Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Apr 7, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #3,571 of 5,980
It not a clicking noise, almost like static when adjust the volume. Doesn't seem normal to me. Brand new unit.

As it has been discussed several times before, this is not a defect. It is the compromise they made to give you the very best volume control without channel imbalance. You should not worry about it as the noise is normal and not a defect. But I can understand if it bothers you. It is a lot like the surface noise with LP except that it happens only when you change the volume. Some people can completely ignore it, some cannot.

Personally, once I set the volume to the level I like, I leave it alone and re-start the music from the beginning, sit back to really enjoy it, so the noise during the change is basically irrelevant to me. But on inferior volume control, the slight imbalance messes up the center image and annoys the heck out of me, especially with amps that do not have the balance adjustment.

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #3,572 of 5,980
Have any of you guys (and girls) made an in-depth comparison of the V281 and GS-XMk2, allegedly one of the best solid-state head amp available?

The GS-X Mk2 is a wonderful amp for the Focal Utopia. It also works very well with the HD800S, Grado PS2000 and Fostex TH900Mk2 but, to my ears, is not the best amp for these cans--the Apex Teton is but sadly, being an OTL, it is a very poor amp for the Utopia due to impedance mismatch.

Just wondering what you think about pairing the V281 with the HD800S, Grado PS2000 or Fostex TH900Mk2.

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #3,573 of 5,980
Exactly, clicking I can live with. But this is like a static cracking/popping noise. I'm sure there are technical reasons. I get very precise channel matching etc, but doesn't change the fact that from a user experience point of view, its very annoying and takes away from the overall enjoyment.

Interesting how we respond so differently to the same thing.

I do not seriously listen to music until the volume has been perfectly adjusted to the level I want so I barely notice the crackling noise during the adjustment, especially when the manufacturer told me the noise is normal--BTW, these Lake People folks are incredibly nice and very responsive to customers! The V281 is the third product I bought from them.

Apr 7, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,574 of 5,980
Interesting how we respond so differently to the same thing.

I do not seriously listen to music until the volume has been perfectly adjusted to the level I want so I barely notice the crackling noise during the adjustment, especially when the manufacturer told me the noise is normal--BTW, these Lake People folks are incredibly nice and very responsive to customers! The V281 is the third product I bought from them.

I adjust volume all the time in my office at work, people walking in etc. At home, I dont as much once I set it. Different use cases. We all hear and respond differently. I totally agree, Arthur is one of the best in the business. Best customer service ever and he also his stuff.

I own the Focal clear and it sounds fantastic out of both the GS-X mkII and V281. Heard the Utopias and they sounded really good out of the v281 (the subtle warmth complements it). I do own the TH900mk2 but have not tested it with the V281. Can do that and let you know.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #3,575 of 5,980
... Heard the Utopias and they sounded really good out of the v281 (the subtle warmth complements it)...

As a new owner of this same combo, I found the Utopia to sound incredibly powerful out of the surprisingly quiet V281, with plenty of detail and placement, even via their stock cable. The issue now is finding a suitable balanced cable to connect the two...

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #3,576 of 5,980
Just wondering what you think about pairing the V281 with the HD800S, Grado PS2000 or Fostex TH900Mk2.
TH-900Mk2 are my primary cans. I own V200 and I think Violectrics 2XX are best amps for these. I`ve tried various other amps (even bought some of them for long-term listening) and always return to Violectric to find that it sounds better. I`ve never had a V281, but it should sound like a better version of V200, so I think it have to be a great match.

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #3,577 of 5,980
TH-900Mk2 are my primary cans. I own V200 and I think Violectrics 2XX are best amps for these. I`ve tried various other amps (even bought some of them for long-term listening) and always return to Violectric to find that it sounds better. I`ve never had a V281, but it should sound like a better version of V200, so I think it have to be a great match.

My primary headphones are HD-800 but the TH-900 is something special. When you get into the level of headphones at a certain price point there are very few that interest me but I will eventually own a pair of the TH-900's as they are unique and special in so many ways.

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #3,578 of 5,980
Why do you guys think the GS-X mkII is listed on the innerfidelity wall of fame but the V281 is „just“ „stuff we like“. Maybe because of the „clicking noise“? Haha. No, serious, I know the WoF is not to be seen as a non plus ultra, I‘m just curious what you think.

Apr 8, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #3,579 of 5,980
Thanks!

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #3,580 of 5,980
Why do you guys think the GS-X mkII is listed on the innerfidelity wall of fame but the V281 is „just“ „stuff we like“. Maybe because of the „clicking noise“? Haha. No, serious, I know the WoF is not to be seen as a non plus ultra, I‘m just curious what you think.

I wouldn't put too much thought into InnerFidelity's Drywall of Fame. One has to wonder how long it will be left standing...

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #3,581 of 5,980

I have the TH900s as well and can't wait to pair them with the V280.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #3,582 of 5,980
Well, I think they used this amp incorrectly.

Take a look at the quote:
Coming in third is the LCD-3 fazor paired with the Violectric V281.
I noticed some noise issues using the V281's 4-pin balanced out and quickly switched to single ended.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-participant-report-brian-na-blur
I have LCD-3 and V281, and there is no any hint of the noise in any mode.
It is really hard to get noise from this pair, but they somehow succeeded in that regard.
The only case when I can get very quiet noise is when I set the gain higher
and turn the volume knob to the maximum position!

The second thing is the input level. V281 can accept up to 21 dBu for both XLR and RCA.
If you use something like Benchmark DAC with 24 dBu by default, you can have overloaded signal.
This is especially noticeable with the highly compressed music, which will be clipped above 22-23 dBu.
I don't know how they set things up, but this may lead to slightly bright/harsh/busy sound signature.
The best thing you can do here is not to exceed 20 dBu (7.75 V RMS).
But in the case of the Big Sound I cannot see the device which may produce such a high level.

The third thing is the pairing. V281 is a transparent amplifier. It does not make the sound sweeter, liquid etc.
It can sound good with a good DAC. It can sound worse with worse DACs or with incorrect setup.

When you have something which make the sound sweeter, more pleasant, you can be more careless about the accurate setup.
When you have something accurate, you should be accurate too, otherwise you can get strange result.
It is too easy to make something wrong, much easier than most people think.
Especially when you have lots of things to change.

And, finally, this may be personal preference of reviewer.

This is what I think about that :)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #3,583 of 5,980

Head Amp makes great amps. Honestly I have yet to read any actual review discuss the noise when adjusting the volume on a unit with the modified pot(speaking about the v281). When you get into a level of amps that are in a niche arena It really is hard to pick one above the others as they all seem to merge and do great things. Perhaps the Head Amp won out because you can order it in different color options /sarcasm.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #3,584 of 5,980

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back