Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 3, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #3,361 of 5,985
I don't know which UPS do you use, but I tried two different UPS with so called modified sine output (square wave or something similar).
In this case this gear always sounded slightly muddy. Finally, I removed such devices from the chain.
Yes, these types of products hardly ever do any good for audio. Unless it is a power conditioner that is designed with audio use in mind, I don't bother with them and it is not for the lack of trying. The muddy bass and overall lean sound that lacks body and meat on the bones as well as making the upper end sound harsh and brittle is the pretty typical result. I have yet to come across one that does not have that effect. Stick to "audio grade" power conditioners, they can and do make a rather noticeable and appreciable difference in sound quality.

Jan 3, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #3,362 of 5,985
I don't know which UPS do you use, but I tried two different UPS with so called modified sine output (square wave or something similar).
In this case this gear always sounded slightly muddy. Finally, I removed such devices from the chain.

My UPS is APC BR1500. It was the most powerful compact/desktop model available 8-9 yrs ago, rated for 1500V/865W output & ~30" runtime on battery (battery time is load-dependent) + automatic voltage regulation (useful during brown-outs) & impressive surge protection on all outlets.

One advantage of using this lower-tier APC model is there's no circuitry to "rebuild" the sine wave or regenerate output power w/in specs needed by medical equipment or powerful servers. Thus there's zero audible effect of having this UPS between all my audio gear & incoming power.

BTW, I use this UPS in a somewhat different manner than when I first purchased it. Then I was solely dependent on it to permit "orderly shut-down" of my computers. But 5-6 yrs ago I got a propane-fired standgy generator + automatic transfer switch (system is more than large enough to drive the entire house & all elec. systems). It takes ~8 seconds for the ATS to kick the generator on during a power outage--so now it's only during those 8 seconds that the UPS proves its value--keeping my computer & audio gear continue operating as if nothing was happening.

Back to the V281--I have on various occasions heard it powered by just regular power outlets here (no UPS). If there's a difference between that and the sound powered by UPS, I can't hear it.

Jan 3, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #3,363 of 5,985
Back to the V281--I have on various occasions heard it powered by just regular power outlets here (no UPS). If there's a difference between that and the sound powered by UPS, I can't hear it.
I've been down that road with all kinds of UPS and audiophile grade power conditioners over the last 30 years. A well designed audio grade power conditioner is not something you will NOT notice. :) Of course everything else should be in order such as decent power cable, interconnects and of course the headphone cable itself. The audio chain is only as strong as the weakest link. By comparison to 2 channel audio, with headphones, the biggest obstacle to good sound which is the room itself and how your speakers interact in that acoustic environment is removed from the equation. That is both great and bad. Great because you are not dealing with all kinds of frequency anomalies of speaker to room interaction but bad because the headphones are also so revealing of upstream components. These differences in cabling and other components are sometimes lost or overshadowed by bigger problems with 2 channel audio but not in headphones. So it is very important that the whole chain of headphone playback is top notch. What "top notch" means is up to you and your budget to decide of course. :) One thing I can tell you with certainty, the amount of money one spends on a great headphone rig would cost 10-20x as much to even remotely come close to same sound quality and that is not taking acoustic treatments for the room into consideration. Great speakers do not come cheap and neither do great amplifiers, preamplifiers and DACs to drive it all.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #3,364 of 5,985
Getting back to Violectric V281. The reason I instantly fell in love with the V281 sound signature. Being into 2 channel, high end audio for so long, I've had many an amplifier grace my system over the years. The most elusive and coveted quality in 2 channel audio is an amplifier that can pull off the balancing act of sounding dynamic, transparent, resolving, having a great grip on speakers it is driving and at the same time to be smooth, grain-less, to have proper weight, body and soul. Being engaging and musical. These are the criteria for the long term listening satisfaction. This is a difficult task for the designer. Many amplifiers tend to nail some aspects but miss the others. Being dynamic but sterile, being smooth but boring and uninvolving, sounding extremely resolving and fast but missing the musicality and soul mark. Yes, I have come across, owned and auditioned many amplifiers and some of them cost as much as a new BMW. That is what it takes sometimes to nail the mark, perfection does not come cheap. I was grinning ear to ear when I received my V281, plugged in my headphones and instantly recognized all the sonic qualities I would have loved to carry over from my 2 channel audio days. Yes, the V281 nails it solid when it comes to all the sonic qualities coveted by seasoned audiophiles. How great is that to find such a product at multiples less than a comparable 2 channel amp? Love the V281. :)

Jan 3, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #3,368 of 5,985
Jan 5, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #3,369 of 5,985
May sound a bit strange, may sound a bit hard to believe but here goes.. Perhaps power conditioning is not something that is as popular with the headphone community as it is in 2 channel audio. I have been into 2 channel audio much longer than headphones (almost 30 years now) so to me a good power conditioner is a must for any 2 channel system. So here is an interesting story for the Violectric fans. I have a V281 and a few other amps plugged into a Richard Gray Power Conditioner that I have been using for the past 8-9 years. It has always been "pretty good" at what it does. Certainly there is a noticeable difference when I plug anything in my headphone audio chain straight into the wall vs a power conditioner. It always manifests itself as a smoother, silkier treble, typically better resolution in the bass and micro detail retrieval increases. As the noise floor drops, the blacks become blacker and it is easier to hear deeper into the soundstage. This is a fact with any decent power conditioner. Now, just the other day I started noticing a change in sound quality with my other 3 amps except the V281 at certain times. I could not put my finger on it but I finally figured it out this evening. Whenever I turned my V281 OFF, the sound got worse from the other amp that I was listening to. I was able to duplicate the results by carefully listening to any other amp and just by turning the V281 on or off, the sound was always better with the V281 being ON! What the??? I would understand the opposite, noise from another amp dirtying the AC line but OFF??? Well, turns out the power supply of the V281 has very good filtering and conditioning, so much so, that in this case was actually filtering the AC coming in and out. Don't forget, AC moves both ways... I have to say in all my years being involved with audio, this is a new one for me. I would have never believed it if I did not witness this first hand and was able to duplicate it each and every time. Kudos to Violectric for building such an outstanding power supply that actually affects everything downstream from it in a positive way. Learn something new every day. :)
Their power cord is also very nice. I want to buy like 5 power cords from Arthur. :)

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #3,370 of 5,985
Yes. Try to find the cable which has separate four wires right from the jack 3.5.

They look like this:
2103_big.jpg

The following cable is probably (you can't be sure) splitted closer to RCA:
986678_bb_00_fb-eps_1000.jpg

Such thing may harm the crosstalk because of impedance of the common wire.

Good morning

I am getting no sound with this setup
iPhone to mojo
Single 3.5 out
dual rca
Into v281.
Any help?

Thanks in advance

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #3,371 of 5,985
Good morning

I am getting no sound with this setup
iPhone to mojo
Single 3.5 out
dual rca
Into v281.
Any help?

Thanks in advance
Do you have a sound in the headphones in this case (from Mojo, not in the line level mode)?
Do you set Line level mode with your Mojo when it is connected to V281 (see manual)?
Do you have a sound with 3.5 to 2xRCA with other gear?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #3,372 of 5,985
Do you have a sound in the headphones in this case (from Mojo, not in the line level mode)?
Do you set Line level mode with your Mojo when it is connected to V281 (see manual)?
Do you have a sound with 3.5 to 2xRCA with other gear?
Ok. Mojo is auto on imput etc.
and yes with the other gear.

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #3,373 of 5,985

Users who are viewing this thread

Back