Violectric V222 and V202
Jan 20, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #1,276 of 1,911
Violectric production process was switched from through-hole technology (V200/V280) to surface-mounted devices technology (V202/V222).
Have a look at the internal pictures of V222 online and a few pages back in this thread, it all looks like through hole mounted components to me so not sure who said it's SMD but the pictures say otherwise.

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #1,277 of 1,911
@borkenarrou thanks for mentioning that review. Basically he mentioned lower noise floor on V222 and better matching with some headphones.

@lowrider007 how would you rate V202 + K712 synergy? Is K712 still shouty with V202?
On the other hand how HD6XX sounds with V202? Is it too laid back (boring) with V202?

Thanks!

I can't imagine the k712 being 'shouty' on any amp so I might be the wrong person to ask! I will say though that it pairs really well with the v202, really well, I find they really sing with a few volts, same with the 6XX, I love the 6XX, although sometimes I do hear what people refer to as the 'sennheiser veil', it's just a little niggle that crops up now and again, not sure if it's track dependant or just my mood that particular day!, but on a good day they they are magic, they are timbre kings no doubt.

Regarding the possibility of the being too laid back or boring the v202 isn't the type of amp that makes headphones sound boring, quite the opposite in fact, it actually took me a while to get used to it, the v202 transformed how the 6XX sounded for me, but that may or may not be a good thing depending on what you're looking for, after many hours of listening I think I might prefer the 6XX on a leaner sounding (more neutral) amp myself, I'm going to grab a pair of HD600's soon to see if I prefer that pairing, that being said I'm warming to the sound more every day, I think someone else mentioned that the v202/v222 makes the HD6XX a more of an everyday headphone and I agree there, on my Deckard the HD6XX was headphone that I used more for just Jazz, folk, classical etc, but now I'm really enjoying dance/trance and other genres on it, it makes the HD6XX more of an all rounder imho.

Contrary to what a lot of people say regarding the v202/v222 in terms of being a warm sounding amp I would disagree in some respects, it's actually quite a mid forward amp that has extra bass slam with rolled off highs, I think this can give the impression of warm sounding, I'd say it's a 'fun' sounding amp but not in a negative v-shaped way, it's fun but still very resolving, good midrange that isn't recessed in anyway, extra bass slam, good air and separation between instruments, good soundstage with depth, black background, the only thing I'm missing a just a touch of air in the treble region, comparing the v202 to the Topping s70 Pro, I liked the s70 quite a lot, more neutral sounding than the v202, with more top end and less bass slam, a more balanced sound, paired with the 6XX I think it edged the v202 on timbre/tonality for that particular headphone, but what let it down for me was the soundstage, it was very flat, just left to right, not much depth at all, some might argue that the s70 pro would be a more boring listen, compared to the v202 I would agree, but that doesn't make the s70 pro a bad amp, it just depends on what sound you're looking for.

I would like to mention that I'm not really big bass fan so buying the v202 without auditioning was a bit of a surprise to me upon my first listen, it probably wouldn't of been my first choice if I had done more research beforehand, but that being said I do still really like the amp and it's growing on me daily, it has given me a new appreciation for the importance of bass and what it can add to music, that palpable meatiness that helps add extra epicness and atmosphere to tracks, although I'm not sure the 6XX is a match made in heaven with the v202, I can tell you that the HD800S is without a doubt the best pairing I've ever heard with v202, absolute perfection, it was worth the cost for that pairing alone.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #1,278 of 1,911
I can't imagine the k712 being 'shouty' on any amp so I might be the wrong person to ask! I will say though that it pairs really well with the v202, really well, I find they really sing with a few volts, same with the 6XX, I love the 6XX, although sometimes I do hear what people refer to as the 'sennheiser veil', it's just a little niggle that crops up now and again, not sure if it's track dependant or just my mood that particular day!, but on a good they they are magic, they are timbre kings no doubt.

Regarding the possibility of the being too laid back or boring the v202 isn't the type of amp that makes headphones sound boring, quite the opposite in fact, it actually took me a while to get used to it, the v202 transformed how the 6XX sounded for me, but that may or may not be a good thing depending on what you're looking for, after many hours of listening I think I might prefer the 6XX on a leaner sounding (more neutral) amp myself, I'm going to grab a pair of HD600's soon to see I prefer that pairing, that being said I'm warming to the sound more every day, I think someone else mentioned that the v202/v222 makes the HD6XX a more of an everyday headphone and I agree there, on my Deckard the HD6XX was headphone that I used more for just Jazz, folk, classical etc, but now I'm really enjoying dance/trance and other genres on it, it makes the HD6XX more of an all rounder imho.

Contrary to what a lot of people say regarding the v202/v222 in terms of being a warm sounding amp I would disagree in some respects, it's actually quite a mid forward amp that has extra bass slam with rolled off highs, I think this can give the impression of warm sounding, I'd say it's a 'fun' sounding amp but not in a negative v-shaped way, it's fun but still very resolving, good midrange that isn't recessed in anyway, extra bass slam, good air and separation between instruments, good soundstage with depth, black background, the only thing I'm missing a just a touch of air in the treble region, comparing the v202 to the Topping s70 Pro, I liked the s70 quite a lot, more neutral sounding than the v202, with more top end and less bass slam, a more balanced sound, paired with the 6XX I think it edged the v202 on timbre/tonality for that particular headphone, but what let it down for me was the soundstage, it was very flat, just left to right, not much depth at all, some might argue that the s70 pro would be more a boring listen, compared to the v202 I would agree, but that doesn't make the s70 pro a bad amp, it just depends on what sound you're looking for.

I would like to mention that I'm not really big bass fan so buying the v202 without auditioning was a bit of a surprise to me upon my first listen, probably wouldn't of been my first choice if I had done more research beforehand, but that being said I do still really like the amp and it's growing on me daily, it has given me a new appreciation for the importance of bass and what it can add to music, that palpable meatiness that helps add extra epicness and atmosphere to tracks, although I'm not sure the 6XX is a match made in heaven with the v202, I can tell you that the HD800S is without a doubt the best pairing I've ever heard with v202, absolute perfection, it was worth the cost for that pairing alone.

Cable swaps can help in the air department. Upgrade power and RCA/XLRs

Jan 21, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #1,279 of 1,911
I can't imagine the k712 being 'shouty' on any amp so I might be the wrong person to ask! I will say though that it pairs really well with the v202, really well, I find they really sing with a few volts, same with the 6XX, I love the 6XX, although sometimes I do hear what people refer to as the 'sennheiser veil', it's just a little niggle that crops up now and again, not sure if it's track dependant or just my mood that particular day!, but on a good they they are magic, they are timbre kings no doubt.

Regarding the possibility of the being too laid back or boring the v202 isn't the type of amp that makes headphones sound boring, quite the opposite in fact, it actually took me a while to get used to it, the v202 transformed how the 6XX sounded for me, but that may or may not be a good thing depending on what you're looking for, after many hours of listening I think I might prefer the 6XX on a leaner sounding (more neutral) amp myself, I'm going to grab a pair of HD600's soon to see I prefer that pairing, that being said I'm warming to the sound more every day, I think someone else mentioned that the v202/v222 makes the HD6XX a more of an everyday headphone and I agree there, on my Deckard the HD6XX was headphone that I used more for just Jazz, folk, classical etc, but now I'm really enjoying dance/trance and other genres on it, it makes the HD6XX more of an all rounder imho.

Contrary to what a lot of people say regarding the v202/v222 in terms of being a warm sounding amp I would disagree in some respects, it's actually quite a mid forward amp that has extra bass slam with rolled off highs, I think this can give the impression of warm sounding, I'd say it's a 'fun' sounding amp but not in a negative v-shaped way, it's fun but still very resolving, good midrange that isn't recessed in anyway, extra bass slam, good air and separation between instruments, good soundstage with depth, black background, the only thing I'm missing a just a touch of air in the treble region, comparing the v202 to the Topping s70 Pro, I liked the s70 quite a lot, more neutral sounding than the v202, with more top end and less bass slam, a more balanced sound, paired with the 6XX I think it edged the v202 on timbre/tonality for that particular headphone, but what let it down for me was the soundstage, it was very flat, just left to right, not much depth at all, some might argue that the s70 pro would be more a boring listen, compared to the v202 I would agree, but that doesn't make the s70 pro a bad amp, it just depends on what sound you're looking for.

I would like to mention that I'm not really big bass fan so buying the v202 without auditioning was a bit of a surprise to me upon my first listen, probably wouldn't of been my first choice if I had done more research beforehand, but that being said I do still really like the amp and it's growing on me daily, it has given me a new appreciation for the importance of bass and what it can add to music, that palpable meatiness that helps add extra epicness and atmosphere to tracks, although I'm not sure the 6XX is a match made in heaven with the v202, I can tell you that the HD800S is without a doubt the best pairing I've ever heard with v202, absolute perfection, it was worth the cost for that pairing alone.
Thanks a lot for such a thorough line of thoughts!

This what you said:
Contrary to what a lot of people say regarding the v202/v222 in terms of being a warm sounding amp I would disagree in some respects, it's actually quite a mid forward amp that has extra bass slam with rolled off highs
is the possible bias I am trying to refer to when we talk about this new Violectric line. As far as I managed to find online, it is the old Violectric line known for warm, more 'analog' like sounding while this new line seems like leaning towards more resolving technical sound, mid-forward. It is also in-line with this article:

https://www.headphoneer.com/violectric-guide-and-history/

@LongSong please look at the link above, you will find there some info on SMD applied on new Violectric line. Part of the text where ''V281 REISSUE'' is explained is interesting for comparisons new Vs. old.

Jan 21, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #1,280 of 1,911
One particular aspect of the sound signature I am very curious about is so called 'black background'. This black background is emphasized in many reviews of the old Violectric line (V200).
@lowrider007 you mentioned that in your description of V202 in your post above.

In the following thread we tried to define what black background signature actually means (I also performed some blind tests there):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/recommendation-for-a-dac-or-amp-with-black-background.967643/

In short:
The first time I experienced that black background was on Astell & Kern SR35 DAP. That somehow separates it from the rest. With that, everything was raised on the next level, everything sounds better on the black background. I would say it is the blackness between the instruments - like the notes appear from nowhere and then disappears back in the same 'abyss', or simply as you said: ''to render notes out of nothingness''. I still do not know what that actually is. I suppose it is not just low background noise, but together with it maybe fast transients, high clarity/definition, great micro-dynamics,...
Yes, cleanliness and high level of detail is completing a definition of a black background. You can really follow all individual instruments and low level details in the background like you have several drivers in your headphones. But it is never aggressive, bright, harsh...a contrary - it is doing all that very politely, with rounded edges. That is the point, black background should not be mixed up with bright sounding devices which are trying to raise the level of details by reducing bass and emphasizing high tones, ending up in fatiguing sound.
At this point I am prone to think this black background impression is born mostly out of fast transients in the amplifier. I noticed people usually link black background to the background noise (hissing sound), but here we are not talking about it, so no bat's ears are needed for that to be noticed :k701smile:

Are those new Violectric amps still in that 'black background' club?

@lowrider007 when you mentioned 'black background' as one characteristic of V202 did you have something similar on your mind as defined above?

Jan 22, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #1,281 of 1,911
One particular aspect of the sound signature I am very curious about is so called 'black background'. This black background is emphasized in many reviews of the old Violectric line (V200).
@lowrider007 you mentioned that in your description of V202 in your post above.

In the following thread we tried to define what black background signature actually means (I also performed some blind tests there):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/recommendation-for-a-dac-or-amp-with-black-background.967643/

In short:

Are those new Violectric amps still in that 'black background' club?

@lowrider007 when you mentioned 'black background' as one characteristic of V202 did you have something similar on your mind as defined above?

Interesting discussion. Throughout my testing I've noted that the V222 is cleaner than the V280. The same applies when I was pitting my old V340 against the V280. Listening to the first 60 seconds of this classical track with a lone violin playing followed up by the rush of the full orchestra exhibits the same "black background," the silence that allows for transients to shine, or the "space between the notes" as Dan Clark says, but the V222 pulls ahead with the slightly blacker background, lower noise floor, with a greater sense of clarity.

PXL_20240122_173124665-EDIT.jpg

I've been gathering amps for a "warmest amps" roundup (more not pictured) but it's been fun A/B'ing the slight differences between each. If there's a certain track you'd like me to try for blackest blacks let me know.

Jan 22, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #1,283 of 1,911
Interesting discussion. Throughout my testing I've noted that the V222 is cleaner than the V280. The same applies when I was pitting my old V340 against the V280. Listening to the first 60 seconds of this classical track with a lone violin playing followed up by the rush of the full orchestra exhibits the same "black background," the silence that allows for transients to shine, or the "space between the notes" as Dan Clark says, but the V222 pulls ahead with the slightly blacker background, lower noise floor, with a greater sense of clarity.

I've been gathering amps for a "warmest amps" roundup (more not pictured) but it's been fun A/B'ing the slight differences between each. If there's a certain track you'd like me to try for blackest blacks let me know.
Curious about your comparison!
I always wanted to try the HPA-1.

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #1,284 of 1,911

Glad to see you back on Youtube!

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #1,285 of 1,911

I guess you've answered this question in your post by including the v222 in a future "warmest amps" roundup, but just off the cuff would you consider the v222 a warm amp, would that description alone fit the v222, as I mentioned a few posts up I find that the trouble roll-off and extra bass slam can give it an inflated impression of warmth?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #1,286 of 1,911
I guess you've answered this question in your post by including the v222 in a future "warmest amps" roundup, but just off the cuff would you consider the v222 a warm amp, would that description alone fit the v222, as I mentioned a few posts up I find that the trouble roll-off and extra bass slam can give it an inflated impression of warmth?

It's interesting because if you look at @Ichos first post in this thread it goes over the background of the V222 series and its similarities to the V280/281, but there are definitely some differences. I'd say it's the least warm of the amps I'm testing (that's not a bad thing), but warmer than the V340.

Agree on the extra bass slam comment, it's a very fun listen.

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #1,287 of 1,911

Thank a lot for this feedback!

For this black background test I would usually reach out to 'I can't change' and 'Oh Dear' tracks by Sophie Zelmani. Especially 'Oh Dear' track is interesting in the second part with solo acoustic guitar where you can follow all tiny nuances on black background. I would be really curious about your findings!

Your comment about V222 being the least warm of the amps you are testing (V280 as a predecessor of V222 is among those) is in-line with other comparisons 'old' Vs 'new' Vio amps. I personally would 'forgive' that lack of warmth to the new Vio line, but only if those are able to 'render notes out of nothingness' :k701smile:

A&K SR35 DAP is also sometimes called warm, but I would not say so. It also has very nice bass slam and perfect black background, so maybe leaving you with impression that it is warm. I would rather say it is very technical, detail, precise, with nice bass slam and very polite upper frequencies. Never fatiguing. Never sibilant.

I was also wondering how much DAC is contributing to that black background sound signature? In this same thread, @Empyah gave some interesting comments:
Bifrost BF2/64+ Violectric V222 = Biolectric BF222

I am getting the same sublime synergy I was getting with my old V281 and Gumby A2 but for 1500 buckeroos less.

What happens with my new combo in particular is that the stage and spatial cues turn 3d, where the V226 on it's own was just wide in staging
the Bifrost ads depth and spooky layering with a deep black background which makes everything "pop" more.

Plus the bass is just amazing, the slam and presence are out of this world - not even my big rig can do that. :)

Edit: I got the OG board in the BF - the 2/64 gives more details and air while keeping the general tonality and I got one inbound in the next 5-7 weeks.
From there it seems like more Bifrost is adding that blackness than V226 itself? Or is it achieved only through a perfect DAC/AMP match....?

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #1,289 of 1,911
For this black background test I would usually reach out to 'I can't change' and 'Oh Dear' tracks by Sophie Zelmani. Especially 'Oh Dear' track is interesting in the second part with solo acoustic guitar where you can follow all tiny nuances on black background. I would be really curious about your findings!

Just tested Oh Dear and the V222 shines with a blacker background. The V280 sounds so smooth and warm with details to match, but there is a touch more bloom compared to the V222 which you may not prefer. Great song by the way! I need to add this to my playlist.

So V202 or V222 are not good for bass heads?

In Violectric we trust. :darthsmile: I still think the V222 is amazing for bass heads, so far it's the been the best for EDM as it can do all the things (bass extension and slam, quickest transients with super clear highs that aren't too fatiguing). If you want more of an overly warm and "bloomy" sound signature then you may like the previous Vio lineup more.

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #1,290 of 1,911
So V202 or V222 are not good for bass heads?
They are well designed amplifiers so they are neutral and linear. Their bass is very punchy and dynamic but of course dead flat regarding the frequency response. So if you own bass head headphones they are going to blow them away and make them sound very enjoyable for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back