Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jun 11, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #2,043 of 5,977
Not silly at all.

I didn't notice any SQ difference when increasing the gain settings, but I didn't A/B test it all that much. It is a pain to test as you have to power down the amp to adjust the settings.

Anyone else A/B test the gain settings and can comment?

Jun 11, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #2,046 of 5,977
Silly question I am sure but can someone explain why setting the gain at +6 or +12 alters the sq making it brighter and more edgy?

Well, interesting question as I found something with my V281 that is quiet interesting, only after I recieved the Audeze LCD4.

So when I recieved the LCD4 I had to turn the knob to 3 and 4 o clock to make them sound somehow loud and get punch, as with the 100 ohm LCD3 it was quiet loud at 11 o clock with max 12 o clock for low sounding recordings.

The first impression, was amazing soundstage, but I felt it was some warm sound, not the correct bass punch, so I started running LCD4 for run-in, and 2 days ago I changed the jumper on back of my V281 to +6db gain on the pre-signal. Then I just had to turn the volume knob to 12 o clock for it to sound loud but not too loud. at 1 o clock with +6db gain its loud (the limit I will use not to risk hearing damage).

What I felt was more correct lower tones, and bass was more tight with +6 db gain. Less warm sound and more accuracy and control.

Then I wondered what the heck was going on ? and I found the answer in the V281 manual:
"The frequency range covers 5 Hz ... 70 kHz (-0.5 dB) or 3 Hz…200 kHz respectively (-3 dB), in order to ensure fully linear performance within the entire audible range"
"Too loud ? Too soft ? The PRE-GAIN method "

So in other words, when volume knob is turned too high eg. on gain setting to 0db the amp passes the -3 db point when volume knob is turned too high for instance at 3 and 4 o clock, and the sound gets soft according to the manual. The -3 db mark is to ensure linear reproduction of sound below -3db.

So this is why the gain can be changed, to increase pre-signal +6 or +12db depending on impedance on our headphones to ensure we stay below the amp's -3db mark when listening to our favourite music.

I hope I understood this correctly. please adjust me if its not.

Here is the manual:
http://violectric-usa.com/download/Violectric%20V281%20Manual.pdf

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #2,047 of 5,977
Silly question I am sure but can someone explain why setting the gain at +6 or +12 alters the sq making it brighter and more edgy?

I also had that impression when I tried it. The volume knob was around 12 o'clock, not at or past 3 o'clock, so the gain seems to slightly change the sound signature in general. I am no technician, but I would expect that pre-gain uses another (additional) circuit that apparently has some impact on the sound. At least to my ears the V281 sounds best without pre-gain, which is easily possible in my setup with every headphone, because my DAC (Auralic Vega) has an integrated digital pre-amp.

Jun 24, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #2,049 of 5,977
well, good enough as an interim solution.

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #2,052 of 5,977
Well, I know they are liked a lot around here but I actually didn't like the iDSD micro at all. Too harsh in the treble, a lot of glare, not particularly good in resolving. Anedio D2, Schiit Gungnir Gen 2 and V850 are simply much better. Still just use it as an interim solution until you can and WANTto  afford something better. Don't buy because somebody says so. Listen to it first. Get a loaner maybe? Ask in a HiFi shop?

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #2,055 of 5,977
  Well, I know they are liked a lot around here but I actually didn't like the iDSD micro at all. Too harsh in the treble, a lot of glare, not particularly good in resolving. Anedio D2, Schiit Gungnir Gen 2 and V850 are simply much better. Still just use it as an interim solution until you can and WANTto  afford something better. Don't buy because somebody says so. Listen to it first. Get a loaner maybe? Ask in a HiFi shop?

The V281 can be a little bright too, so having a DAC thats also bright is not a good combo. I have the Oppo HA-1 which has a Sabre chipset and its not a good combo as a DAC feeding V281 at its pre-out to Pre-in on V281. If the IDSD micro is bright and harsh, it might not be a good combo. I found Schiit Yggdrasil to be a really good DAC with V281, its just perfect and V281 amplifies its output just with pure musicality Ive never heard before. 

I also reviewed Hegel HD25 and HD30, being HD25 the better one for V281. THe HD30 is too crisp and sharp even though it goes deep, not harsh. HD25 is like the Schiit Yggdrasil.

I do believe the other Schiit DACs will be paired with V281 just fine too.

Mabye look for AMK chipset, which is known to be well balanced even to the deeper end of the spectrum. Sabre chipsets might be too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back