Virtual Dynamics Genesis 1.1 Power Cable - first impressions
Mar 23, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #46 of 117
It so pleases me that Patrick enjoying cables, in whatever form his socioeconomic status will allow, annoys so many on my ignore list.

Patrick, you are the wind beneath my wings. I admire you for your purity.

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #47 of 117
My Premier Power Plant used to have only 3 Magix under it instead of 4. Today I put the 4th Magix under it and got more dynamics. The Genesis are revealing cables...

Then I put a Magix under the Genesis power cable for my DAC (it used to press against the floor). I was surprised that isolating the power cable from vibrations gave so much more dynamics!

Impressions of Magix under Genesis: More detail, space, blackness, low-level detail and clarity.

Next it was time to try ERS Paper for the Genesis for my DAC, I was surprised again.

Impressions of ERS Paper around Genesis: There are more transients all over the place, but it sounds too grey and lifeless. It doesn't sound black and white anymore because that whiteness/edginess has transformed into more information in the music. The new transients are very quiet and it's hard to hear them if the listening environment isn't quiet too.

Mar 23, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #48 of 117
Patrick82 always fun
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #50 of 117
That was really original.... a month ago.

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #53 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted this video in a Swedish forum but they didn't seem to like it for some reason, so I will post it here instead:

Kind of an audiophile version of "The Blair Witch Project".
tongue.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

"The Genesis (Witch)Kraft Kabler Project".

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #54 of 117
I removed the ERS Paper around the Genesis for my DAC. I thought it was going to sound better, but it just sounded edgy and empty which emphasized the transients. A nude Genesis sounded good at first but after I got used to ERS Paper wrapped around it, it doesn't sound good to be nude again. The music is supposed to sound fuller and drier with more resolution.

Then I re-arranged my system so that I could change my 2m Valhalla headphone cable into 1m. I also made a few little tweaks which would increase the resolution even more. I was expecting the shorter headphone cable to sound better even when it didn't have any ERS Paper anymore. Then I listened to my system and it sounded broken, it had not sounded that bad for many months. It sounded very thin with the low-level details veiled. I searched around trying to find the problem, I checked all the settings but after an hour I gave up.

Then I started wrapping my headphone cable with ERS Paper, after the first few sheets I didn't hear a difference. But after I had finished the wrapping the problem was fixed. ERS Paper is a crazy tweak.
eek.gif

Then I wrapped my DAC's Genesis again. The improvement was equally huge.

Impressions:
There is more low-level detail and the [size=medium]bass is[/size] [size=large]HUGE[/size]. Having K1000 from XLR outputs (6vrms) of my DAC now has way more bass size than when I used a Krell KAV-500i power amp (the Krell is the amp that gave me the most bass because of the huge Toroid. Toroids benefit the most from MWave4 manipulation (P300 Power Plant) which boosts up the bass by toning down the midrange). But with the Genesis + ERS Paper, the bass size doesn't come from coloration, it comes from higher resolution.

I have the pre-amp and amp bypassed and I get more bass and low-level detail than from dedicated gear just because of the Genesis power cable wrapped in ERS Paper. Since pre-amps and amps aren't needed anymore, the Genesis power cable is a great value because it replaces those components.

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #55 of 117
Before the Genesis was burned in it sounded smooth and analog like tubes. But after 4 days it opened up and it didn't sound warm anymore, there was higher resolution and it revealed the EMI infecting the cable. But wrapping it with ERS Paper made it sound warm again while increasing the resolution further. I have never heard warm sound like this before...I usually hate warmth in the music and do everything I can to make it sound colder (tubes sound like a nightmare to me). But this time with the Genesis + ERS Paper, I'm not bothered by the warmth because there isn't any dullness in the music, there is just pure resolution, and that is how resolution should sound like, it should sound warm!

Mar 27, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #57 of 117
Patrick, if you were serious about this stuff you might want to try some materials that engineers actually use, rather than that ERS Paper swindle that Stillpoints is running.

Check this page out for some examples.

Mar 27, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #58 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick, if you were serious about this stuff you might want to try some materials that engineers actually use, rather than that ERS Paper swindle that Stillpoints is running.

Check this page out for some examples.

Interesting, SP claim that their papers reduce EMI by some 50db, while a company like 3M - a company that is renown for their R&D - only can produce a reduction of 3db. Somehow I think 3M is closer to the truth...

Sorry for the OT.

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #59 of 117
EMI .. 50db .. but what frequency range ? This paper only filter a very narrow range of EMI... you don't cut them all.

A true faraday shielded (with cable to the ground will probably cut them all ?)

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #60 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EMI .. 50db .. but what frequency range ? This paper only filter a very narrow range of EMI... you don't cut them all.

A true faraday shielded (with cable to the ground will probably cut them all ?)

ers specs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back