Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Jul 7, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #452 of 1,057
New amp arrived today. Plugged in and powered up. First impressions...

The volume pot has an audible pop at 10 O'clock, the rest of the pot has those very faint clicks but exactly as i expect. This should not change in any way shape or form 6mths, a year, or 5yrs from now.

I am keeping a diary on this so every time i use it i will write some notes. 6mths from today i expect the status quo to remain, if that is the case then i am very happy and it's problem solved however, there is always that nagging doubt at the back of my mind that this volume pot nirvana won't last and i'll be expecting a change for the bad sometime in the very near future. I hope not, fingers crossed. 😁🤞👍

Jul 14, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #453 of 1,057
I recently bought the V550 and I am pretty happy with it so far. I am currently using it with the iBasso DX300 with the Amp12 card. I've been comparing the sound with the headphones plugged into the DX300 and V550 back and forth. Obviously, as expected, the sound quality is so much better with the V550 and the difference is very noticeable. It's like comparing a closet with a concert hall. The sound stage and clarity are just amazing. The DT 770 PRO sounds significantly better with this amp.

The build quality is top notch and the design is good. But I have a few nitpicks and wishes. It gets pretty warm. This is probably normal but worth mentioning. The amp surface collects and keeps all stains from my fingers. Maybe I have oily fingers. I also read that the surface can be scratched easily. But I am not sure if I want to cover to avoid overheating. I wish it had a 4.4mm output like its brother the V590 model. I was considering it just for this reason. But I didn't want a DAC in it. I also wish there was another headphone XLR output in the back like the Ponitor XE. And my biggest complaint is probably the dip switches on the back panel. I would prefer a simple 3 way toggle switch on the front panel. It would be so much more convenient. And I don't see a lot of reason to control gain for each channel separately. It probably makes sense for some people deaf on one ear. But it seems like an edge case.

Overall, I can live with the above nitpicks and I love my new toy so far.

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #454 of 1,057
Does anyone here have recommendations for DAC pairings with the V550? I'm currently experimenting with the BF2/64 and Pontus II DACs. Curious if anyone has DACs that they think pair exceptionally well with it.

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #455 of 1,057
I recently bought the V550 and I am pretty happy with it so far. I am currently using it with the iBasso DX300 with the Amp12 card. I've been comparing the sound with the headphones plugged into the DX300 and V550 back and forth. Obviously, as expected, the sound quality is so much better with the V550 and the difference is very noticeable. It's like comparing a closet with a concert hall. The sound stage and clarity are just amazing. The DT 770 PRO sounds significantly better with this amp.

The build quality is top notch and the design is good. But I have a few nitpicks and wishes. It gets pretty warm. This is probably normal but worth mentioning. The amp surface collects and keeps all stains from my fingers. Maybe I have oily fingers. I also read that the surface can be scratched easily. But I am not sure if I want to cover to avoid overheating. I wish it had a 4.4mm output like its brother the V590 model. I was considering it just for this reason. But I didn't want a DAC in it. I also wish there was another headphone XLR output in the back like the Ponitor XE. And my biggest complaint is probably the dip switches on the back panel. I would prefer a simple 3 way toggle switch on the front panel. It would be so much more convenient. And I don't see a lot of reason to control gain for each channel separately. It probably makes sense for some people deaf on one ear. But it seems like an edge case.

Overall, I can live with the above nitpicks and I love my new toy so far.
I'm down in my right ear so I use the balance control not gain controls. I have mine set to 0 gain factory setting and use the volume control appropriately. That works for me. The only time I get a difference in gain is between balanced and single ended inputs/outputs, 6db difference but again volume control sorts that out.

Once those gain controls are set leave them alone, you'll forget about them unless you connect something that has a partularly low or high output then adjust but for the most part leave them alone once set.

Yes it gets warm but never too warm, I leave mine on all the time.

I can split my 4 pin XLR into 2 x 4.4mm Pentacon with an adapter I have. If you want to share your XLR connection or for doing A/B between cans it works great.

Wipe the surface with a large dry spectacle cleaning cloth, marks come right off. It is an unusual surface finish/coating but it's fine.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #456 of 1,057
I'm down in my right ear so I use the balance control not gain controls. I have mine set to 0 gain factory setting and use the volume control appropriately. That works for me. The only time I get a difference in gain is between balanced and single ended inputs/outputs, 6db difference but again volume control sorts that out.

Once those gain controls are set leave them alone, you'll forget about them unless you connect something that has a partularly low or high output then adjust but for the most part leave them alone once set.

Yes it gets warm but never too warm, I leave mine on all the time.

I can split my 4 pin XLR into 2 x 4.4mm Pentacon with an adapter I have. If you want to share your XLR connection or for doing A/B between cans it works great.

Wipe the surface with a large dry spectacle cleaning cloth, marks come right off. It is an unusual surface finish/coating but it's fine.
Yes, it all makes sense. I would just add a couple of comments.

High sensitive IEMs pick up some hiss noise with the increased gain. So I probably won't be using them with the amp because I don't want to keep changing the gain settings.

I am using a DIY passive headphone switch with different output connectors. It's basically like an adapter for 6 headphones. It works great.

I am planning to get a wooden monitor stand big enough to cover the amp.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #457 of 1,057
Does anyone here have recommendations for DAC pairings with the V550?
I like it with the Spring3 KTE very much and I've worked a number of headphones off that setup 900mk2/909, HEKv2, D8Kpro, Stellia, LCD-24, and 1266 TC and currently I have it together with a Yggdrasil OG and working with Radiance, TH909 and HE6se. It will work the Susvara too, but I prefer the Sus with the Spring3 KTE & Ferrum OOR stack - but you already know all this I'm sure.

A DAC that would be fun to try but might could be too thick depending on HP is the Sonnet Morpheus, though I've never heard it personally. The Aqua LaVoce might be something to try as well but again I've not heard that DAC either so just ideas.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #458 of 1,057
I'm torn between getting a V550 PRO and a Niimbus us 5 pro.

Everyone seems to agree that the Niimbus is the more neutral of the two but as I'm not using it for mixing/mastering but instead musical enjoyment, wouldn't the V550 suit me better?

My LCD-4z are quite warm and I love them to bits but since I can't try either before purchasing, I'm not sure how to decide between the two.

I listen to music to get pumped up and not to relax so dynamics and transient response are the most important audio characteristics for me but it has to sound as lifelike as possible to be convincing.

That being said, any opinions on which amp to get would be much appreciated thanks.

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #459 of 1,057
I only have V550 and listened to Niimbus once, but I wouldn't say V550 is not neutral. I've also seen some opinions that it's warmer but using all of my audio experience, I'd say it's maybe 2% from perfect neutrality (whatever that means) towards musicality (whatever that means too). It's not an amp that modifies the sound characteristics.

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #460 of 1,057
Does anyone here have recommendations for DAC pairings with the V550? I'm currently experimenting with the BF2/64 and Pontus II DACs. Curious if anyone has DACs that they think pair exceptionally well with it.
I also have it with Spring3 KTE and they sound exceptionally well together. I believe it might be the case with more R2R DACs. I also use it with TT2 sometimes, but IMO whatever you connect to the TT2, it always degrades the perfectly clean sound of this DAC/AMP combo less or more. Of course, we don't always desire perfect sound reproduction and it's pleasing also for me, but in such cases I recommend some cheaper DAC or using an external tube amp

Sep 6, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #462 of 1,057
Niimbus is not only more neutral, it have significantly more resolution, better detali, is more dynamic and slam harder.
Niimbus is not only more neutral, it have significantly more resolution, better detali, is more dynamic and slam harder.
If I go the Niimbus route I will have to use it with my Chord Mojo until I get myself a Spring 3 KTE as I would not have the funds to do both.

There's always a tradeoff and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #463 of 1,057
if I fed V550 with RCA unbalanced input do I benefit of the full power of V550 ? Do I loss dynamic compared to XLR balanced input ?
I don’t see differences in V550 power spec.

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #464 of 1,057
if I fed V550 with RCA unbalanced input do I benefit of the full power of V550 ? Do I loss dynamic compared to XLR balanced input ?
I don’t see differences in V550 power spec.
It is my understanding that the V550 converts the unbalanced signal into balanced on the input stage prior to the actual amplification so you shouldn't be losing any power or dynamic range using RCA inputs.

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #465 of 1,057
It is my understanding that the V550 converts the unbalanced signal into balanced on the input stage prior to the actual amplification so you shouldn't be losing any power or dynamic range using RCA inputs.

That’s great, thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back