Violectric V200 The Smooth Operator
Feb 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #16 of 45

Quote:
nice write up Frank!

I really like my V200. It sounds pretty damn good and doesn't take up too much space and it works with all my headphones well. It definitely is a keeper for me. I've been tempted to sell my other SS amp but I got it at such a bargain that I don't think I will ever end up selling it.

Thansk fopr the kind words. What gain setting do you use on the HE500

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #17 of 45
Hey Frank... Fantastic review. It's nice to see this relatively under appreciated amp get some love.

I believe I found the v200 to be slighty more "neutral" than your review indicates you did... Whatever that means. Regardless, the V200 deserves the accolades it has been receiving, as it combines a very pleasing sound signature with the ability to drive nearly every headphone currently made.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #18 of 45
Thanks Olias. Nice amp that will be missed.  Bass extension was more extended than treble which made me feel it was not that neutral but it was an easy to listen to amp that deserves a listen as it will work on any headphone but not sure it will give the hE6 all the love the 6 needs but not sure since I didnt have one around.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #19 of 45
Great review, thanks

Just purchased a V200 from Naim.F.C on the forum here and should have it in the next couple of days, can't wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Now to decide what Dac to pair it with ?

Cheers, Carl

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #21 of 45

Quote:
Thanks Olias. Nice amp that will be missed.  Bass extension was more extended than treble which made me feel it was not that neutral but it was an easy to listen to amp that deserves a listen as it will work on any headphone but not sure it will give the hE6 all the love the 6 needs but not sure since I didnt have one around.

It's pretty darned good with the HE-6. The only amp I've used that drives my HE-6 better is my Pioneer SX-1050 receiver... I'd say the V200 and Liquid Fire are about even. The V200 provides more bass impact and quantity, while the LF has better treble and soundstage and an overall more enjoyable presentation.

I don't believe I've heard the HE-6 driven to their potential yet.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #24 of 45
Great review! I think my next purchase just might be a Violectric.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #25 of 45
Regarding the V200 with HE-6.
The violectric gets pretty close to being able to power the HE-6 to its fullest.

With the LCD-2, it is top notch.
Among all the amps I have, I'm not sure, but the Violectric still might be the best I've heard with it...

I haven't spent tons of time listening to the LCD-2 from the Dark Star, but I'd say that with the LCD-2, nothing grabbed my attention as being significantly better than the V200.

This is intended as high praise, when a $1000 amp can hold its own in such esteemed company as the LF and DS.

I recommend it highly if that is your headphone of choice.

Just make sure your source is up to task.

That's the only "quirk" I can report with the Vio, if you want to call it that.  That it really is more source-dependant than other amps I've heard.
It seems to "come alive" when there is a really fine DAC upstream.
But, it can sound quite flat and boring with something more humble.
Go figure...

Cheers and happy listening!!  
biggrin.gif

The Wuss

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #26 of 45
Please don't remind me! I'm going to sorely miss that thing. That sub bass extension and smoothness was just unbelievably addictive! 

DAC wise, I thoroughly recommend the Rein Audio X-DAC. Ignore this new lust for USB that sounds just like Optical, with the X-DAC you get the best of two worlds with neutrality from USB and some added musicality from Optical. So rewarding being able to just switch between the two on the fly depending on the sound you fancy (though I end up spending 90% of my time with optical).

The V200 and X-DAC have made me realise that whilst neutrality is desirable and important, having the right balance of musicality is actually harder to get right, but can harbour just as much, if not more musical enjoyment.

Quote:
Great review, thanks

Just purchased a V200 from Naim.F.C on the forum here and should have it in the next couple of days, can't wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Now to decide what Dac to pair it with ?

Cheers, Carl

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #27 of 45
My LCD 2 arrived today, and driven by the V200 via a CDP it just sounds perfect.  Mind you the T1 via the same amp/source is pretty special as well (both headphones with 0 gain set).  The V200 is a fine SS amp that handles efficient, inefficient, high ohm and low ohm impedance phones equally well and with that fabulous blackground.

Solid review Frank I.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #29 of 45
Man I need another amp like I need a hole in the head.. Sigh...

I am going to buy the V200 from Robert at Aphrodite Cu29, well he'll be sending it out in a day or two. He's also sending me a V181 to play with and they will both be getting reviews as well.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #30 of 45
Great write up, Frank. I agree...Robert was very good at answering all my questions. I also have a thing for German products. The V200 goes great with the Rein Audio X-DAC. I was in the market for the V800, but read similar impressions about the Rein, at $500 cheaper. I find that the V200 sounds really good with all my cans, the LCD-2's benefiting the most. I have never heard music like this before. So smooth, so warm, so engaging. I find myself listening to the whole song, instead of breaking it down and focusing on different aspects as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back