Virtual Dynamics Genesis 1.1 Power Cable - first impressions
Mar 20, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #31 of 117
^
^
That is your prerrogative...BTW not all skeptics ask for DBTs, as they have their own experiences as well (not very favorable BTW) and others ask simply for the missing link on the chain of evolution, the so called "sacred evidence" that nobody seems to have ever seen.

To me one thing is clear now, things are taking a different course, and I think that after all this hassle of the DBT requests, and the new section in the cables forum, etc...some believers must be desperate, if they really think that sending those cables to Patrick will do any good to their cause...or did you believe also that he spent 50K in cables? I could anticipate the results, the cables will be even better than the Nordost he had, and he will find the Nirvana with them
rolleyes.gif

And the improvements will be rated: 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #32 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These cables are crazy. It sounds like listening to a completely new audio system, I didn't know that improvements this big were possible in audio. Normally when upgrading audio components you just make little side steps into different flavors but there aren't any real improvements.

I haven't found any components in the signal path that improve the sound, they only make it sound worse. But when having Genesis power cable in the signal path, it gives a real improvement to the sound! I still don't hear any weaknesses with this cable.

2nd impressions: I'm hearing true smooth transparency. Normally with other gear and tweaks you can either get smoothness/muddiness or edginess/transparency. They are just different flavors but they have the same performance overall. But with the Genesis power cable I hear the best of both worlds, it sounds both smoother and more transparent than ever before! I'm hearing new ambient sounds which makes the soundstage huge! Those new ambient sounds are clear as well. Some of the sounds have decay that is audible for many seconds longer than before. I have never heard improvements this big before!

The improvement was so huge that it sounds like listening to music for the first time. All my albums sound completely different now, it's very confusing. There are so much new low-level detail in the recordings it's crazy. It's like I need to learn my reference albums all over again. I don't have any reference albums anymore because all albums sound new to me.

3rd impressions: All the complex passages that used to be veiled aren't veiled anymore. There are new transient melodies within those complex passages and it makes the music sound even faster. There are a lot of new stuff going on in the music which makes it sound more realistic.

The bass is the biggest I have ever heard, and it's also the tightest! It sounds like the bass is on steroids! With other tweaks you can make the bass bigger and tighter if you add boominess with one tweak and edginess with another, but it removes information from the music which makes the bass too round and solid, it sounds like the bass transients are little balls, it's boring and lifeless. But with the Genesis power cord, hair has started growing from those balls, the bass is alive! The bass has a lot more information in it which makes it appear bigger and faster. Each of the bass transients are unique. It's very addicting to listen to it.

Everything is distinct but still more emphasized than ever before. Even with tweaks that remove bass to make the highs more emphasized, the Genesis still has clearer highs than any other tweak. All the sounds are separated from each other but they are still joined together because there is more information around those sounds. Since each sound is of a different volume it makes it sound even more distinct.

Warm-up impressions: Comparing to yesterday, the 2nd day of warm-up gave more blackness, clarity, speed and dynamics.

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #33 of 117
I still use a modified Nordost Valhalla power cord for my computer and it took a long time to fine tune it to make it sound like real life. I have a Genesis plugged into my CD transport (dCS) so it's easy to switch back and forth.

The CD transport used to sound too smooth and using Valhalla with it made it sound horribly veiled, so I had to use stock cable with it which made it sound too thin. Others with the same DAC and CD transport as me also said that stock cable sounds better than aftermarket cables because there is more low-level detail.
I liked my computer better than the CD transport even when it was 100 times cheaper. The Valhalla veiled the brightness of the computer which made it sound clean and smooth, but the side effect was that it veiled all the low-level details which made it sound bigger, and the jitter of the computer made it sound sharper. The computer was both heavier and sharper than the CD transport. But now with Genesis plugged into my CD transport, it sounds both heavier and sharper than the computer, and there is more low-level detail than with the stock cable!

I had planned to sell my CD transport because it was too smooth and thin, but the problem was fixed after I plugged a Genesis power cable into it. It got heavier and sharper with more low-level detail. The best of both worlds!

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #34 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i take his posts 100 times more seriously than those of the non cable believers who have nothing more to say than, "did you DBT that?"

I'm a cable believer (and have many ridiculously expensive cables to prove it) and I still find cable reviews with blind tests to be approximately 100,000,000 times more accurate than reviews that go something like "I worked so hard to install these cables, they better be a big upgrade, then after a lot of hard work I finally got to listen to them, and they are incredible!!! The best cables ever!!! So much worth the ridiculous amount of money I paid for them!!!" That is about as worthless a review as there is for any audio equipment, in my experience.

Cable can improve the sound of an audio system, but only a non-subjective test can prove it. Everything else is just hopeful speculation on the part of someone with a lot less money in their bank account and a subconscious trying desperately to convince them (and their audiophile friends) that their purchase was worthwhile.

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #35 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a cable believer (and have many ridiculously expensive cables to prove it) and I still find cable reviews with blind tests to be approximately 100,000,000 times more accurate than reviews that go something like "I worked so hard to install these cables, they better be a big upgrade, then after a lot of hard work I finally got to listen to them, and they are incredible!!! The best cables ever!!! So much worth the ridiculous amount of money I paid for them!!!" That is about as worthless a review as there is for any audio equipment, in my experience.

Cable can improve the sound of an audio system, but only a non-subjective test can prove it. Everything else is just hopeful speculation on the part of someone with a lot less money in their bank account and a subconscious trying desperately to convince them (and their audiophile friends) that their purchase was worthwhile.

Except with the believer part which I'm not so blindly, I could not agree more...
tongue.gif

Most of the reviews we see nowdays are comparing cables they have, and gear in general, (and that applies to all reviews I have seen, with just a few exceptions) with cables or gear they had long time ago...

In the particular case of cables, (but could be applied to other gear as well, depending on the case) span memory for audio is really small, there is no way you can accuratelly remember how a system sounded six months ago, with differences so small in magnitude accuratelly.
Another case that corss my mind is those "mods", we see the reviews, my gear sounds now ten times better after the mod!!! Yeah right, unless you have an stock besides the modded one, how do you know? Are you trying to convince me that you really remember how the gear sounded before being modded six months ago???

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #38 of 117
There is a cat that can be contacted through this forum...last I saw, it LOVES VD cables and is absolutely curious about the raw materials used in the construction :p

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #39 of 117
Patrick, why are you selling your Nordost Vishnu? Virtual Dynamics offers a very generous trade-in program for all cables. Why not take advantage of that to offset the considerable cost of these cables? Assuming you purchased these, of course.

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #40 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick, why are you selling your Nordost Vishnu? Virtual Dynamics offers a very generous trade-in program for all cables. Why not take advantage of that to offset the considerable cost of these cables? Assuming you purchased these, of course.

They take ERS paper as well...
tongue.gif

Sorry I couldn't resist...

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #43 of 117
I like the Genesis power cable, it's pretty good, I'm not hearing any sound signature from it. It increased the resolution, extended the frequencies, made everything bigger and tightened the transients. The Genesis power cable is the only audio component that I like, all the other gear I have tried have never been good value for the money. I think this cable is as good for the price as Magix levitation feet and ERS Paper.

4th impressions: Bass transients used to sound like they came from the same spot in the soundstage, but they are always moving around a few cm in all directions, this makes the music sound faster and more musical.

It doesn't sound like listening to a recording anymore, it doesn't even sound like listening to headphones anymore. Other tweaks have given a similar effect but they colored the sound and they all removed low-level detail in the process. But with the Genesis power cord, the low-level detail is what has improved the most.

I'm surprised how open this cable sounds like, I was expecting it to be very closed in and fatiguing, but the higher resolution reveals all the subtlest ambient decay sounds which makes it sound more open. The Genesis gives true openness to the sound! I no longer need to color the sound with other tweaks to get enough openness and realism to the sound, the Genesis does this better than anything else because it doesn't add any weaknesses.

Warm-up impressions: After 2 days of warm-up it didn't sound smooth and open enough, there was too much blackness and whiteness in the sound which emphasized the sounds on the surface. But after 4 days of warm-up the problem is gone. It sounds very smooth which makes the soundstage deeper. These are the same differences as warm-up of the system makes (but some of them could be from the cables burning in as well). These cables are very revealing and show the improvements of system warm-up.

I have noticed that with many components in the system the warm-up period isn't consistent because different components need a different warm-up period. So sometimes it could sound very edgy and sometimes very smooth, but the low-level detail is constantly improving.

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #44 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't like the Genesis for my DAC, perhaps because it was too warm and I needed to get used to it.

I compared Genesis vs the stock+ERS Paper cable for my DAC. The first time I tried the Genesis it was warmer than the stock cable, but now the stock cable is warmer than the Genesis! Burn-in made a huge improvement in clarity!

Stock: I hear problems with the transients, it sounds too grey, thin and warm. Weight and clarity is missing.

Genesis: Transients are both heavier and clearer. The greyness and lifelessness is gone. Everything moves around more which increases the realism. Everything is more distinct... It sounds like the distinctness of a colored Valhalla analog cable, except it doesn't remove the low-level detail to get the illusion of that distinctness. The Genesis gives more low-level detail and true distinctness!

After 4 days of burn-in. I guess this cable is better than I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back