Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 3, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #3,376 of 5,715
Putting on the Sedna Light Shorts on my EXT is THE worst experience I have ever had in my entire ******* life.

At least that was worth the 20 minute effort at the end of the day. Thanks for the recommendations! Great fit and SQ, more comfortable than the Spiral Dots++.
You’ve got a great life.

Nov 3, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #3,377 of 5,715
Did you get Erl for comparing to the Phonix ?
Not yet. I've contacted a few people here and in Singapore, and I've had no luck so far. I'll probably be asking VE if they happen to have any units of their own.

Hmmm I wonder if it’s going to signal an impending sale of my Erlk :wink:
There could be features (like the sound dial) you wanna keep, but I certainly don't recall the Erlkonig making my jaw drop like the PHoNIX has. :wink:

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #3,378 of 5,715
Putting on the Sedna Light Shorts on my EXT is THE worst experience I have ever had in my entire ******* life.

At least that was worth the 20 minute effort at the end of the day. Thanks for the recommendations! Great fit and SQ, more comfortable than the Spiral Dots++.
How about the tips that came with the EXT?

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #3,379 of 5,715
Not yet. I've contacted a few people here and in Singapore, and I've had no luck so far. I'll probably be asking VE if they happen to have any units of their own.

There could be features (like the sound dial) you wanna keep, but I certainly don't recall the Erlkonig making my jaw drop like the PHoNIX has. :wink:
erlky still impresses me on a regular basis and remains one of the top 2 iems I've heard.

it's also made of silver, arguably has the best unboxing experience of any iem, and has 4 built-in settings.

curious to hear what changes ve has made to Phonix, and looking forward to checking it out soon. at this moment though, I gotta say I'm more eager to give the ext a listen...

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #3,380 of 5,715
erlky still impresses me on a regular basis and remains one of the top 2 iems I've heard.

it's also made of silver, arguably has the best unboxing experience of any iem, and has 4 built-in settings.

curious to hear what changes ve has made to Phonix, and looking forward to checking it out soon. at this moment though, I gotta say I'm more eager to give the ext a listen...
Teasing the comparison a bit, I’ll say that there is a unique texture (the meatiness and tactility I described) to the EXT that I only noticed was missing on the PHoNIX when I did my A/B test. I was utterly entranced by the PHoNIX for about three days straight, and I was desperately clamoring to think of anything that could improve it (without ruining its balance). It was only when I went to it from the EXT, that I went, “Ahh, that’s kinda something.” It’s exactly why I said both IEMs, fortunately (or unfortunately), are equally compelling, and I give VE all the bravo’s in the world for making that happen.

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #3,381 of 5,715
Teasing the comparison a bit, I’ll say that there is a unique texture (the meatiness and tactility I described) to the EXT that I only noticed was missing on the PHoNIX when I did my A/B test. I was utterly entranced by the PHoNIX for about three days straight, and I was desperately clamoring to think of anything that could improve it (without ruining its balance). It was only when I went to it from the EXT, that I went, “Ahh, that’s kinda something.” It’s exactly why I said both IEMs, fortunately (or unfortunately), are equally compelling, and I give VE all the bravo’s in the world for making that happen.
Without getting too far into the weeds as far as a comparison, to me the Erlk and EXT are completely different animals. Now, I’ve not heard the Phonix, but if it’s heavily based on the Erlk setting #2, I could very easily see how they could co-exist.
Would you agree @Deezel177?

Nov 3, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #3,383 of 5,715
Without getting too far into the weeds as far as a comparison, to me the Erlk and EXT are completely different animals. Now, I’ve not heard the Phonix, but if it’s heavily based on the Erlk setting #2, I could very easily see how they could co-exist.
Would you agree @Deezel177?
I wouldn't say they're completely different animals. They're not like Phantom and LX, for example. Fourté and A18t is a more similar comparison. They aren't tonally heaven-and-earth, per se. Their differences lie mostly in texture and presentation, which is where I'd heavily agree with you in that they could definitely co-exist. In my upcoming impressions post, I mention that it's one of the rare cases where the co-flagships aren't necessarily covering two different demographics. I can easily picture tons of people gravitating equally to both. Now, affording both is another issue entirely. :D

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #3,384 of 5,715
I wouldn't say they're completely different animals. They're not like Phantom and LX, for example. Fourté and A18t is a more similar comparison. They aren't tonally heaven-and-earth, per se. Their differences lie mostly in texture and presentation, which is where I'd heavily agree with you in that they could definitely co-exist. In my upcoming impressions post, I mention that it's one of the rare cases where the co-flagships aren't necessarily covering two different demographics. I can easily picture tons of people gravitating equally to both. Now, affording both is another issue entirely. :D
For me it's a simple choice: no DD, no dice. Very keen to audition EXT someday soon, especially to hear for myself what the fuss over DD mids is all about (I mean I have several single DD IEMs, but that's not quite the same thing). Also curious how the bass stacks up against EVO.

Phõnix vs Traillii will be an interesting comparison, even though it's purely academic to me.

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #3,385 of 5,715
Fair enough.
I’ll look forward to your full review for sure. Of course, just to underscore, I’m comparing with the Erlk versus the Phonix, but to me, the Ext has much more of a sub-bass emphasis (regardless of which setting you use on the Erlk), much drier mids (frankly drier overall), much brighter and more forward treble, and a wider stage. To me, that’s a very different animal. But, just my two cents of course!

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #3,386 of 5,715
Fair enough.
I’ll look forward to your full review for sure. Of course, just to underscore, I’m comparing with the Erlk versus the Phonix, but to me, the Ext has much more of a sub-bass emphasis (regardless of which setting you use on the Erlk), much drier mids (frankly drier overall), much brighter and more forward treble, and a wider stage. To me, that’s a very different animal. But, just my two cents of course!
Interesting, the way people have been describing EXT mids, I imagined them to be romantic and earthy, not dry. 🤔

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #3,387 of 5,715
Interesting, the way people have been describing EXT mids, I imagined them to be romantic and earthy, not dry. 🤔
i should have been clearer, sorry. Drier than the Erlk mids, but still very textured with gobs of detail. Not sure I can comment on romantic and earthy.

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #3,388 of 5,715
i should have been clearer, sorry. Drier than the Erlk mids, but still very textured with gobs of detail. Not sure I can comment on romantic and earthy.
I typically rate midrange according to how I hear female vocals, hence the fluffy terminology. Slightly wet with a hint of warmth and plenty of detail (breath, for example) comes closest to my preference, and also generally sounds more realistic too. Any hint of grain or glass (if it's not in the recording) is a fail. But it all depends on what you're using as a reference. If you're mainly listening to instrumentals, your criteria may well be different to mine (for instruments I'm mainly after realism, timbre and detail). Synths are again a different story. But yeah, mids for me is basically all about the vocals.

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #3,389 of 5,715
For me it's a simple choice: no DD, no dice. Very keen to audition EXT someday soon, especially to hear for myself what the fuss over DD mids is all about (I mean I have several single DD IEMs, but that's not quite the same thing). Also curious how the bass stacks up against EVO.

Phõnix vs Traillii will be an interesting comparison, even though it's purely academic to me.
Yup, I mention the other bird as well in my impressions. I still haven't heard it, but I mentioned how my revelation with the PHoNIX is how I imagine a lot of people heard and experienced the Trailli earlier this year.

Fair enough.
Yeah, the main tonal difference between the PHoNIX and the EXT is that the latter is more punchy and contrast-y because of its relatively-lifted extremes; par for the course, given the PHoNIX is more even-keeled, if not a tad mid-centric, I'd say. I imagine the Erlkonig is a lot more different to the EXT than the PHoNIX is, given the measurements Alex recently shared, so you're definitely right there.

I typically rate midrange according to how I hear female vocals, hence the fluffy terminology. Slightly wet with a hint of warmth and plenty of detail (breath, for example) comes closest to my preference, and also generally sounds more realistic too. Any hint of grain or glass (if it's not in the recording) is a fail. But it all depends on what you're using as a reference. If you're mainly listening to instrumentals, your criteria may well be different to mine (for instruments I'm mainly after realism, timbre and detail). Synths are again a different story. But yeah, mids for me is basically all about the vocals.
The EXT nails the delivery of vocals (and instruments in general) to a T, I think; rendering the force rooted in the diaphragm, the depth of chest voice and the lightness of head voice. I think the DD does wonders in making sure they all come off tactile, weighted and visceral; never two-dimensional or frail at any point. I think, even if your tonal reference may dictate a bit more warmth here or a bit more brightness there, the physicality of that delivery will outshine them by a clear margin. Again, though, the sooner those units actually make their way out to people, the more impressions we'll get to see. :)

Nov 3, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #3,390 of 5,715

"No DD, no dice."

How is this not in your sig by now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back