Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 15, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #3,721 of 5,715
Signing up for the tour on your site Bill. Theres so much to chose from now, I fear I'll be picking up at least 2 TOTL Iems since I havent bought anything since A18t release. Considering trailli, ext, phonix, odin, indigo, fusang, eco, erlkonig, m5, some new 64 flagship. Thanks for great impressions, one question. Do both ext and phonix have more or less impactful mid/sub bass than A18t/U18t?
Cool, it has been a while since you joined a tour. I am sure you will be impressed as things have moved quite a bit since the 64 A18 Tours. :)

My 18 has been sporting the M20 for a couple years now for the additional bass boost. However, it is still fairly neutral with a slight bump in the mid-bass where the M15 keeps it fairly neutral sounding. The EXT has a dedicated DD for the extreme lows that offer tons of power in that region without being overwhelming remaining neutral but with natural rumble you can feel. What is unique is that it has a smaller quicker DD for the mids so you get the longer decay down low and the faster more resolute bass in the mids. What is truly unique about this design is that the sub-bass is completely turned off when not called for offering extreme clarity for a nice separation between the sub and mid-bass regions. It is very clean. Even better, the ESTs etch gobs of detail over the entire spectrum so it is both clean and articulate. Regardless, you will hear it in the tour so I am excited to hear your thoughts.

NOTE: As a reminder to those that live in the US and want to hear the EXT/Phonix for themselves, just follow the link in my signature to sign up.

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #3,722 of 5,715
Barra did you get to hear EE EVO yet? Would be curious to get your thoughts on EXT vs EVO.
We have a US EVO tour coming up soon as well, but Jack has not gotten the tour kit to us yet, still waiting on supply which is the same with all manufacturers.

So no, I have not heard them to compare yet. :frowning2:

Nov 15, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #3,723 of 5,715
I don’t even know where to start. These tick so many of my preferences in tuning that I feel like whatever I’ll write will just come off as shilly. Everything I am throwing at these sounds phenomenal. They manage to ride such a balanced line of sounding natural and realistic as well as being able to play synth/edm stuff incredibly well and keep excitement in the sound without doing any offensively.
So glad to hear that you like EXT. Really worth the wait.😉

Nov 15, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #3,724 of 5,715
You're selling your Legend Evo?!? This is news...
I just think i need to give basshead side a bit of rest. Been with LX and now EVO for well over year decided to taste some other brands.

EVOs are amazing though definitely up there with big boys. There are just so many releases... And i sure cant afford to put away 3k iem in a corner "for time being" lol. So i let it find new owner.

Not saying i wont regret it lol

Hopefully i still have them to compare to EXT when it arrives.

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #3,725 of 5,715
I’ve been listening to the PHoNIX.

Very early impressions here - I’m finding a more intimate soundstage. Listening to Miles Davis ‘So What’ I feel like I’m in a small jazz club and quite close to the musicians. Separation, layering & detail on this track is superb and I felt pulled into the performance. The sound and feel was captivating.

At the moment it’s had about 48 hours run time and so I’m not sure yet whether the sound will change with more burn in or playing time. Right now though the sound has what I would refer to as a bit of a warm feel to it. Bass is actually quite punchy and the treble seems quite extended and detailed. I’m really liking the mids as there is quite a lot going on there.

Haha…you know that’s about as technical and descriptive as I get. But suffice to say that the sounds I’m hearing from the PHoNIX feel top TOTL.

I obviously have more listening to do and so I will get a better handle on it as things progress. I’m also going to let it play continuously for a good few hours when I’m not doing any listening.

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #3,726 of 5,715
That is exactly what I am hearing, these are fantastic as are the Phonix. They are playing at the same exotic level with the EXT more transparent (solid-state) and the Phonix being more romantic (tubes). VE hit it out of the park again. :)
VE is so good at something that’s really important…tuning.

:sunglasses:

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #3,727 of 5,715
Hi,

Hope to get more in-depth impressions of EXT and comparisons with VE8 and other iems, as it looks like EXT has similar fit (as VE8) and comfort (for longer listening sessions).

Looking forward to ordering one soon to complement warm/relaxed sound presentation of VE8.

31208FB5-4B90-4382-A454-2AE0AF16BB81.jpeg

-monduvo.

Nov 16, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #3,730 of 5,715
I literally have not stopped listening all day. I haven’t even done a single A/B yet because I don’t want to listen to anything else right now 😂
Listen, I get that you're on honeymoon, but you have loyal fans waiting in line. A few crumbs maybe? Just kidding...you enjoy, and scribe when you're ready. By the sounds of it, I'm going to be even more FOMO'd afterwards.

Nov 16, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #3,731 of 5,715
Listen, I get that you're on honeymoon, but you have loyal fans waiting in line. A few crumbs maybe? Just kidding...you enjoy, and scribe when you're ready. By the sounds of it, I'm going to be even more FOMO'd afterwards.

Oh man, this is no honeymoon. I know relatively fast when I like something or not. 😉

Nov 16, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #3,733 of 5,715
Nov 16, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #3,734 of 5,715
Not good for my wallet 🤭
I've settled on a one TOTL IEM policy. So if it betters what I have, cost isn't that much of a factor. Getting to listen to two at the same time - that's the challenge. I'm not into collecting IEMs.

Nov 16, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #3,735 of 5,715
Does it beat the X? 😳

They trade blows and have slightly different sounds. EXT is warm with a pretty natural timbre whereas I hear X to be brighter with a more ethereal sound. I think X works better for synth stuff and the EXT is overall a better all-rounder. EXT has more mid bass and better bass quality overall, X is more sub bass focused with a dry-ish bass presentation which helps keep coherency throughout the signature. In lower mid range EXT sounds much more natural to me, it’s especially noticeable on male vocals where they have more body and sound more realistic where X’s timbre is a lighter and airier. The X has a more revealing upper mid range presence and energy whereas I hear EXT to be more laid back and organic sounding. In terms of treble both are exceptional and have top class extension. I feel if you’re an older listener and can’t quite hear up in those high upper treble frequencies, the EXT may come off on the darker side perhaps? The EXT upper treble really brings a nice energy to the highs.

X has a more open sounding soundstage, it’s quite laid back and out of head which is surprising given it’s tuning. I’d say X also has better “slam” in the transients where EXT sounds softer in comparison, it’s still a very punchy and dynamic sound but it doesn’t quite have that same initial force I hear the X to have with its notes (not to be confused with thickness).

I think in this market EXT offers the best all-rounder DD low IEM I have heard. It also reminds me a bit of the 12t with the way it’s tuned. Except I hear more mid bass here and the treble has a bit more sparkle in comparison to the 12t.

Everyone knows how much I love the A12t and the X, I can say with confidence I think the EXT is right up there also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back