ViSang R03 Review: A Budget-fi Paradigm Shift
Apr 15, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #32 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by v2p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering totally unamped, as a whole in terms of overall soundstage which do you think is more fuller sounding, thicker and warmer; the R03s or RE0s?

I don't consider the RE0 thick at all and the R03 is definitely warmer. Neither has a humongous soundstage but both perform similarly fair in terms of sheer size.

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #36 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hero Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gosh mp4nation confuses me. So the new Brainwavz M2 are these things?
They did the same thing to me with the Telecast T51 and the s:flo2

The M2 are identical to the ViSangs except for the 'hockey stick' 45-degree 3.5mm plug and the accessories included.

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #37 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M2 are identical to the ViSangs except for the 'hockey stick' 45-degree 3.5mm plug and the accessories included.

and a longer warranty if I might add.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #38 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So why do they use a different name then? Is it like a re-brand or repackage? Thanks for your review by the way.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #39 of 67
Re-brand and some smaller changes that would not affect SQ

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #40 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by koonhua90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why do they use a different name then? Is it like a re-brand or repackage? Thanks for your review by the way.

Because ViSang doesn't distribute internationally, while MP4Nation.net does. If I understand it correctly, all R03 on eBay are sold by third party sellers that take their local Chinese stock and reselling them on the international market, that is why most of them are generally on a higher price. What MP4Nation does is to go directly to ViSang and order it like from an OEM, and ViSang repackage it under MP4Nation's spec for the international market.

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #41 of 67
Thanks, ClieOS, that's what I was told as well. But mp4nation's regular price is advertised as being $62.50. To be honest I was expecting it to be less since ebay sellers are letting them go for ~$63 shipped and generally have much faster shipping.

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #42 of 67
Been using the Meelec M9 bi-flanges with the R03 for a few days now. Quite a good combo, IMO. They add some depth to the stage. The R03 can't insert that deep which makes the bi-flange a good match.

The M9 tip set is $4.99 for the 4 pairs and is a valuable one to have for the tip collection anyway.

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #43 of 67
How does ViSang R03 compare to Meelectronics M6/M9 in general, and in bass and soundstage/image/positioning?

I was thinking of buying either M6/M9 after my PL30 mostly broken, but now realising MP4nation's M2 is the same as R03 and costs under $50 makes me rethink about upgrading my gear. Head-fi has made me one of many who can no longer resist buying mid-fi or high-fi on a budget.

I wanted to buy RE0 previously due to its high praises and also it's regarded as a (borderline) top tier phone. Even at $89 including shipping is a tad(s) too much for my budget.

Music is not too much of my concern anymore, however, movie is. That's why I consider M9, as its strength lies in the bass and to certain extent the soundstage which are essential to watching movies.

I would like an iem that will blow me away (like a home theater in some sense) when I watch action/sci-fi films, value is also extremely important. My wish was that there would be a phone like RE0 with more powerful bass at a (far) lower price, and it seems I have my wish come true.

ClieOS, will you review ViSang R03/Brainwavz M2 very soon?

Given M9 is half the price of the discounted R03, I still might just get the M9 lest I will regret geting R03. R03 does not look as good build-wise compared to M6/9 - not sure if the cable will tangle up like PL30 (sticky plastic) which would be very frustrating to say the least, at least I know for a fact that M6/M9 have reinforced material for strain reliefs and braided non-sticky lines.

Sorry for the first post being so long.

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #44 of 67
In general, the R03 is a more even earphone across the range compared to the M9/M6 - it is smoother and has more forward mids. The bass is warm and definitely present but softer than it is on the M6 and especially the M9. Imaging is excellent, I would say a step above the M6 and quite a bit better than the M9. The soundstage is fairly average, same as the Meelec phones, but the R03 lacks a bit of depth. The R03 is definitely superior to the M9 and worth the extra money IMO, though I may be spoiled when it comes to pricy IEMs.

Personally I would not recommend the RE0 for movies even if they cost $60, but then I don't think any IEM will give you that home theater feeling you crave.

Lastly, the build quality is more than adequate on the R03, metal shells and all. And no, that cable doesn't tangle. It's actually pretty resilient and not as flexible as Meelec cables (and especially Soundmagic cables).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back