Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jun 4, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #5,491 of 5,979
You absolutely have the right amp. I've heard a VC with my V281 (2-3 yrs ago, so grain of salt, etc), and it is a bit bright. Or maybe just so dynamic that the upper mids hit harder...? Never too sure about the tone vs dynamics seesaw.

You don't have a comprehensive profile, so I can't be sure of certain things, especially cables. But I would use the best copper-only headphone cable with the VC.

And at the risk of suggesting more "change something else" steps, you might want to investigate a multibit or (better yet) NOS DAC. I suggest that not because it's some kind of tone control for the VC (not that at all), but because DACs of that type often sound more natural, flowing, and musically realistic, with no frequencies spotlighted, as can happen w/delta-sigma designs.

No absolutes here, of course; implementation is all. Still, my experience was that I started getting somewhere overall in both my desktop systems once I bagged d-s DACs.
I have experimented with a few different DACs and settled on the Chord DACs. Totally hear you on the R2R idea, problem is when I have tried some like that- I've found them slow, or noisy or I don't like them. I don't think these were high level- Unison Schiit Gungnir I think was the highest level. I preferred the Chord Mojo 2 believe it or not, even though the layering was better on the Gungnir. Also regular DS dacs like Mytek Brooklyn I've found absolutely awful to my ears. It's the upper midrange, 4k area. The Chord DACs seem to give me most of what I want and none of what I don't. I think part of what also is an issue with the VC is that it's closed and with tinnitus I think this adds pressure to the ear drums and increases ringing in the ears. I might have to accept that closed is not the way to go.

I have a very irritating preference in that I want maximum attack, slam and dynamics but, that is often a problem for tinnitus. So it's a bit of a game of whack a mole trying to find what fits.
Definitely a great recommendation on a high quality headphone cable, that's next on the list I think, but they do cost silly money these days.
All existing interconnects are copper or non-brightening types.
The timbre of the VC is astounding as is the resolution. For slower paced music, they are incredibly good. For faster harder stuff it can get a bit much for my ears.
Definitely worth tweaking a few things first though because it's very good.

Jun 5, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #5,492 of 5,979
I think part of what also is an issue with the VC is that it's closed and with tinnitus I think this adds pressure to the ear drums and increases ringing in the ears.
I just have to comment that I have also gotten quite a pronounced tinnitus in the last couple of years and when I recently upgraded to the V281 I noticed a substantial increase in physicality of the bass on both my closed and open headphones compared to my old amp and though it's absolutely wonderful to listen to, it also worries me. I plan to take some decibel measurements to see what volumes I'm actually listening to soon (and I believe that because the V281 has better bass, I'm actually listening to lower volumes now than before... but do these physical bass notes carry more energy? I don't know...).

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #5,493 of 5,979
but do these physical bass notes carry more energy? I don't know...
Excellent question. I don't know, either, though I always assumed higher frequencies hurt my ears more than low frequencies when volume is high.

I have tinnitus, too. It's pretty easy to aggravate it with headphones: just listen too often, at too high a volume, or for too long. I mix & match those variables, mostly by not listening to headphones as often or as loudly as I might have 15-20 yrs ago, if I'd been into headphones then. So far, so good.

When I find myself wincing at certain louder notes, they're always midrange on up, never bass. That makes intuitive sense. Human hearing is not flat to begin with: the acuity of our hearing is weighted towards the midrange frequencies where speech occurs, also where there's lots of energy during emergencies that involve sound (lightning, tree branch breaking loose, a barking dog, a gunshot, etc). I believe that factor is the basis of the Harman curve as well as "loudness contour" controls on preamps and integrated amps.

The only problem I have with my V281 and other amps that have superb bass, is that the bass is so pleasing to my ears & mind that I might crank the volume a little higher than usual just to luxuriate in it (a good problem IMO). The same thing happens with headphones that have exceptional bass...

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #5,494 of 5,979
I just have to comment that I have also gotten quite a pronounced tinnitus in the last couple of years and when I recently upgraded to the V281 I noticed a substantial increase in physicality of the bass on both my closed and open headphones compared to my old amp and though it's absolutely wonderful to listen to, it also worries me. I plan to take some decibel measurements to see what volumes I'm actually listening to soon (and I believe that because the V281 has better bass, I'm actually listening to lower volumes now than before... but do these physical bass notes carry more energy? I don't know...).
Just to add to previous comment from @Pharmaboy

Sorry to hear that regarding tinnitus. Not quite sure I'm understanding perfectly. I believe treble causes tinnitus at sustained high decibel and SPL levels. Bass frequencies... I'm of the understanding that in general, they don't. If you're listening at lower volumes that's better for your ears. I got tinnitus from a huge sound system playing far too loud over 20 years ago. Badly run sound system, run at dangerous levels for too long with ultra cheap ear piercing piezo tweeters. Yes, not listening too loud for too long and you should be ok. I personally would not be worried about bass levels but anything in the range that sounds piercing. And if your ears are ringing, like Pharma said- just be aware of that and use it as a warning of exposure or overexposure.

Jun 7, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #5,496 of 5,979
Not sure if this is relevant or not, but high frequencies (especially violins) used to actually hurt my ears. As I get better and better equipment over the years that doesn't happen anymore. Or if it does, it's barely noticeable if at all
I think this is a great comment and it does seem like higher quality equipment set up properly- can produce a sweeter, more natural analog sound. Especially a reduction in noise, digital noise, glare- can really reduce sibilance and unpleasant high frequencies. It's also weird how you don't realise how much of that you have, until you take it away.

I've started the first of my tweaks. I changed the power cable on the Violectric 281 to a Puritan Classic+, really not expecting much. We have a company here in the UK called Puritan. It's quite funny because the guy who runs the company doesn't care about marketing at all. So all his stuff looks straight out of the 90s. Cheap connectors, all 'seems' very amateurish. Like what LTA audio used to look like before they got Fern and Roby involved. But, Mike from Puritan used to work on noise reduction in nuclear submarines. So he does know what he's doing and the lack of fancy appearances keeps things very affordable- that cable was 'only' £85.

Anyway I did a few hours on the amp last night with very little burn in on the cable and I think, I do actually think it's reduced some sibilance in the highs, improved the soundstage and bass response a very little bit. Too early to say for sure. When the changes are this subtle I think it's easier to tell if you leave the cable in for a good few weeks then switch back to the stock one- so I'll do that.

But at this point I think it's possible I might be able to tweak my way to sticking with the Verite Closed for a while. Might have a look at some affordable fuses next, for the power conditioner and plug for the amp. I know we're into contentious territory here but, those who know- you know. You believe it when you hear it and I've been very surprised how much difference a fuse can make in the plug of an amp.

Ethernet switches is a new one on my horizon. What is it with digital signal chains?! Seems like every year there's a new 'essential' gadget... how many components do we have to buy!?

Jun 7, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #5,497 of 5,979
What is it with digital signal chains?! Seems like every year there's a new 'essential' gadget... how many components do we have to buy!?
… the point of digital is for purveyors to get more fingers in your wallet … 😳😂.

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #5,499 of 5,979
I thought they would have run out of fingers by now!
… when one purveyor runs out of fingers, another purveyor begins prying … 😏🤑

Jun 8, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #5,501 of 5,979
Jun 8, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #5,502 of 5,979
How is the SE compared to balanced output, there are some amps where the SE is a downgrade like the BHA-1, is this the case here as well?
Is the V280 a downgrade?
https://www.headfonia.com/violectric-v281-masterpiece/ made a comment on the difference between SE and BAL.
"...I can pretty much say the same things for the Single Ended output of the V281 right now. It’s darn good but the thing with the V281 is that the balanced out is so much better. Sound stage is quite a bit wider and has more air. Detail and timbre have been added to the mids section and while pure bass body might be a bit less it makes more than up for it with extra detail and timbre. The bass on the balanced out is superb: Layering, depth, timbre, body and punch. It’s all there, yet not as bodied as on the SE out. You still get that pitch black back ground and these amps are dead silent..."

I would guess that it's subjective but consensus seems to be that it is a downgrade with the SE vs BAL but, maybe more that it's like having two slightly different amps.
SE uses one amp, BAL uses two amps one for each channel. Despite having the amp I've never used the single ended. Didn't really make sense to have a box where I was only using half of the components.

Jun 8, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #5,503 of 5,979
If I am 100% set up for single ended (all my cables), is it as simple as buying an adapter from 6.3mm to balanced 4-pin XLR?

Jun 8, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #5,504 of 5,979
If I am 100% set up for single ended (all my cables), is it as simple as buying an adapter from 6.3mm to balanced 4-pin XLR?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. But if you refer to a V281 and are asking how to connect a single-ended, 6.35mm (1/4") jack to it, the answer is simple: the V281 has 2 x 6.35mm, single-ended outputs on the front panel.

However, as mentioned above: with any balanced amp like the V281, you can listen to single-ended headphones all day long and you'll love the sound. But if you were able to connect that same headphone to the V281 via a balanced (4-pin XLR) cable, you'd hear a slightly different amp, because 100% of the amp's sections are employed to make the balanced output (vs 50% for the single ended).

I've listened to several headphones on the V281 via single-ended vs balanced cables (same headphones, different cables). The balanced output sounds somewhat more spacious and resonant to me. Not a huge difference. Then again, even small difference matter a lot in this hobby.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #5,505 of 5,979
Thanks for the response. Yes, that's what I was getting at. If, after I enjoy the SE output thoroughly, I also want to try balanced, is it as simple as taking my existing (mostly FAW) SE cables and connecting them to a 10cm adapter 6.3mm to 4-pin XLR? Or do I need a whole new, entire cable? Silly question, but I've never had to consider balanced connectors before. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back