Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Nov 25, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #481 of 1,069
Anyone ordered this amp from Thomann, is there any import taxes to be paid when it reaches the US, will ship to Oregon which is sales tax free, I ultimately will take it out of the US so may not require the warranty if I buy from Power-Holdings and price at Thomann is bit better at present.

Nov 25, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #482 of 1,069
Anyone ordered this amp from Thomann, is there any import taxes to be paid when it reaches the US, will ship to Oregon which is sales tax free, I ultimately will take it out of the US so may not require the warranty if I buy from Power-Holdings and price at Thomann is bit better at present.
I did and I had the same concern. But I didn't have to pay any import taxes.

Nov 26, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #484 of 1,069
Question for all of the V550 owners;

How big of a difference in SQ is there between the SE and balanced jacks?

Nov 26, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #485 of 1,069
There shouldn’t be any, but be sure to use the right jack if going SE (the left jack is reversed polarity)

Nov 26, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #486 of 1,069
There shouldn’t be any, but be sure to use the right jack if going SE (the left jack is reversed polarity)
Yeah someone had mentioned that to me prior. I'm more interested in using the SE jacks to do fast A/B comparisons between two headphones and then balanced jack for listening for fun.

So on the left SE jack, are the channels flipped or is there a significant difference in frequency response/sound?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #488 of 1,069
Nov 26, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #489 of 1,069
The SE output jacks, where you plug the headphone in.
The balanced output is much better.
You are using the four internal amplifiers and you get more expanded and holographic soundstage, deeper detail retrieval, more open sound, greater dynamics.
Well better.

Nov 26, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #490 of 1,069
The balanced output is much better.
You are using the four internal amplifiers and you get more expanded and holographic soundstage, deeper detail retrieval, more open sound, greater dynamics.
Well better.
I understand that and intend to use the balanced output for general listening.

The dual SE jacks are of interest to me for doing A/Bing between two headphones for my headphone reviews, but if the left SE output sounds vastly different to the right SE output that defeats the purpose, or am I not understanding you guys correctly?

Nov 26, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #491 of 1,069
I understand that and intend to use the balanced output for general listening.

The dual SE jacks are of interest to me for doing A/Bing between two headphones for my headphone reviews, but if the left SE output sounds vastly different to the right SE output that defeats the purpose, or am I not understanding you guys correctly?
The left and right single ended outputs sound excaltly the same.

Nov 26, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #492 of 1,069
Nov 26, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #493 of 1,069
The left and right single ended outputs sound excaltly the same.

That’s not exactly correct (according to the manual anyway)

Attachments

• AF035F4D-95A5-4828-99E6-AF83269A87F9.jpeg
    AF035F4D-95A5-4828-99E6-AF83269A87F9.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 0
Nov 26, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #494 of 1,069
It's interesting why an inverted polarity headphone output even exists. I could be wrong, but from what I understand, it can be used for certain poorly recorded songs where microphones might have been misplaced affecting the signal and making it out of phase or weak. I think the idea is that inverting the polarity would fix it and improve the weak signal. I don't know how frequent this problem is. I also don't know if the difference is noticeable if the signal is inverted on a good recording.

You can read more about it here and here.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #495 of 1,069
That’s not exactly correct (according to the manual anyway)

It's interesting why an inverted polarity headphone output even exists. I could be wrong, but from what I understand, it can be used for certain poorly recorded songs where microphones might have been misplaced affecting the signal and making it out of phase or weak. I think the idea is that inverting the polarity would fix it and improve the weak signal. I don't know how frequent this problem is. I also don't know if the difference is noticeable if the signal is inverted on a good recording.

You can read more about it here and here.
The internal amplifier is differential balanced.
This is the connection topology to get two single ended outputs (instead of the usual one) without further signal processing and further balanced to unbalanced conversion.
Screenshot_2022-11-27-09-41-55-333-edit_com.adobe.reader.jpg

Both single ended outputs sound excaltly the same.
Everything else belongs into the sphere of imagination.

I have reviewed the amplifier and I am not just speculating.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back