Violectric V222 and V202
Sep 29, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #811 of 1,905
The 58x is good with low powered gear, but it has quite a few issues IMO when driven by gear that is capable of properly driving it. This applies across multiple amps and DACs. Most of it is in the bass where they become boomy and highlight the distortion/lack of definition in the bass region. I feel that both the HD650 and HD660s are significantly better on powerful amplification. It will beat the HD650 when both are driven by low powered amplification.
I haven't noticed any issues with the 58x and the Jot combo but this is how I described using it:

"My second favorite Senn is the 58x -- easier to drive than the other Senns with a good low end.

"It was fantastic for streaming with my Thinkpad laptop and a Moondrop Dawn dongle."

Of course I'll be curious how the V222 likes it.

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #812 of 1,905
It looks like two or possibly three people ordered the V222 on Drop.

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #814 of 1,905
For Sennheiser HD6* series V280/V281 will be better options as those have much higher watts at 300 ohms and more tube like warmness, but they cost much more.
• V222 is a direct sonic descendant of V280 / V281. The captivating blend of tube liquidity / spatiality with solid-state delivery of transients characterises V222 - as it does V280 / V281.
• For 300 ohm (nominal) impedance HD6## headphones, the more relevant parameter is voltage delivery. As per the manuals: while the maximum voltage delivered into 600 ohms from V281 is 40.2 (balanced), that from V222 (SE) is 23.2. Both of these are plenty for HD6## !!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #815 of 1,905
Actually more like around 10. The recent activity at the bottom of the drop page only shows 3 of the most recent purchases.

Sep 30, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #818 of 1,905
I haven't noticed any issues with the 58x and the Jot combo but this is how I described using it:

"My second favorite Senn is the 58x -- easier to drive than the other Senns with a good low end.

"It was fantastic for streaming with my Thinkpad laptop and a Moondrop Dawn dongle."

Of course I'll be curious how the V222 likes it.
The HD58x will sound good, but you will become more aware of it's bass limitations if you listen to bass heavy genres if you have other headphones to compare to. I would say they brought out more bass of the headphone than it is capable of handling and it impacts the rest of the frequency spectrum. The limitations isn't really an amp issue as I have the same "issue" across all my more powerful amps. It rears it head when the headphones drivers are driven properly and give all the bass that they were tuned for. It won't be that noticeable when you listen to less bass heavy genres like jazz, classical etc. but will show itself in rock, hip-hop, electronica etc.

The HD58x has good scaling, but there other headphones that will scale more. The balanced output on my V226 sounds better than the unbalanced output, but both outputs are very good.

Sep 30, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #819 of 1,905
The HD58x will sound good, but you will become more aware of it's bass limitations if you listen to bass heavy genres if you have other headphones to compare to. I would say they brought out more bass of the headphone than it is capable of handling and it impacts the rest of the frequency spectrum. The limitations isn't really an amp issue as I have the same "issue" across all my more powerful amps. It rears it head when the headphones drivers are driven properly and give all the bass that they were tuned for. It won't be that noticeable when you listen to less bass heavy genres like jazz, classical etc. but will show itself in rock, hip-hop, electronica etc.

The HD58x has good scaling, but there other headphones that will scale more. The balanced output on my V226 sounds better than the unbalanced output, but both outputs are very good.
I sold my HD-58x recently as I also found the highs to be bit muddy comapared to my HD-6xx no matter which amp I used, but given its prices and power requirement I still think it is a good headphone.

Sep 30, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #820 of 1,905
I ordered one as well :L3000:

Looking forward to Hearing it soon!

Leo

Sep 30, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #821 of 1,905
I ordered one as well and I know of two others that ordered them also...Now comes the hard part....The waiting 🤣

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #822 of 1,905
Been looking at a used V226 (I know, V202/222 thread but same family & much more active here) and considering it as a potential replacement for my JDS Element 3 since the V226 has the preamp.

Anybody do a similar transition? I'm really not sure what to expect sound-wise, both from a detail and tonality side. The Element 3 generally seems to be regarded as pretty flat neutral. Main headphones are mostly ZMFs (in signature) but Caldera is kinda the impetus for the upgrade.

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #823 of 1,905
Been looking at a used V226 (I know, V202/222 thread but same family & much more active here) and considering it as a potential replacement for my JDS Element 3 since the V226 has the preamp.

Anybody do a similar transition? I'm really not sure what to expect sound-wise, both from a detail and tonality side. The Element 3 generally seems to be regarded as pretty flat neutral. Main headphones are mostly ZMFs (in signature) but Caldera is kinda the impetus for the upgrade.
I dont have the answer but noticed its currently on sale @ drop.com.
https://drop.com/buy/violectric-dha-v226-headphone-amp-dac

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #824 of 1,905
Oct 5, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #825 of 1,905
For those who ordered a V222 --- what amp are you replacing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back