Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 19, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #3,946 of 5,715
Did anyone else find the stock cable material/outer coating to be a little irritating or is it just me? Seems almost everyone has swapped the cable.
That surprises you? Look what happened with Traillii, and that came with a proper high-end multi-kilobuck cable. Folks around here are plain nuts. But that's what keeps us coming back for more! 😁

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #3,948 of 5,715
I.....never touched the stock cable😂
Think any gold+silver is a good match, but cable rolling is very personal preference.

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #3,949 of 5,715
Gotta say those are the weirdest looking tips I've seen. What are they?
You should give double-flange tips a try. I've found them to oftentimes be the most "vanishing" of ear tips. I believe both Piotr (Custom Art) and Joseph Mou (Jomo/MMR) endorse them if you want the most custom-like sound out of their universal demos as well.

On a different note, any Adele fans here that care to sample her new album on EXT? This is the type of album I'm going to grade EXT's mids on. It'll also be a good test to hear how EXT picks up on the subtle but deep rumble that appears on some of these tracks.
I gave the new Adele record my first listen yesterday and... I have my thoughts on it. I need a second listen for sure, but I definitely liked certain tracks more than others. A couple of my highlights have that subtle, but deep rumble that you're talking about; Strangers By Nature and My Little Love. They come in brilliantly on the EXT; creeping in just close enough to the lead vocals to be noticed, but not to the point that it overshadows or takes away from them.

As far as the mids go, I'd say it handles the different shades that Adele's voice takes on rather nicely. Whether it's the more soothing My Little Love, the more processed Cry Your Heart Out, the raw, almost-unmixed To Be Loved or the weirdly (almost-unsettlingly) intimate Strangers By Nature, you'll always get an underlying quality of earthiness and weight rooted in its bass and centre-mids, with the higher, brassy-er notes sitting on par or just behind, so it never gets too coarse as she climbs up the higher registers. The PHoNIX will be a bit more forthright there. It'll more clearly show you how different Adele's voice (or how it's mixed) is from track to track, while the EXT keeps it slightly more consistent for listenability's sake.

For subtle rumbles, I'd also recommend you check out a tune from the new Silk Sonic record called Fly As Me. During the parts in the verse where the guitars, synths and horns just hold the note - the 10th beat in every 16-beat repetition - the electric bass slowly fades, and then a much deeper, more sub-bass-y synth bass comes in its place, and it's absolutely beautiful on a DD like the EXT's.

Also, just because I think it's an absolutely stunning arrangement and recording, check this one out from Cody Fry and his orchestra. It's a singer-songwriter tune like you've never heard it before. :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #3,950 of 5,715
You should give double-flange tips a try. I've found them to oftentimes be the most "vanishing" of ear tips. I believe both Piotr (Custom Art) and Joseph Mou (Jomo/MMR) endorse it if you want the most custom-like sound out of their universal demos as well.

I gave the new Adele record my first listen yesterday and... I have my thoughts on it. I need a second listen for sure, but I definitely liked certain tracks more than others. A couple of my highlights have that subtle, but deep rumble that you're talking about; Strangers By Nature and My Little Love. They come in brilliantly on the EXT; creeping in just close enough to the lead vocals to be noticed, but not to the point that it overshadows or takes away from them.

As far as the mids go, I'd say it handles the different shades that Adele's voice takes on rather nicely. Whether it's the more soothing My Little Love, the more processed Cry Your Heart Out, the raw, almost-unmixed To Be Loved or the weirdly (almost-unsettlingly) intimate Strangers By Nature, you'll always get an underlying quality of earthiness and weight rooted in its bass and centre-mids, with the higher, brassy-er notes sitting on par or just behind, so it never gets too coarse as she climbs up the higher registers. The PHoNIX will be a bit more forthright there. It'll more clearly show you how different Adele's voice (or how it's mixed) is from track to track, while the EXT keeps it slightly more consistent for listenability's sake.

For subtle rumbles, I'd also recommend you check out a tune from the new Silk Sonic record called Fly As Me. During the parts in the verse where the guitars, synths and horns just hold the note - the 10th bar in every 16-bar repetition - the electric bass slowly fades, and then a much deeper, more sub-bass-y synth bass comes in its place, and it's absolutely beautiful on a DD like the EXT's.

Also, just because I think it's an absolutely stunning arrangement and recording, check this one out from Cody Fry and his orchestra. It's a singer-songwriter tune like you've never heard it before. :wink:

Brilliant stuff Daniel, I'll give these all a listen. The way you describe the EXT just EXTends the pain of not being able to get one... 😥

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #3,951 of 5,715
Brilliant stuff Daniel, I'll give these all a listen. The way you describe the EXT just EXTends the pain of not being able to get one... 😥
Cheers, man. ‘A small correction on the Fly As Me track, though. The bit I’m talking about would be the 10th beat in every 16-beat repetition. It’s on the 2 of bar 3 in every 4-bar repetition. Jargon aside, I’m sure you’ll get it immediately when you listen to it. :D

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #3,952 of 5,715
Cheers, man. ‘A small correction on the Fly As Me track, though. The bit I’m talking about would be the 10th beat in every 16-beat repetition. It’s on the 2 of bar 3 in every 4-bar repetition. Jargon aside, I’m sure you’ll get it immediately when you listen to it. :D
Let's hope my enthusiasm doesn't fizzle with the painfully slow time to market.

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #3,953 of 5,715
Let's hope my enthusiasm doesn't fizzle with the painfully slow time to market.
Yeah, but you can listen to the track (and the rest of that awesome album) on the EVO in the mean time. I’m sure they’ll all groove stunningly on that IEM. After Last Night should be a particular delight with Thundercat on bass. That guy has a ridiculously distinct sound as well.

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #3,954 of 5,715
That surprises you? Look what happened with Traillii, and that came with a proper high-end multi-kilobuck cable. Folks around here are plain nuts. But that's what keeps us coming back for more! 😁
Nah, less cable talk is fine..😁

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #3,955 of 5,715
Yeah, but you can listen to the track (and the rest of that awesome album) on the EVO in the mean time. I’m sure they’ll all groove stunningly on that IEM. After Last Night should be a particular delight with Thundercat on bass. That guy has a ridiculously distinct sound as well.
And you're quite right. While Silk Sonic is not exactly my type of mysic, I really enjoyed both the tracks you suggested, especially After Last Night. The instruments are so vivid, and with EVO it's like having a mini drum set inside my head, I can literally feel every kick, which is the ultimate expression of bass in an IEM. If EXT comes even close to that sort of sensation, it'll be quite something. The synth bass in Underground is exactly why a DD is essential, and the exlosive orchestration is so cool. You can't hear it, it has to be felt. Brilliant track that. It'll be fascinating to hear how EXT presents it, and whether it can give it as much space as EVO. Make no mistake, EXT isn't a slam dunk; if it's going to displace EVO it's going to have to be exceptional. If - and that's a big if - it pulls it off, it'll take the top spot on my ranking list, which EVO currently occupies.

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #3,956 of 5,715
1637438643998.png

Nov 20, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #3,958 of 5,715

Demoed both at my local dealer ytd, don't want to go into details but the EXT has a certain charm on it but I still prefer Phonix overall

Care to share your favorite feature tipping the scale toward the Phönix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back