Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors)
Nov 1, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #3,346 of 5,715
Agreed with all of the above. EVO is the first monitor where, not sure if it's due to Weapon X, space is actually expanded despite the thicker bass. That said, I don't find EVO's bass particularly thick in the midbass, especially once you pair with Acoustune tips and a revealing source. A more detailed cable helps here too, but like I mentioned in my my review, I find the bass slopes downwards with EVO, with more pronounced sub bass than midbass. Not sure how EXT is tuned, but I've read that it has a healthy midbass rise (more midbass than sub-bass anyway). Maybe someone here can confirm? Also after my initial run-in with EVO's upper mids, I'm finding it's an essential component of the tuning, and am yet to hear any shoutiness. No doubt EXT will be more relaxed here. Another aspect EXT will almost certainly have EVO 'beat' is fit. No getting away from the fact that EVO is a chonker. I have to fit it very carefully, then not move much while listening. Whereas EXT looks much smaller and more nimble.

Very keen to try EXT, and Elysian X, though there's little to no chance of hearing the X without buying one blind, which won't happen at this price point.
I am using EVOs on the go and commuting and fit is perfect for me. Actually i never loose seal even if chewing which is insane give its size.
Problem is the isolation. Yes it leaks sound in and out significantly but this is the issue with all DDs and i could live with it. But main problem is it has 2 sets of vents spaced away from each other so even a slightest wind makes so much noise inside the shell, like a mini wind tunnel lol, its really annoying.

So thats another thing to check on EXT as it seems to have quite open design.

Nov 1, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #3,347 of 5,715
Shameless plug: https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/vision-ears-ve8.13912/

Selling my babied VE8, as I'm going back for studies.
20210414_111742.jpg

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #3,349 of 5,715
Just tried out EXT with SE180+SEM2. Vocal with more body and even more punchy bass. However, treble is less crispy than SEM1. Also, soundstage & separation is a bit narrower. I prefer the crispy, airy sound with adequate bass produced by SEM1.

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #3,351 of 5,715
Just tried out EXT with SE180+SEM2. Vocal with more body and even more punchy bass. However, treble is less crispy than SEM1. Also, soundstage & separation is a bit narrower. I prefer the crispy, airy sound with adequate bass produced by SEM1.
SEM1?

...and stage is narrower than the Elysium?

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #3,353 of 5,715
Gotcha, thanks.

Daps are not really my thing, if you couldn’t tell.

:smile:

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #3,354 of 5,715
Thanks for these impressions. I’ve been considering picking up an SE180. Have you heard an SP2000? Curious how SEM2 compares. SP2000 pairs beautifully with Ely IMO :)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #3,356 of 5,715
IMG_20211102_123253.jpg

Vision Ears Big Brother and little brother :)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #3,357 of 5,715
Thanks for these impressions. I’ve been considering picking up an SE180. Have you heard an SP2000? Curious how SEM2 compares. SP2000 pairs beautifully with Ely IMO :)
Sem2's tonality/tuning is very similar to SP2k but a step down in technical performance. Whether that "difference" is worth the price would be complete personal preference.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #3,358 of 5,715
Really enjoying my VE V8 and Satin Zeus combo. I have to agree with Crin's rating. It is a super great all rounder. The Zeus just gives it more of everything.
Thanks to Andrew at Musicteck. Hope you put VE on sale for Black Friday so other members can enjoy their fine IEMs. The Zeus is Satin's best cable , but its not priced out of most of our member's comfort zone.

Nov 2, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #3,359 of 5,715
Really enjoying my VE V8 and Satin Zeus combo. I have to agree with Crin's rating. It is a super great all rounder. The Zeus just gives it more of everything.
Thanks to Andrew at Musicteck. Hope you put VE on sale for Black Friday so other members can enjoy their fine IEMs. The Zeus is Satin's best cable , but its not priced out of most of our member's comfort zone.
Yes VE8 is a damn fine IEM. From my limited experience, it left a very positive impression. I remember it has a great ambience with a touch of warmth without veiling any hint of detail.

VE8 and Traillii are what I'd consider the ultimate "comfort" IEMs.

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #3,360 of 5,715
Yes VE8 is a damn fine IEM. From my limited experience, it left a very positive impression. I remember it has a great ambience with a touch of warmth without veiling any hint of detail.

VE8 and Traillii are what I'd consider the ultimate "comfort" IEMs.

I call my VE 8 the “comfort food” of my collection. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back