Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 19, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #3,917 of 5,715
In which case, @metaljem77 let's have it! 😁
Well, if we're talking Erkly v Phonix, based on my short time with the Erkly I would say the Phonix is certainly a more comfortable wear. Also, the Phonix treble seems more controlled and appealing compared to the Erkly. Most of the music I've been listening to with the Phonix so far has been classic rock. It's been largely a very enjoyable experience. VE's tuning continues to shine.

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #3,918 of 5,715
I’m afraid I have to disappoint in terms of describing comparisons. And sorry, so excited about EXT that I forgot to mention which IEM haha. Burn me but I felt that Erlk wasn’t for me, even with the heaviest bass setting. I think if I listened to jazz, vocal or classical music, that might be a different story. Phonix is unlikely to be my cup of tea, esp hearing EXT now and based on the comparisons I’ve been reading on EXT and Phonix. So I’ll give it a go, pardon my crude/basic comparisons of EXT to EVO. EVO (and LX) bring more bass slam and quantity. But I think what EXT makes up for is in terms of precision. Mids are clean (don’t bleed?) and treble isn’t sibilant. EVO and LX are IEMs when I want the bass to slam and hit hard, like for eg when I want a good crazy workout. EXT’s bass is there, hits so cleanly that I feel I want to be focused so that I can take in all those wonderful details. But I have to say, this is just fresh out of the box and I’m hoping burn in will just keep improving the sound and keep its bass impact intact :wink:

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #3,919 of 5,715
Tried listening to EDM (ATB’s Long Way Home) with EXT and EVO. I prefer EXT’s presentation. Certain beats with EVO were a little too hard hitting which I think will be fatiguing to me. Asian pop with EXT is also rendered very well.

Nov 19, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #3,920 of 5,715
Tried listening to EDM (ATB’s Long Way Home) with EXT and EVO. I prefer EXT’s presentation. Certain beats with EVO were a little too hard hitting which I think will be fatiguing to me. Asian pop with EXT is also rendered very well.
Hard hitting in bass or upper mids? Since EVO is the only IEM that gets a flawless 10/10 for bass from me, it's the other freqs that I'm looking to EXT to impress me with. Smoother mids + a more comfortable fit may just give EXT the perfect balance for my liking.

Nov 19, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #3,921 of 5,715
ATB <3

I was listening to the Elysian X last night, and objectively I’d say it is tuned “more normal” than the EXT. But man, what VE managed to pull off with a slightly different upper mid range and treble presentation has been executed so well and is super satisfying to me.

I love experiencing different types of tunings that have been pulled off well.

Nov 19, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #3,922 of 5,715
ATB <3

I was listening to the Elysian X last night, and objectively I’d say it is tuned “more normal” than the EXT. But man, what VE managed to pull off with a slightly different upper mid range and treble presentation has been executed so well and is super satisfying to me.

I love experiencing different types of tunings that have been pulled off well.
Will you keep both? It seems X and EXT are cut from a very similar cloth, so there must be lots of overlap?

Nov 19, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #3,923 of 5,715
Will you keep both? It seems X and EXT are cut from a very similar cloth, so there must be lots of overlap?

Eh the EXT and X are quite different. In isolation I don’t think I would sell the X because of the EXT directly even though overall I prefer the latter. The X still has its own strengths. It’s more resolving than EXT, bigger soundstage, more comfortable, and the timbre is just almost totally opposite. It’s a lighter, airier, and almost weightless type sound. Maybe when I get my Annihilator CIEM I’ll move it but for now I need to shift some DAPs 😂

Nov 19, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #3,924 of 5,715
It’s a lighter, airier, and almost weightless type sound.
Based purely on that I suspect I'd much prefer EXT over X. Light, airy and weightless are not on my checklist. Same reason I didn't gel with Stax on the desktop.

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #3,925 of 5,715
Dude, have you been living under a rock?! Where you been?

Good to see you around.
Because of mask and vaccine mandates, I quit my job and taught myself how to trade and invest in cryptos and stocks. That took a year of doing nothing but 80-100 hours of study a day every day. Now I can give some time to other things.

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #3,926 of 5,715
nice to see you around again.

some great new iems for you to listen to!

and congrats on quitting your job.

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #3,928 of 5,715
What third party cables is everyone using with the EXT? I managed to get the fit down just fine. Now I kind of want a different cable, the braiding/material on this stock one itches the back of my ears like crazy lol.
Can't wait to strap my @doctorjuggles Cardas onto one of these babies.

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #3,929 of 5,715
What third party cables is everyone using with the EXT? I managed to get the fit down just fine. Now I kind of want a different cable, the braiding/material on this stock one itches the back of my ears like crazy lol.
Most listening time on mine is with @doctorjuggles 8-wire type 6 litz silver anaconda. It’s an amazing pairing.

I owe @Tristy some thoughts on Plussound’ s 8-wire GPS (@Tristy I haven’t forgotten about you!).

2BB6697B-F509-4E20-BAB8-8FB8D5307799.jpeg

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #3,930 of 5,715
You probably can, but I don't think that's recommended. That's what's preventing ear wax from entering the tiny sound tubes. The mesh should be thin and fine enough that it won't affect sound anyway.
The retail box comes with additional screens and instructions for removal. Thought that was a nice touch. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back