Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jun 7, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #2,026 of 5,977

I am extremely satisfied with Vega und V281 with good source files. The V281 is for me simply the best headamp at its price! A friend also just bought a V281 after listening to many solid-state headamps, Bryston, SPL and even Moon 430ha included. Of course, it is also a matter of taste, but I simply like the very slight warm (nearly tube-like) touch of the V281 without losing neutrality and any details. In my opinion the Vega is very picky concerning many factors: the quality of source files, digital input quality and cables (power cable and especially XLR-cable make a real difference to my ears). So it scales very well, too! I feed the Vega with an Astell & Kern AK240 (via toslink), which sounds considerably better my previos computer sources (with Regen etc.).

Quote:

My experience is that the V281 amp scales like crazy with a better DAC. From the Vega to the Hegel HD30, the V281 lifted its game accordingly, and the Vega is definitely not a mediocre DAC to start with.

@TonyNewman
​Could you please elaborate on the differences between the Vega and Hegel HD30 in combination with the V281? I am extremely satisfied with my Vega, but at some point in the future the time for another trade-up may come! :wink:

Cheers,
Bernie (xxx1313)
beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #2,027 of 5,977

Initially, not a lot. It took quite a while for the HD30 to settle down and do it's best work.

Once it had 300+ hours on it the differences were subtle, but significant. Highlights were:

1) Treble rendering. The Vega can get a little harsh and "steely" at times with the treble. Not sure if this is related to the Sabre chipset or not. The treble via the HD30 is detailed, smooth, and lovely. Really, really nice in a way that the Vega just couldn't deliver. This is, by far, the best thing about the DAC upgrade for me.

2) Soundstage size and positioning. Soundstage is bigger and has a depth that the Vega did not. If the source material is good enough, you get much more precession in the positioning of each source, particularly with the HD800/HD800S. For instrumental or classical music the difference can be quite stark.

3) Background is quieter. This is a subtle one - not sure if it is real or just inside my head - but the perception is that the background is "blacker", if that makes sense.

4) Overall smoothness without sacrificing detail or dynamics. Vega can get a little rough at times (comparatively).

Keep in mind that this is all comparative. The Vega remains a highly capable DAC in itself. My audio buddy that I sold it to is thrilled with it - it has lifted his system by several notches. The upgrade from the Vega to the HD30 did lift my system significantly, but was it worth the considerable cost? That's a subjective question - for me it was, but YMMV. The HD30 is getting into the high end DACs where pricing really starts to take off to insane levels. Not quite crazy, but definitely on the path to crazy.

I was fortunate to have both DACs for a few weeks to A/B test before letting the Vega go to its new home, so I do feel comfortable in stating the above differences.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #2,028 of 5,977
For those using their V281 with a Hugo, is there an ideal output signal level setting on the Hugo to properly match the V281?

I currently have the Chord Hugo in default volume bypass mode, which is supposed to be 3Vrms, and the V281 in +6db pre gain, powering an HE-500.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #2,029 of 5,977
For those using their V281 with a Hugo, is there an ideal output signal level setting on the Hugo to properly match the V281?

I currently have the Chord Hugo in default volume bypass mode, which is supposed to be 3Vrms, and the V281 in +6db pre gain, powering an HE-500.

I dont know the chord hugo specifically, but with other DAC's the max output is preferred to bypass the pre-amp circuits in the DAC. I use the Hegel HD25, which bypasses the pre-amp circuit at max sound level. This is why I also put my Oppo HA-1 to 3/4th turn on the volume knob as when I measured with a ADC I found that was identically sound level as the Hegel HD25 output to 100 bypassing the pre-amp circuits. 
Using a gain doesnt sound like something that should be done, it increases noise level on the DAC output, and rather use the great V281 as the signal amplifier.

Just my thoughts though.

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #2,030 of 5,977
Thinking of buying a new headphone for the v281.
Already have Ultrasone Ed.10, LCD3F and AKG 812.

Any suggestions what would suit the amp?

Pioneer SE-Master1 is definetely a good option, but the LCD3F you have is a match for SE-Master1. 

After I got LCD4, it was a step up by a few notches in many ways, more bass control, deeper tones than LCD3 (2015) and more balanced soundstage through mid-tone to treble once used on-ear and listening to eg. female vocals.

When I listened to SE-Master1 I compared it to HD800S. and SE-Master1 didnt have the treble control and highs as the HD800S. I got the treble control with the LCD3, but it was a little of the uncomfortable female vocals and mid-range violin that made me think, hmm,, seems like it can get better.

Then LCD4 arrived. man. first impression is the combination of HD800S, the SE-Master1 and the LCD3. LCD4 complements the 3 different headphones Ive heard and a bit more. Just more details and air than I heard on HD800S, together with the deep bass and punch with no uncomfortable tones even playing loud. But LCD4 draws alot of power, so V281 is recommended as it can drive them by any means!

I listened to my Oppo HA-1 as amp too, I just switched back to V281, with LCD4 its very very obvious which is the better amp of those two (this test used the HA-1 as dac in both cases, the difference was the HA-1 amp part only compared to V281).

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #2,031 of 5,977
@TonyNewman

Many thanks for your detailed description! Yes, the Vega can be a bit harsh, but the culprit is bad or mediocre source material, most of the times. It seems the upgrade has been a good decision for you. Have much fun with the HD30! Maybe I can get a used HD30 for a reasonable price at some point in the future.

Thanks,
Bernie

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #2,032 of 5,977
  @TonyNewman

Many thanks for your detailed description! Yes, the Vega can be a bit harsh, but the culprit is bad or mediocre source material, most of the times. It seems the upgrade has been a good decision for you. Have much fun with the HD30! Maybe I can get a used HD30 for a reasonable price at some point in the future.

Thanks,
Bernie

Hi Bernie,

I am running the same source material (hardware and files) with the HD30 as I was with the Vega. To my ears there is a noticeable and consistent improvement in smoothness, without sacrificing detail or dynamics, in the HD30 over the Vega - this is much more noticeable in the treble than the mids or bass. Usual caveat applies - the Vega is an excellent unit for the money and the differences are relatively small.

Going from the Vega to the HD30 is spending significant bucks for a 10 or 15% SQ improvement. I thought it was worth it, but not everyone will agree. Both my amps scaled very well with the improved DAC (V281 for solid state and Glenn 300B for tube).

Lots of great DAC options in a similar price range of the HD30. I went with Hegel mostly because I was very happy with the P20 preamp and I like the company approach (true to source, especially the dynamics). Many, many great DACs out there around the 5K mark.

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #2,033 of 5,977
Yeah, thanks for the clarification. Especially the Metrum Pavane might also be a DAC to consider. However, I prefer a DAC with a pre-amp, so the Hegel HD30 seems to be a better option for my needs. Of course I will try to test both, but they are not easily available for a listening session in Austria or southern Germany. So let's wait and see...

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #2,034 of 5,977
  Yeah, thanks for the clarification. Especially the Metrum Pavane might also be a DAC to consider. However, I prefer a DAC with a pre-amp, so the Hegel HD30 seems to be a better option for my needs. Of course I will try to test both, but they are not easily available for a listening session in Austria or southern Germany. So let's wait and see...

Dont forget that HD30 has the streamer too!! which is great running music from a phone or tablet. Once you add a computer, USB cable to the mix with other DAC's you can easily scale that up to HD30 price difference.

Im getting a loaner HD30 for review this weekend. well see if its worth the price difference for me as I got the HD25.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #2,035 of 5,977
  Pioneer SE-Master1 is definetely a good option, but the LCD3F you have is a match for SE-Master1. 

After I got LCD4, it was a step up by a few notches in many ways, more bass control, deeper tones than LCD3 (2015) and more balanced soundstage through mid-tone to treble once used on-ear and listening to eg. female vocals.

When I listened to SE-Master1 I compared it to HD800S. and SE-Master1 didnt have the treble control and highs as the HD800S. I got the treble control with the LCD3, but it was a little of the uncomfortable female vocals and mid-range violin that made me think, hmm,, seems like it can get better.

Then LCD4 arrived. man. first impression is the combination of HD800S, the SE-Master1 and the LCD3. LCD4 complements the 3 different headphones Ive heard and a bit more. Just more details and air than I heard on HD800S, together with the deep bass and punch with no uncomfortable tones even playing loud. But LCD4 draws alot of power, so V281 is recommended as it can drive them by any means!

I listened to my Oppo HA-1 as amp too, I just switched back to V281, with LCD4 its very very obvious which is the better amp of those two (this test used the HA-1 as dac in both cases, the difference was the HA-1 amp part only compared to V281).

Hmmm, LCD-3 and Master1 are veeery different animals. Nigh impossible to compare, I'd say. I don't personally own an LCD-3, but from memory it sounded significantly darker and more closed in than the Master-1; soundstage and resolution are worlds apart, IMHO. So is the LCD-3, in whatever incarnation, a "match" for the Master1? I really don't think so. Would it be suited as a complementary headphone? Maybe.
Perhaps it might be more fitting to describe the SE-Master1 as a crossbreed btw. HD800 and LCD-3 or indeed, as many have said, HD800 and TH-900. Don't know how the LCD-4 fits in the picture, since I haven't heard it yet. Your description certainly makes it sound nice, so that might be interesting, however I'm a little wary of Audeze for numerous (not necessarily sound-related) reasons.

Jun 9, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #2,036 of 5,977
  Dont forget that HD30 has the streamer too!! which is great running music from a phone or tablet. Once you add a computer, USB cable to the mix with other DAC's you can easily scale that up to HD30 price difference.

Im getting a loaner HD30 for review this weekend. well see if its worth the price difference for me as I got the HD25.

I haven't used the streaming feature yet. I run my HD30 from my PC via USB, and from an Onkyo iPod dock via SPDIF. As per the Vega, I find that USB gives a slightly better SQ than SPDIF.

The balanced output I send to the V281. RCA output I split to the Glenn 300B amp and the Hegel P20 preamp. The P20 then feeds my Accuphase P-4200 power amp.

PS Audio P3 provides the juice. I had a custom rack made to accommodate all the hardware (with some space left over for a KGSSHV Carbon - maybe, one day).

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #2,037 of 5,977

Would be great if you could post or PM some impressions then. Especially the sound quality of the toslink input would be interesting for me, if you have the possibility to test it.

Thanks in advance, Bernie.
beerchug.gif

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #2,038 of 5,977

Would be great if you could post or PM some impressions then. Especially the sound quality of the toslink input would be interesting for me, if you have the possibility to test it.

Thanks in advance, Bernie.
beerchug.gif

I actually dont have a tosling out unit :frowning2: unless I use the Chrome Audio unit but that has proven itself to have jittter so that wouldnt be a valid test. Im going to review the DAC itself with USB and the streamer, and high resolution files to consider if its worth it for me to invest in one HD30 or keep my HD25.

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #2,039 of 5,977

I haven't used the streaming feature yet. I run my HD30 from my PC via USB, and from an Onkyo iPod dock via SPDIF. As per the Vega, I find that USB gives a slightly better SQ than SPDIF.

The balanced output I send to the V281. RCA output I split to the Glenn 300B amp and the Hegel P20 preamp. The P20 then feeds my Accuphase P-4200 power amp.

PS Audio P3 provides the juice. I had a custom rack made to accommodate all the hardware (with some space left over for a KGSSHV Carbon - maybe, one day).

Very nice setup! What is that Accuphase driving?

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #2,040 of 5,977
  I actually dont have a tosling out unit :frowning2: unless I use the Chrome Audio unit but that has proven itself to have jittter so that wouldnt be a valid test. Im going to review the DAC itself with USB and the streamer, and high resolution files to consider if its worth it for me to invest in one HD30 or keep my HD25.

​Perfect, thank you!

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back