Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Nov 6, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #4,399 of 5,916
I have embarrassing news about my opamp-rolling experiment with the V281. In email with Fried Reim, he pointed out I have swapped opamps in the line-out PCB of the V281--not the the input PCB, as I thought I was doing.

The embarrassing part is this: any sonic changes I've heard through my (very revealing) studio monitors are probably real, but any sonic changes I thought I heard through headphone cannot be real. In short, I got nailed by my own confirmation bias.

So I just attempted to remove the line-out PCB in order to gain access to the input PCB, where I hoped I could put the Sparkos opamps in place of the stock opamps. But this proved impossible:
  1. I lack the tools necessary to remove certain screws & nuts. The screws require a type of screwdriver unknown to me: it's not anything I've ever seen before nor have on hand.
  2. Worse yet, I can visualize enough of the opamps on this lower/input PCB to know the Sparkos opamps would almost certainly not fit there. Their height would probably be OK, but their greater width/depth would not fit in the cramped space on the front-facing side of the stock opamps, where they bump up tightly against another device (2nd picture below).
So I'm done with this experiment. I'll leave the Sparkos in the line-out PCB because I like their sound so far on my studio monitors.

Still, I know many V281 owners are more interested opamp rolling for the headphone output--something that seems impossible based on what I'm seeing.

I'm very sorry to mislead any of you about opamp rolling the V281...

Back Panel 1.png

Gut Shot.png

Nov 6, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #4,401 of 5,916
I’ll take it apart if anything 10 years installing alarm circuit boards should help me place the opamps in right place. Good thing is top board is using star screws and buying the tool is at car parts store even Home Depot has them. I just hope the opamps have enough room. I’ll post picks.

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #4,403 of 5,916
Am I safe in assuming I won't have to worry on the V280 as it doesn't have the additional layer for the line outs. They are still just right on top for mine, correct? I haven't pulled the cover off to look inside of mine yet.

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #4,404 of 5,916
Here is a picture of the Sparkos in adapters in a V100. The stock op amp is on the right. The V100 does not have the red resistors on either side of the op amps. My V200 does have the resistors and with one 8 pin extender It clears with plenty of room for heat dispersal.

IMG_0021.jpg .

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 0
Nov 6, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #4,405 of 5,916
Here is a picture of the stock op amps on the bottom and a Sparkos single ( for illustration purposes ) on the top. The 8 pin adapter that I mentioned is on the right. Note: the stock and the Sparkos are mounted in one single 8 pin adapter. I put the gold dot on the stock for my identification of pin one and to log what it is and what it came out of. Note the tiny vendor marks that Pharamaboy mentioned on the stock op amp on the lower left.

IMG_0103.jpg

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #4,407 of 5,916
To those who have opened their V281s, can you locate any fuse somewhere in the box that one could change/replace in the hopes of enhancing sound quality? I have been looking at the pictures to see if I can locate one, but I am not having any success. BTW, I am no expert at these things, but I thought i should ask, just in case. Thanks.

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #4,408 of 5,916
I have embarrassing news about my opamp-rolling experiment with the V281. In email with Fried Reim, he pointed out I have swapped opamps in the line-out PCB of the V281--not the the input PCB, as I thought I was doing.

The embarrassing part is this: any sonic changes I've heard through my (very revealing) studio monitors are probably real, but any sonic changes I thought I heard through headphone cannot be real. In short, I got nailed by my own confirmation bias.

So I just attempted to remove the line-out PCB in order to gain access to the input PCB, where I hoped I could put the Sparkos opamps in place of the stock opamps. But this proved impossible:
  1. I lack the tools necessary to remove certain screws & nuts. The screws require a type of screwdriver unknown to me: it's not anything I've ever seen before nor have on hand.
  2. Worse yet, I can visualize enough of the opamps on this lower/input PCB to know the Sparkos opamps would almost certainly not fit there. Their height would probably be OK, but their greater width/depth would not fit in the cramped space on the front-facing side of the stock opamps, where they bump up tightly against another device (2nd picture below).
So I'm done with this experiment. I'll leave the Sparkos in the line-out PCB because I like their sound so far on my studio monitors.

Still, I know many V281 owners are more interested opamp rolling for the headphone output--something that seems impossible based on what I'm seeing.

I'm very sorry to mislead any of you about opamp rolling the V281...

Lol. The mind is a powerful thing indeed.

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #4,409 of 5,916
I need Fried’s email. Trying to find opamp location on v281.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back