Virus Found Fake Alert
Dec 3, 2008 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Kernmac

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Since tonight, every time I visit Head Fi my virus protection is picking up malware/trojan called "Virus Found FakeAlert". This consists of a threat pop up which inturn suggests to install anti virus 2009.

This is probably not the place to post, so a mod can delete this post once the virus threat is checked out. Any one else experiencing this pop up when surfing to Head Fi recently?

Cheers
Kernmac

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 18
Your anti-virus prog. DID NOT pick it up - you took advertising scamware onto your machine (most often occurs by opening a phony email). Do a spyware scan of your machine which will quarantine the files........then you delete them. Sometimes you will find a repeat - the second cleansing will usually take care of it.

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 18
You have spyware/malware programs, showing fake ads so you would install even more harmful spying software.

Download Spybot Search & Destroy, and Lavasoft Ad-Aware, update their definitions and run them. Its good to run them on safe mode aswell. And remember to enable Spybots immunization feature and keep it updated.

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 18
I think I read about this in GameFAQs or Notebookreview forums, it's just a popup advertisement. I don't think malware invaded your system. Just to be safe, run what MaZa tells you, and also MalwareBytes.

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 18
No such issues over here.
But then again I don't run any Anti-virus software...

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 18
Hi all, thanks for your replies. I'm very careful regarding clicking on banners etc, but obviously one of my children (normally very good) clicked on something they shouldn't have. I have up to date Spybot Search & Destroy, and Lavasoft Ad-Aware and AVG and although they are picking up the infection through both scans and at time of attack, when I go to certain sites (Headfi being one) the malware relaunches itself. I will try Malwarebytes as suggested. I asssume I can download it. I will search the net fro a copy and run it. Thanks all.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What web browser do you use? If you still use IE, I recommend switching over to Firefox 3.

Cheers MaZa. I do still use IE, so once I get this malware cleared up, I will have a closer look at Firefox.

krmathis-How do you survive without any anti virus software? No need for an answer to this, as it is a retorical question, because the answer is you can't.

I will leave it here, as it is not my intention to have a virus software discussion on Head FI's Headphone threads. Thanks for your help, we now return to your normal program (Headphones).

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 18
I went through this two weeks ago. VERY ANNOYING! Gets on your computer and nags you to go to their site and pay them to get back off. How do these folks remain in business? I paid $30 for SPYHUNTER and that cleaned it right off. Their web site explained it in great detail and explained how to clean it off manually which seemed as if they were trying to be "good guys" so I went ahead and sent them the $$$ to clean it for me. So far so good.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers MaZa. I do still use IE, so once I get this malware cleared up, I will have a closer look at Firefox.

krmathis-How do you survive without any anti virus software? No need for an answer to this, as it is a retorical question, because the answer is you can't.

I believe he uses Macs
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ3810 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gets on your computer and nags you to go to their site and pay them to get back off. How do these folks remain in business?

Credit fraud. People who don't know what they're doing enter their credit card info to "buy" the fake antivirus program and then their credit card is suddenly maxed out within a couple of days.

"Antivirus 2009" is a nasty one, I hear the new version appears easy to clean up but leaves behind a rootkit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back