Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jun 3, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #2,011 of 5,977
I totally agree with that assessment of the Taurus. It's a beautiful piece of equipment but these days there are plenty of good alternatives to consider.

I suspect the V280 would be a good choice for a similarly priced, similarly powerful amp that gives a somewhat less bright signature. 

You make me curious for some other alternatives... :)

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #2,017 of 5,977
You make me curious for some other alternatives... :)

Cayin iHA-6 is very, VERY close to the Taurus. Like 95% of the sound signature. For $999. More power too, despite the smaller size. It has a few drawbacks in comparison but they aren't sound related. My review should be up at InnerFidelity in the next week or so.

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2,018 of 5,977
Cayin iHA-6 is very, VERY close to the Taurus. Like 95% of the sound signature. For $999. More power too, despite the smaller size. It has a few drawbacks in comparison but they aren't sound related. My review should be up at InnerFidelity in the next week or so.

Looking forward to it. Gonna be an entertaining read as usual. You spoke in plural... any other amps that come to mind?

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #2,020 of 5,977
Anyone know how I can measure the loudness (in DB) of the music I'm listening to?
Apparently I listen to music too loud and so I fear for my hearing.

There are apps that you can download on your phone and place it inside your headphone's cups. While presumably not the most precise form of measurement, it might give you a general idea about how loud you really listen.

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #2,024 of 5,977
Like with all good things in life, it's the length that matters. Or shall we say the amount. Sola dosis facit venenum. If you listen loudly, do so for a short timespan. There are charts on the web that demonstrate reasonable ratios as a rough guide.

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #2,025 of 5,977
Like with all good things in life, it's the length that matters. Or shall we say the amount. Sola dosis facit venenum. If you listen loudly, do so for a short timespan. There are charts on the web that demonstrate reasonable ratios as a rough guide.

This.

Here's a link to my article from InnerFidelity a few years back, covering the basics. Personally, I use a Radio Shack SPL meter to get a decent idea of what my levels are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back