Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jul 8, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #4,786 of 6,030
V590 is the successor with a fullsize dac in one case. The standalone amp should release in autumn.
Do open new threads for new V5XX standalone amp when they become available in Autumn :)

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #4,787 of 6,030
I got one of the FE editions! Looks nice with the silver trim and on the front beneath the volume knob it says "Final Edition". As far as I know, That's the only difference I know of. If there are others, spill the beans please! Yes, it came with the usb XMOS DAC which doesn't sound bad at all. But the best part of this amp is buying it from Arthur

Jul 9, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #4,788 of 6,030
I got one of the FE editions! Looks nice with the silver trim and on the front beneath the volume knob it says "Final Edition". As far as I know, That's the only difference I know of. If there are others, spill the beans please! Yes, it came with the usb XMOS DAC which doesn't sound bad at all. But the best part of this amp is buying it from Arthur

Buying an amp from Arthur is definitely a good experience. But I suspect you'll find the best part of all is hearing the V281 (it's a killer amp).

Don't forget to burn it in. Kind of a controversial subject here, but I've always found electronics sound better after burn-in.

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #4,789 of 6,030
I am loving my V220 more all the time. I recently picked up another set of headphones and used them on the V220 to get a feel for them. The sound is so clear and clean. And the bass is substantial, when called upon. And that is with Senn HD660's.

Today I want to see if they can "scale up" with a tube amp. I volume matched the V220 and the tube amp to within 1/10th of a decible. Only one problem: I can not find one single song where the tube amp sounds better.

I am so glad that I took the advice of someone I trust and bought this used amp. I might even start thinking about selling my tube amp. This amp just does Everything so well.

Very curious to hear what Drop users think about their V280's.

Jul 12, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #4,791 of 6,030
Aug 9, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #4,792 of 6,030
Is Arthur the only place to buy in the US? I’ve been trying to get in touch for the last two days however no answer. Are there any other dealers perhaps someone with a return policy?
Fyi: There’s a v280 Now on the classifieds at a great price that i saw

Aug 10, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #4,793 of 6,030
My V281 FE just arrived today! Keen to get it home and fire it up.

I'd been using a friends modded V281 for the past week, but it's nice to finally have my own.

Aug 10, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #4,794 of 6,030
Nice, looking forward to your impressions.

Aug 10, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #4,795 of 6,030
Well i've just setup the V281 FE and I'm just blown away by this device. The aesthetics alone have me excited, but the sound with the Empyrean is just amazing.

Something I didn't realise about the Final Edition is that the body casing is done in black - like an anodised black aluminium. The regular V281 has a dark grey rough surface which when borrowing a friends unit recently, I wasn't that keen on. This black finish on the FE matches the RME ADI-2 perfectly and they look amazing together (I've paired my RME with V281 and Hugo 2 with WA2).

I've immediately plugged in my Empyrean as I haven't heard them in a few days and it's such a nice contrast to the Utopia/WA2/Hugo 2 and Stellia/Hugo 2 combinations i've been listening to this past weekend and at work today. The Empyrean just sounds so calm and easy and I am really happy I went with the Utopia/Empyrean pairing, even more so that i've found an AMP that works for both.

I haven't yet given the V281 DAC a go but I will get to that this week.

BACF3D4B-B974-4CA0-A653-BEC2C66F84E8.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #4,796 of 6,030
Aug 10, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #4,797 of 6,030
Well i've just setup the V281 FE and I'm just blown away by this device. The aesthetics alone have me excited, but the sound with the Empyrean is just amazing.

Something I didn't realise about the Final Edition is that the body casing is done in black - like an anodised black aluminium. The regular V281 has a dark grey rough surface which when borrowing a friends unit recently, I wasn't that keen on. This black finish on the FE matches the RME ADI-2 perfectly and they look amazing together (I've paired my RME with V281 and Hugo 2 with WA2).

I've immediately plugged in my Empyrean as I haven't heard them in a few days and it's such a nice contrast to the Utopia/WA2/Hugo 2 and Stellia/Hugo 2 combinations i've been listening to this past weekend and at work today. The Empyrean just sounds so calm and easy and I am really happy I went with the Utopia/Empyrean pairing, even more so that i've found an AMP that works for both.

I haven't yet given the V281 DAC a go but I will get to that this week.

BACF3D4B-B974-4CA0-A653-BEC2C66F84E8.jpeg

I heard the Empyrean at length on my V281. It was the best sound I got from that headphone...

Love my V281. It's so exceptional IMO that I don't have a back-up plan...can't find anything else in its category, certainly nothing with the V281's flexible I/O & gain settings.

Aug 10, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #4,798 of 6,030
I heard the Empyrean at length on my V281. It was the best sound I got from that headphone...

Love my V281. It's so exceptional IMO that I don't have a back-up plan...can't find anything else in its category, certainly nothing with the V281's flexible I/O & gain settings.

What cable were you using?

Also which DAC did you pair it with?

Finally, leather or alcantara?

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #4,800 of 6,030
What cable were you using?

Also which DAC did you pair it with?

Finally, leather or alcantara?

At the time I had 2 DACs (2 systems): Audio GD NOS 19 in main system; Audio GD DAC-19 in secondary system.

I used both sets of pads and liked each set for slightly different reasons.

The cable was my favorite aftermarket cable: 2M ForzaAudioWorks HCP Noir MKII (balanced). For SE amps, I attached the handy FAW "pigtail" (4-pin XLR female jack on HP side; 6.35mm jack on amp side).

I suppose it's possible these DACs were all wrong for the Empyrean. Perhaps it would still be in my stable if I'd had sharper-sounding delta-sigma DAC. Then again, I never liked the D/S sound and don't wish to go back...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back