Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Oct 30, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #3,962 of 5,976
There's nothing inherently wrong with using a laptop. Depending on the DAC, the USB connection might be jittery or have other problems. But that really has nothing to do with the Amp your're using, unless you're using the V280/281 with a built-in DAC.

This probably isn't the right thread for this discussion. You might try here:

https://www.head-fi.org/forums/computer-audio.46/

or here:

computeraudiophile dot com
Thx, as a owner of the Violectric. Trying to get some input,from other, their choice of digital source.

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #3,963 of 5,976
(2nd reply) I just noticed the powered monitors you mention. Those are both superb transducers. Obviously you're in the high-end of 2 channel audio there, particularly w/the ATC (I have passive ATC SCM12 Pro speakers + a 250wpc class D Wyred4Sound ST-500 amp...I know how good ATCs are).

If you compare the V281 to high-end preamps, you may/may not hear certain limitations in subtle qualities such as micro-dynamics, transparency, ultimate soundstaging. I wouldn't know because I no longer have my big audiophile living room system set up--so I can't test the V281 against trad high end preamps. Still, I suspect you'll like the V281 as a preamp. Whether it meets xtreme high end sonic standards, it has 3 very distinct advantages:
  1. Remote control of a stepped pot
  2. Gain adjustments that are critical to the interface w/either of your powered monitors in a real-world system
  3. And the ability to use the V281 as an exemplary headphone amp, should you ever go in that direction (it's one of the best SS HP amps around)
I suspect the ATCs in particular would fully convey the slam & dynamics of the V281, as well as its reach into deep bass...

Thanks for the feedback!
The advantages you listed so clearly are exactly what I was thinking of bringing at home the V281.
Let's hope to have a good trade-in...

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #3,964 of 5,976
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #3,965 of 5,976
Thank you bluenight! Actually if anyone opened that link I posted, it's an XLR cable for over $3000. It was more like a provocation and I wanted to hear what you say to this. But anyway. Maybe I get some Violectric cables. :)

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #3,966 of 5,976
Thank you bluenight! Actually if anyone opened that link I posted, it's an XLR cable for over $3000. It was more like a provocation and I wanted to hear what you say to this. But anyway. Maybe I get some Violectric cables. :)

I did open that link. Upon seeing the price, I briefly lost consciousness and had to be revived with smelling salts.

Seriously, I've been in audio a long time, purchased many interconnect cables in that time. I tend to hear differences between cables, though the difference is rarely large (unless the cable run is long, in which case capacitance can really pile up & mess w/sound).

I only own 1 XLR cable. Did quite a bit of reading and found, even w/in the lower levels of the audio press (people who tend to support pricey ICs) that many said XLR cables play by different rules & don't really contribute to sound. That was interesting, but incomplete. Then I looked into the pro audio community and found many there who comment only briefly/parenthetically about sound (they're way more focused on function & cost). Still, there was some preference for certain configurations of mogami cables and the like.

What I haven't really seen is much audio press on high end XLR cables. RCA or BNC cables, yes--lots of comments.

I wouldn't spend $3K on any cable, so in my mind this discussion is less about pure cost than benefit: ie, what would I gain by jumping up from the usual $20-$30 for a pair of XLR cables, to 3-5X that cost?

Nov 3, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #3,967 of 5,976
No one needs 3k cables when we can purchase:
Brilliant_Pebbles_All.jpg

Good to see the thread going and welcome to the new owners as I have not been on in a while to say welcome earlier.

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #3,969 of 5,976
Niimbus amps are in stock, in Germany at least. USA should be in stock a few hours later. Who's making the jump? @astrostar59 ?

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #3,970 of 5,976
I did open that link. Upon seeing the price, I briefly lost consciousness and had to be revived with smelling salts.

Seriously, I've been in audio a long time, purchased many interconnect cables in that time. I tend to hear differences between cables, though the difference is rarely large (unless the cable run is long, in which case capacitance can really pile up & mess w/sound).

I only own 1 XLR cable. Did quite a bit of reading and found, even w/in the lower levels of the audio press (people who tend to support pricey ICs) that many said XLR cables play by different rules & don't really contribute to sound. That was interesting, but incomplete. Then I looked into the pro audio community and found many there who comment only briefly/parenthetically about sound (they're way more focused on function & cost). Still, there was some preference for certain configurations of mogami cables and the like.

What I haven't really seen is much audio press on high end XLR cables. RCA or BNC cables, yes--lots of comments.

I wouldn't spend $3K on any cable, so in my mind this discussion is less about pure cost than benefit: ie, what would I gain by jumping up from the usual $20-$30 for a pair of XLR cables, to 3-5X that cost?

I agree. But with care you can gain sound quality trying out different cables. I went up to about 600K per cable, I wouldn't want to go further. And at that level I did get a better sound. My interconnects as silver RCA cables made by Audio Note. I run short lengths, 1.5m max, so that probably helps.

I Also found different headphone cables make a big difference. It is great for system tuning, so if you want more detail, or more warmth, cables can do that for you. I went from a standard SE LCD4 cable to a balanced all silver Norne Druag and the improvement was dramatic. This was also partly affected by the Viollectric 281 using all it's amps at that point, as opposed to half. But I would guess even if the amp used was not true balanced, there would still be an improvement.

Back to your point, I would never spend beyond 15% of the system cost on cables.

Nov 9, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #3,971 of 5,976
I would add to the post above. IMO I think you need an amp and HP roughly the same budget. Otherwise the HP will never realise it's true potential. It is not just about power, also about timbre and sound quality that you get with a better amplifier.

Also there are way to many iPhone and portable DAC users on this forum IMO using a them with a top HP. Today's top HPs can embarrass many 50K speakers, and nobody would suggest having a budget or compressed data source for those. My own view is you need to be on something like the Chord DAVE and upwards to realise the best performance from the LCD4, Abyss, Susvara, 009 etc. You can get an ok sound with lesser DACs, but after hearing a top DAC as a source I would never want to go back.

Nov 9, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #3,972 of 5,976
chird dave and UPWARDS?...i would say with a chord dave any HP will sound fantastic

Nov 15, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #3,974 of 5,976
I see them taunting me on the US site but honestly the stack I have now for just the HD800 is perfect for me. I would love to see how many of the v281 users make the upgrade.

Are you using the SDR mod with the HD 800? Curious, because the person I bought my HD 800 from told me, it is not needed with the V281. Interested in your opinion.

Nov 15, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #3,975 of 5,976
Are you using the SDR mod with the HD 800? Curious, because the person I bought my HD 800 from told me, it is not needed with the V281. Interested in your opinion.

No they are bone stock minus the cable. I have heard the mod and its neat but I honestly love the unmodified sound of the HD-800. I might be in the minority with that opinion here at Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back