Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
May 27, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #422 of 1,069
Give the Violectric 200hrs of use, all kinds of music, pink noise, whayever you have, at 12 o'clock on the volume pot, and it'll come to you. If you still aren't happy after that send it back for a full refund.

It's a bloody good hpa, versatile with a lovely sounding pre-out, can run all kinds of hp's and iem's, has a ton of voltage and current, and sounds fabulous via balanced out, my preffered connection.

If you are still struggling, don't hang onto it, get it returned.
I also use the balanced.
I'll wait 200 hours for burn-in and then decide.
I hope you are right.
How long do you use it and what headphones do you have?

May 27, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #423 of 1,069
I also use the balanced.
I'll wait 200 hours for burn-in and then decide.
I hope you are right.
How long do you use it and what headphones do you have?
I use it lots, specially at night, most nights with cans. I run vintage Sennheiser HD250 Linear II, HD540 Ref II, modified HD800, and Audeze LCD-XC. I cannot complain, the presentation from this HPA is tip top and the LCD-XC via balanced is my goto when i want to blow my head off, and even at very high sound pressure levels the presentation remains impeccably well behaved, controlled and clear as a bell. Lovely presentation, wide soundstage and whilst being very detailed, it is very slightly on the warm side of neutral.
ETA: I leave it switched on 24/7 like the rest of my audio gear so it's always warmed up and ready to go.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #424 of 1,069
Jun 8, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #426 of 1,069
Been away from cans for awhile. My V281 didn’t get much use for a long time. My DAC was average. Discovered how nice a remote for volume would be. I am going to upgrade almost exclusively to move to a remote. I also like black..

Again, been out of touch. This is the 281 replacement? It should sound very similar to what I have. Would that be a fair comment?

I have moved from an Oppo I was using as source and have been using a Simaudio 280D streaming DAC which I just got a couple weeks back. I love it and cans are sounding pretty awesome. Missing is a remote and maybe a fresh black look.

I would imagine this is a good match. I do not want an analytical sound.I’m okay with a slight touch of color.

I know this is the 550 thread but anything else I should at least do some homework on? Up to maybe $3k or so.

When in use the 281 was a good mate. The 550 looks excellent. Love the looks. But I guess sometimes it’s also nice to try different.

But the early running and the 550 looks to be a great move.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 24, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #429 of 1,069
P in the serial number and noticable while changing volume

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #432 of 1,069
Update on my HPA...
It came back from Violectric with the volume pot issue rectified, or so i thought.

It's fair to say it was good for the first 30hrs or so use but then the issue i originally had started to creep back in. Eventually it was as bad as it was before and i had to approach my audio dealer. He wasn't impressed that we were back to square one and neither was i so he had a word with Violectric and i'm getting a brand new unit that is due here tomorrow.

My dealer was well prepared to refund all my money no question but i love this amp. What would i replace it with for similar money (although i was prepared to throw another £1000 on top of the Vio price).

When you're not adjusting the volume it's a wonderful bit of kit to listen to and i would have been so gutted to let it go.

I cannot say enough good things about my dealer, they are called 'The Audiobarn' based in the UK. It has to be said, find a really good dealer wherever you are and they are worth their weight in gold.

Fingers crossed this issue is history.

Just another thing... I have purchased a Shunyata VENOM V10-NR mains power cable on the recommendation of my audio dealer. He swears by it and reckons i'll note a genuinely perceptable improvement in audio. Does anyone have any experience with this cable? I'd sincerely welcome honest comments on this.

Jul 5, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #433 of 1,069
Update on my HPA...
It came back from Violectric with the volume pot issue rectified, or so i thought.

It's fair to say it was good for the first 30hrs or so use but then the issue i originally had started to creep back in. Eventually it was as bad as it was before and i had to approach my audio dealer. He wasn't impressed that we were back to square one and neither was i so he had a word with Violectric and i'm getting a brand new unit that is due here tomorrow.

My dealer was well prepared to refund all my money no question but i love this amp. What would i replace it with for similar money (although i was prepared to throw another £1000 on top of the Vio price).

When you're not adjusting the volume it's a wonderful bit of kit to listen to and i would have been so gutted to let it go.

I cannot say enough good things about my dealer, they are called 'The Audiobarn' based in the UK. It has to be said, find a really good dealer wherever you are and they are worth their weight in gold.

Fingers crossed this issue is history.

Just another thing... I have purchased a Shunyata VENOM V10-NR mains power cable on the recommendation of my audio dealer. He swears by it and reckons i'll note a genuinely perceptable improvement in audio. Does anyone have any experience with this cable? I'd sincerely welcome honest comments on this.
Knowing how the relay volume control is problematic, going back, would you pick the non PRO version instead? Or would you still go with the PRO version?

Jul 6, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #434 of 1,069
Knowing how the relay volume control is problematic, going back, would you pick the non PRO version instead? Or would you still go with the PRO version?
I'm not sure.

I had my dealer's demo model here to compare against mine and it has to be said the volume pot on his isn't the quietest reed relay pot i've heard, there are some loudish clicks, cracks and pops on his, and a tiny bit of distorted sound as the pot is moving at around 8 o'clock but not to the same extent as mine which is really bad.

I auditioned a Benchmark HPA4 and their reed relay pot was very quiet, the clicks/cracks were very faint and had zero baring on the sound.

There is a brand new unit arriving today, i hope i don't experience the same nonsense after a short time of use. If it does it will be going back and this time i'll get my money back and buy something else.

What else to buy i'm not sure. I just hope mine is an isolated bad unit and not part of a bad batch that my dealer has received.

From what i've experienced i'm surprised nobody here has complained about it, maybe that's a good thing and it was just the one unit. I'll report back.

Jul 6, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #435 of 1,069
I am afraid it will be the same, Violectric uses a very strange reed relay in its amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back