ViSang R03 Review: A Budget-fi Paradigm Shift
Apr 26, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #46 of 67
The R03 is more tame (read: softer) down low and way smoother up top. There is absolutely no harshness or sibilance with the R03, a stark contrast to the S4. The Klipsch might have a bit more clarity in the treble but the R03 have better bass control. The R03 are warm but not as colored as the Klipsch tend to be. Soundstaging and imaging are similar (from memory). Klipschs would likely be more comfortable but the ViSangs are built better.

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #47 of 67
Any other IEM of excellent value under $50 for watching action/sci-fi/fantasy (like Iron Man and Transformers) movies?
I don't mean the bass is so overpowering that I can't even hear what the actors are saying or background music, and definitely not muddled/weird bass.

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #49 of 67
how do they compare to R03 and M6/M9 in this regard? And does anyone know of any discounts for those (Nuforce NE-6, Maximo iM-590) with low/free international shipping to Australia.

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #50 of 67
Can anyone comment on the sound of these compared to the Maximo iM-590?  I have started to grow more of an appreciation for the Maximos recently, but there are still times I would like something a little more "fun" to listen to.  In particular I am interested in how the mids and highs compare to the Maximos as I wouldn't like to go any lower in the sparkle area.

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #51 of 67
The bass of the R03 is notably accented over that of the Maximos, but you probably guessed that. The midrange of the R03 is slightly more forward and smoother towards the top. Clarity and detail are on par between the two but the R03 sounds warmer. However, if you're worried about losing sparkle the R03 may not be the right choice. It's noticeably laid-back near the top and doesn't have the stridency or the sparkle of the iM-590, just smooth and competent treble. To me the Maximos are a very good compromise between a fun and analytical sound and if that's what you're after they are pretty hard to beat. If you want something that retains the sparkle but makes gains on 'fun factor', you may want to look at the Panasonic HJE900, though they cost quite a bit more.

Quote:
Can anyone comment on the sound of these compared to the Maximo iM-590?  I have started to grow more of an appreciation for the Maximos recently, but there are still times I would like something a little more "fun" to listen to.  In particular I am interested in how the mids and highs compare to the Maximos as I wouldn't like to go any lower in the sparkle area.

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #52 of 67
Thanks for that comparison joker.  I keep trying to find a cheaper alternative to the HJE900, but I have been coveting those for quite some time now!  For now I think the iM-590s are doing a pretty good job, so I'll see what comes around next.

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #53 of 67

Quote:
Thanks for that comparison joker.  I keep trying to find a cheaper alternative to the HJE900, but I have been coveting those for quite some time now!  For now I think the iM-590s are doing a pretty good job, so I'll see what comes around next.

You may want to wait until July and check out the Maximo IM-790 when they come out.  You can turn the connection in the back of the earphones to dial in an extra 4-6 db of bass.  Fun and analytical sound all in one phone!

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #54 of 67

Quote:

Quote:
The bass of the R03 is notably accented over that of the Maximos, but you probably guessed that. The midrange of the R03 is slightly more forward and smoother towards the top. Clarity and detail are on par between the two but the R03 sounds warmer. However, if you're worried about losing sparkle the R03 may not be the right choice. It's noticeably laid-back near the top and doesn't have the stridency or the sparkle of the iM-590, just smooth and competent treble. To me the Maximos are a very good compromise between a fun and analytical sound and if that's what you're after they are pretty hard to beat. If you want something that retains the sparkle but makes gains on 'fun factor', you may want to look at the Panasonic HJE900, though they cost quite a bit more.

I haven't heard those others, but I would take the R03 over the i590 every time.  The mids are gorgeous, the bass is strong, and they sound smoother and more refined than the i590 in the highs.  The sound signature reminds me of my UE11pro, but without all the detail or bass control of the UE11pro (among other things). 

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #55 of 67
Quote:
I haven't heard those others, but I would take the R03 over the i590 every time.  The mids are gorgeous, the bass is strong, and they sound smoother and more refined than the i590 in the highs.  The sound signature reminds me of my UE11pro, but without all the detail or bass control of the UE11pro (among other things). 

That's a very strong endorsement for the R03, even by my standards 
tongue.gif

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #56 of 67
hi jorker

i bought a brainwavz m2 from a member here

it sounds amazing out of box,  l like it a lot

but one thing my m2 have a good amount of Sibilant, shrill sometimes in the background, sometimes at the end of words.  sometimes it bothers me

did you have something similar when they fresh out of box? or there is something wrong with mine?

would burn in help?

thanks

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #57 of 67

Quote:
hi jorker

i bought a brainwavz m2 from a member here

it sounds amazing out of box,  l like it a lot

but one thing my m2 have a good amount of Sibilant, shrill sometimes in the background, sometimes at the end of words.  sometimes it bothers me

did you have something similar when they fresh out of box? or there is something wrong with mine?

would burn in help?

thanks

I didn't experience any sibilance with my m2's....

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #58 of 67
I would try some different tips. I'm using my M2 right now and they do not sound sibilant at all. The only times I've heard sibilance was when the recording has it.

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #59 of 67
I would say give them some time and if there's still sibilance try getting a deeper fit. There's no sibilance with my pair and I don't remember it being an issue fresh out of the box, either. They actually dip a little beyond 3kHz which is a bit antithetic to sibilance.

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #60 of 67
i think its the music and the DAP im using, i listen to R&B and rap a lot

it sounds perfectly fine when listen to alicia keys, usher and mariah carey

a lot of old school rap have really bad recoreding quality with a lot of noise that i never heard before,  with the m2's high Sensitivity and sony s618 i gusse i can hear them all , it sounds really sharp with s618, i always dont like the s618. its so colored and bright. maybe is time for a new DAP

if i listen to exac same music with my laptop and minidisc player,there is almost no the sibilant compare to s618. but still somehow sound very sharp. btw they only have about 3-4 hours burn in.  

what DAP do you guys use with M2's?

p.s some of the songs i can hear small popping sound after drum or in the back ground. its probably just the recording, im being paranoid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back