure they do...the problem is most people won't use in-ears with a desktop setup. Makes sense though, many top IEMs scale with power.

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #4,341 of 5,715
I'm sure they do...the problem is most people won't use in-ears with a desktop setup. Makes sense though, many top IEMs scale with power.
Yes they don't but in the case of Elysium and EXT they scale big time... the assumption that only headphones scale is wrong IMHO. One of the deceptive aspect of modern IEM with low to ultra low impedance is that given Ohm's law that also means they need a lot of current... so they can be driven loud enough sure but well enough is another story...

What I like about M17 is that it gives you good power on battery but just the extra desktop grade stuff when you plug it :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #4,343 of 5,715
Any Phonix users here use the Azla tips provided in their packaging? Does any1 find it hard to insert?
Tried using them on the EXT, a no for me,doesn't seal properly.

I'd imagine myself using Spinfit CP145 for Phonix for better comfort and fit.

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #4,344 of 5,715
Any Phonix users here use the Azla tips provided in their packaging? Does any1 find it hard to insert?
Yeah, I use the AZLA tips with the PHoNIX. There’s a bit more friction when inserting them compared to other tips, but that’s just the nature of the tips, I’m afraid. They’re stickier (or more tacky) than most other tips. On the bright side, they’ll stay in much better once you get past that slightly-irritating insertion. :D

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #4,345 of 5,715
Yeah, I use the AZLA tips with the PHoNIX. There’s a bit more friction when inserting them compared to other tips, but that’s just the nature of the tips, I’m afraid. They’re stickier (or more tacky) than most other tips. On the bright side, they’ll stay in much better once you get past that slightly-irritating insertion. :D
Does the Crystal Earfit works on them too? I tried a few times last night but to no avail

Dec 12, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #4,350 of 5,715
I don’t have those, so I can’t say, unfortunately.
Aren't the stock ones Azla Crystal? Looks exactly the same as the Crystals I bought standalone.

Edit: Unless the Phonix comes with different tip accessories than the EXT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back