Violectric V222 and V202
Oct 11, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #841 of 1,954
I got my 222 from Thomann. Great price, quick shipping, and zero issues.

Two things to note though:

1) your unit will come 220v, so don't forget to open up the lid and switch to 115v; and

2) the Violectric warranty will be invalid, so you will have to rely on Thomann's warranty instead
Why no warranty? Because you are not buying from the North American distributor?

Oct 11, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #842 of 1,954
Because it is a gray market product selling and shipping into the US when they are not supposed to. I understand they offer great prices and that can be tempting. They sell at bottom line with little margin left but they sell large quantities worldwide. I spent the last decade working very hard to build this brand in North America. Thomann has been the number one offender and are ruthless in this regard.
I used to have my own business and grey market dealers sucked.

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #844 of 1,954
Because it is a gray market product selling and shipping into the US when they are not supposed to. I understand they offer great prices and that can be tempting. They sell at bottom line with little margin left but they sell large quantities worldwide. I spent the last decade working very hard to build this brand in North America. Thomann has been the number one offender and are ruthless in this regard.
I know from personal experience with my V281 how comprehensive a Violectric warranty is. I wouldn't buy any new Lake People or Violectric component at a discount if it meant doing without the manufacturer's warranty.

That warranty is more than repairs--it means I can email or call your company here in the states to help assess a problem & how to best address it. Some issues can be resolved w/o sending the unit out for service.

Beyond that, I met Fried Reim at shows. At one time we communicated via email & the V281 thread regarding something I was doing with my V281. There's something to be said for knowing & communicating with the people who actually design the gear....

Sorry to talk about the V281 on the V202/V222 thread. But my underlying message is the same for all these models.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #845 of 1,954
I know from personal experience with my V281 how comprehensive a Violectric warranty is. I wouldn't buy any new Lake People or Violectric component at a discount if it meant doing without the manufacturer's warranty.

That warranty is more than repairs--it means I can email or call your company here in the states to help assess a problem & how to best address it. Some issues can be resolved w/o sending the unit out for service.

Beyond that, I met Fried Reim at shows. At one time we communicated via email & the V281 thread regarding something I was doing with my V281. There's something to be said for knowing & communicating with the people who actually design the gear....

Sorry to talk about the V281 on the V202/V222 thread. But my underlying message is the same for all these models.
I bought a used V220 a year and a half or two years ago. I hadn't even thought about the warranty since it was used. I contacted someone, I think it might have been Arthur and he told me that the unit had a five year warranty and it was transferable. I was blown away! You can't beat that kind of service.

I wonder if the new products have that warranty. I looked at the V222 and couldn't find any info regarding warranty.

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #846 of 1,954
I used to have my own business and grey market dealers sucked the life out of bona fide players.
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.]

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #847 of 1,954
Which one has the most pleasant and warmer sound, the Violectric HPA V202, or the V222? (Please consider that there is quite a significant price difference between the two. There is a promotion in the V202).

And how do these compare to the Schiit Jotunheim 2 (priced similarly to the V202) and the Head Amp GS-XMini (there is a demo unit available near me with a nice price, but still double of the V202 promo price)?

My headphone collection includes the Sennheiser HD600, Grado SR125x, Hifiman Sundara Closed, AKG K712, AKG K371, and B&W P5 Series 2. Each one has qualities I like and some aspects I'm not too fond of. Some of them sound too bright for my taste, as I prefer a warmer sound signature. So, I need an amp that can provide that warmth.

I don't use a balanced connection currently, but in the future, I might try balanced cables for my HD600 (which is why I'm considering the V222/Jot 2/GS-XMini). However, my priority is to enhance the sound quality and warmth of some of my headphones.

My current amp collection includes the Schiit Valhalla (1st gen), Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS, Rega EAR, and Nuforce HDP. None of them are very powerful, I believe. I primarily listen to classical, jazz, and a bit of everything else.

I appreciate Schiit as a brand and enjoy reading their stories. I'm a bit of a fan. However, I don't think their house sound aligns with my preferences because I found the Valhalla too cold when I was expecting a rounder sound from a tube amp. But I still like their brand. I have also read good things about Violectric, and it seems like they might be more to my liking, but I'm not sure. Tomorrow, I will audition the V202.

Thanks for your help and opinions!

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #848 of 1,954
Which one has the most pleasant and warmer sound, the Violectric HPA V202, or the V222? (Please consider that there is quite a significant price difference between the two. There is a promotion in the V202).

And how do these compare to the Schiit Jotunheim 2 (priced similarly to the V202) and the Head Amp GS-XMini (there is a demo unit available near me with a nice price, but still double of the V202 promo price)?

My headphone collection includes the Sennheiser HD600, Grado SR125x, Hifiman Sundara Closed, AKG K712, AKG K371, and B&W P5 Series 2. Each one has qualities I like and some aspects I'm not too fond of. Some of them sound too bright for my taste, as I prefer a warmer sound signature. So, I need an amp that can provide that warmth.

I don't use a balanced connection currently, but in the future, I might try balanced cables for my HD600 (which is why I'm considering the V222/Jot 2/GS-XMini). However, my priority is to enhance the sound quality and warmth of some of my headphones.

My current amp collection includes the Schiit Valhalla (1st gen), Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS, Rega EAR, and Nuforce HDP. None of them are very powerful, I believe. I primarily listen to classical, jazz, and a bit of everything else.

I appreciate Schiit as a brand and enjoy reading their stories. I'm a bit of a fan. However, I don't think their house sound aligns with my preferences because I found the Valhalla too cold when I was expecting a rounder sound from a tube amp. But I still like their brand. I have also read good things about Violectric, and it seems like they might be more to my liking, but I'm not sure. Tomorrow, I will audition the V202.

Thanks for your help and opinions!
For tube-like liquidity and slight warmth - with solid-state adeptness at transients - both V202 and V222 will ‘fit the bill’. They are the direct sonic descendants to the praised V200 / V220 / V280 / V281. What differentiates V202 from V222 is maximum power and XLR / 4.4mm headphone connection.

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #849 of 1,954
Quick question after reading some of the previous comments about grey market sellet's and the lack of associated warranty. Am I right to assume that I will get the 5 year warranty havinging ordered via Drop? I checked Drop's web page and there was no mention of warranty one way or another. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #850 of 1,954
Quick question after reading some of the previous comments about grey market sellet's and the lack of associated warranty. Am I right to assume that I will get the 5 year warranty havinging ordered via Drop? I checked Drop's web page and there was no mention of warranty one way or another. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
There is also no mention of warranty on the Power Holdings page for the V222?

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #851 of 1,954
There is also no mention of warranty on the Power Holdings page for the V222?
Hey Shane,

I didn't see any mention of the warrenty either on their webpage or the PDF download. I'm assuming that Drop is NOT a grey market sales outlet for the V222 and that the standard warranty would be in effect.......

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #852 of 1,954
Hey Shane,

I didn't see any mention of the warrenty either on their webpage or the PDF download. I'm assuming that Drop is NOT a grey market sales outlet for the V222 and that the standard warranty would be in effect.......
I wonder if the warranty has changed?

Oct 12, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #853 of 1,954
I got my 222 from Thomann. Great price, quick shipping, and zero issues.

Two things to note though:

1) your unit will come 220v, so don't forget to open up the lid and switch to 115v; and

2) the Violectric warranty will be invalid, so you will have to rely on Thomann's warranty instead
Glad to hear you already have one -- how's the sound?
How does it compare to other amps you have tried?
One reviewer mentioned that it got warm. Is that an issue for you?

Oct 12, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #854 of 1,954
Hello, would ya’ll get the V226 or IFI IDSD Pro as an all in one for He1000 stealth?
I would get the V222 plus a Modi Multibit 2 or Bifrost 2 depending on budget and call it a day. Great synergy with Eggmans.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back