Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Nov 22, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #3,226 of 6,030
Has anyone experience on their USB DAC? I want to use it with a DAP out to USB. I initially thought about getting the Hugo 2 to drive my Focal with my DAP as source, but with discount, the V281 or V280 is within the same price range of Hugo 2. Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #3,227 of 6,030
Has anyone experience on their USB DAC? I want to use it with a DAP out to USB. I initially thought about getting the Hugo 2 to drive my Focal with my DAP as source, but with discount, the V281 or V280 is within the same price range of Hugo 2. Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't heard their on-board DAC. I ordered V281 yesterday without it. From what I've read V850 DAC is comparable to or better than Hugo 1, but the on-board DAC is not. I thought V281 deserves a better DAC. However, the on-board DAC is a great value especially with Black Friday saving, and I was very tempted to order it to use until I buy a better DAC. I'm actually still thinking of calling them to change my order to include it.. :)

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #3,228 of 6,030
The onboard DAC option is surprisingly decent. It won't challenge a V850 or anything of that sort, but it's not terrible by any means.

People tend to be disappointed by it and I think that's due to it not being of the same caliber as the amp itself... to which I say "duh". What did you expect? For the price, though, I think you'd have a hard time finding anything significantly better.

You have to remember - this is primarily a dedicated headphone amp. The DAC option is an add-on, not the main event.

In any case, I was just thinking the 25% off sale makes the V280 a particularly good option. With the discount ($441 off) it comes in at well under $1400. If, as folks claim, it sounds similar to V281 minus some options.... that's a phenomenal value. As Pharmaboy said though, V281 is an excellent value as well considering the discount.

Nov 23, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #3,229 of 6,030
Hi folks,

I have almost no experience with amps. I have basically had one for many years. I have the Sennheiser HDVA 600. It has served me well with a pair of Senn 700s. My source was Oppo 105 for many years as well.

My headphone rig is part of a HT set-up. I just totally revamped the stereo side of things. I now have NAD Masters M50.2 music server and NAD Masters M12 digital preamp/DAC. Prior I had just used my HT prepro and Oppo.

This upgrade made such a difference with my headphones I got on a kick and ordered Senn 800S. It’s has been a revelation so much so I just ordered a pair of Audeze LCD-3s.

I spent a good chunk of the evening looking for amp reviews compared to my current Senn 600 amp. I found one in particular that compared around 10 amps using Senn 800 as the primary can.

The V281 came out as winner best overall while an EAR won for best overall sound but almost $6K. Yikes.

Throughout the testing a constant was that the 281 was on the warm side of neutral. I’d be up to trying the 281 but afraid this signature with NAD Masters and perhaps the Audeze might be too much on the other side of neutral on the warm side. I’m okay with this just don’t want to get bored as not engaged after 30 minutes of listening.

Will this perform well with the Audeze LCD-3? I think the Senn 800S will be fine.

In this paticular review the Senn 600 amp I have came in like 6 or 7 out of ten. I am surprised as it sounds pretty good to me but as stated I don’t have a lot of other can amp experience. Now I’m curios.

With the sale price and no DAC or volume I can about reach it. I use the M12 for volume and DAC. Do you think this is a good amp for me to try and move into with my gear and cans? Coming from Senn HDVA 600. I run fully balanced in and out.

Appreciate your thoughts and Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #3,230 of 6,030
Will this perform well with the Audeze LCD-3?
This amp sounds amazing with LCD-3, IMO. I have Fazor version from 2014.
I can not call this setup as warm sounding. It is smooth, but with good detail, texture etc.
Probably it depends on the DAC (my DAC is neutral).
Actually, it just puts you into the music, so you don't think about such things until someone ask about them :)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #3,231 of 6,030
  • This amp sounds amazing with LCD-3, IMO. I have Fazor version from 2014.
    I can not call this setup as warm sounding. It is smooth, but with good detail, texture etc.
    Probably it depends on the DAC (my DAC is neutral).
    Actually, it just puts you into the music, so you don't think about such things until someone ask about them :)

Thanks for the reply. I continued to read thru this thread and did more web searches and decided to order the 281 in silver. I didn’t plan on buying an amp until next spring but the sale got me.

I have a small bedroom set-up so will move the Sennheiser amp in there. That helped with the decision as I have a use for it and don’t need to give it away via Audiogon.

Can’t wait to try it out. My LCD-3s should be shipping soon and I had ordered a Silver Dragon silver XLR from Moon and that shipped yesterday so I can run the LCD-3 balanced. I was going to do that with the Senn amp so it was already ordered.

This should be awesome. Need to restrain from all sites now as two high end cans, a cable and an amp are about all my wallet can take right now.

Not sure of amp lead time but will provide some feedback after I get set-up. The LCD-3 should be here too.

Fun!!

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #3,232 of 6,030
I had ordered a Silver Dragon silver XLR from Moon and that shipped yesterday so I can run the LCD-3 balanced.
I don't know if the current delivery include both XLR and TRS cables, but mine has both of them.
It would be interesting if you share your impressions about the cables too.
I still use the stock XLR cable (it should be good according to specs, but who knows).

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #3,233 of 6,030
I don't know if the current delivery include both XLR and TRS cables, but mine has both of them.
It would be interesting if you share your impressions about the cables too.
I still use the stock XLR cable (it should be good according to specs, but who knows).

I had read on-line somewhere Audeze stopped shipping with an XLR cable as they felt most people did not use it. The Senn 800S I just received a couple weeks back had both included.

I think for the money Audeze should ship both. I would have saved the money for now and used stock. Oh well, the Silver Dragon shipped. I’ll be all ready to go with new amp. I’ll let you know but I will have no stock cord to compare.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #3,234 of 6,030
Hi folks,

I have almost no experience with amps. I have basically had one for many years. I have the Sennheiser HDVA 600. It has served me well with a pair of Senn 700s. My source was Oppo 105 for many years as well.

My headphone rig is part of a HT set-up. I just totally revamped the stereo side of things. I now have NAD Masters M50.2 music server and NAD Masters M12 digital preamp/DAC. Prior I had just used my HT prepro and Oppo.

This upgrade made such a difference with my headphones I got on a kick and ordered Senn 800S. It’s has been a revelation so much so I just ordered a pair of Audeze LCD-3s.

I spent a good chunk of the evening looking for amp reviews compared to my current Senn 600 amp. I found one in particular that compared around 10 amps using Senn 800 as the primary can.

The V281 came out as winner best overall while an EAR won for best overall sound but almost $6K. Yikes.

Throughout the testing a constant was that the 281 was on the warm side of neutral. I’d be up to trying the 281 but afraid this signature with NAD Masters and perhaps the Audeze might be too much on the other side of neutral on the warm side. I’m okay with this just don’t want to get bored as not engaged after 30 minutes of listening.

Will this perform well with the Audeze LCD-3? I think the Senn 800S will be fine.

In this paticular review the Senn 600 amp I have came in like 6 or 7 out of ten. I am surprised as it sounds pretty good to me but as stated I don’t have a lot of other can amp experience. Now I’m curios.

With the sale price and no DAC or volume I can about reach it. I use the M12 for volume and DAC. Do you think this is a good amp for me to try and move into with my gear and cans? Coming from Senn HDVA 600. I run fully balanced in and out.

Appreciate your thoughts and Happy Thanksgiving.

I & a few others went back & forth in this thread some weeks ago about exactly how "warm" the V281 is. To summarize:
  • My feeling is that the slight "warmth" of the V281 is not because it makes everything sound "warm" (it definitely does not)--but more because it lacks the overly clinical/"revealing" upper midrange & treble of so many amps mentioned on Head-Fi.
    • Let's just say there's is a wide opinion/perception gulf (in headphone audio, as well as big living room system "audiophile" audio) between those that want accuracy/revealing/details vs those (like me) who want organic/musical/natural/relaxing.
    • The V281 is probably more in the latter camp, but not by much--it also has tons of resolution...no details are MIA w/this amp
  • A related perception is two other impressive strengths of the V281--tremendously impactful/deep bass; and state-of-the-art dynamics--tend to really anchor the low registers in a way I find quite natural, like real, life music. This, in turn, tends to take the spotlight off upper midrange & treble. So indirectly, the V281 seems less centered on treble because you have so much to listen to in the lower registers, as well the upper ones.
I have the V281, know it extremely well, and have zero difficulty recommending it to just about anyone w/any type of hardware. It is enormously flexible and has tremendous power (can drive any headphone)--while sounding very good, indeed.

For comparison, I also have (and just love) the Liquid Carbon--which really is a warm amp. But even there, calling it "warm" (implying it "filters" everything & imposes a fixed sound signature on everything) doesn't begin to describe what it can do.

ie, "warm" is kind of curse here, at least w/some. but it's often not a simple thing IMO.

Nov 24, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #3,236 of 6,030
I & a few others went back & forth in this thread some weeks ago about exactly how "warm" the V281 is. To summarize:
  • My feeling is that the slight "warmth" of the V281 is not because it makes everything sound "warm" (it definitely does not)--but more because it lacks the overly clinical/"revealing" upper midrange & treble of so many amps mentioned on Head-Fi.
    • Let's just say there's is a wide opinion/perception gulf (in headphone audio, as well as big living room system "audiophile" audio) between those that want accuracy/revealing/details vs those (like me) who want organic/musical/natural/relaxing.
    • The V281 is probably more in the latter camp, but not by much--it also has tons of resolution...no details are MIA w/this amp
  • A related perception is two other impressive strengths of the V281--tremendously impactful/deep bass; and state-of-the-art dynamics--tend to really anchor the low registers in a way I find quite natural, like real, life music. This, in turn, tends to take the spotlight off upper midrange & treble. So indirectly, the V281 seems less centered on treble because you have so much to listen to in the lower registers, as well the upper ones.
I have the V281, know it extremely well, and have zero difficulty recommending it to just about anyone w/any type of hardware. It is enormously flexible and has tremendous power (can drive any headphone)--while sounding very good, indeed.

For comparison, I also have (and just love) the Liquid Carbon--which really is a warm amp. But even there, calling it "warm" (implying it "filters" everything & imposes a fixed sound signature on everything) doesn't begin to describe what it can do.

ie, "warm" is kind of curse here, at least w/some. but it's often not a simple thing IMO.

Ah, the old "is the V281 warm?" debate at the earlier parts of this thread.

I used to think it was warmish neutral but after having it for a while and having tested it with a couple of DACs (Hugo 2 and Hugo TT), I have to say that the V281 never got close to warm, or at least to what I define as being warm. It's weird because I used to think it had a hint of warmth but now I think the V281 just adds more weight to everything, I would call it weighty rather than warm if that makes any sense.

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #3,237 of 6,030
Congrats. The V281 is the only amp you will ever need. Built like a tank.
I do occasionally marvel at it's engineering.

I just ordered mine too. Couldn't resist any longer with that black friday deal.

Badas, I kinda blame you. My equipment progression has many similar waypoints as your path (HA-1, LCD-X, Auralic Vega, WA-22, Ether Flow, probably more). Many of your experiences have mirrored my own and so I've found your feedback very useful. So I think you're partially to blame for my most recent acquisition :)

As much as I've enjoyed the WA22 and tube rolling, it can get expensive and it will be nice to have a TOL solid state amp that I can just optimally without having to think much about it.

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #3,238 of 6,030
Ah, the old "is the V281 warm?" debate at the earlier parts of this thread.

I used to think it was warmish neutral but after having it for a while and having tested it with a couple of DACs (Hugo 2 and Hugo TT), I have to say that the V281 never got close to warm, or at least to what I define as being warm. It's weird because I used to think it had a hint of warmth but now I think the V281 just adds more weight to everything, I would call it weighty rather than warm if that makes any sense.

"...I used to think it had a hint of warmth but now I think the V281 just adds more weight to everything,"

That's a very good way to describe what we apparently both hear from the V281.

I remember reading in one of the audiophile magazines that when we listen to an audio component, we're really listening to its power supply. I wasn't always sure that's true--or that it explained as much about sound as it purports to. But w/the V281, that statement seems on target.

The V281 has bottomless reserves of power...and the dynamics are crazy/good. All the frequencies from the midrange down are so solid & impactful. That foundation, combined w/a "black background" (ie, little or no noise) makes this amp sound somewhat different from others IMO.

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #3,239 of 6,030
Thanks for the feedback guys on the V281. I’m sure it’s going to be awesome. I already received tracking Id from Arthur! That was quick.

My LCD-3 are on the FEDX truck for delivery today. Yippee!

I’m kind of glad I have until next week for delivery of the V281. I can really put the 800S and LCD-3 thru some time on my Sennheiser amp and have a fresh feel sonically/power of how the V281 behaves vs. my Sennheiser amp. With two weeks in with 800S I’m fairly confident there but I think the LCD-3 will be a bit more challenging for the Sennheiser amp.

Anyway, my Friday night is planned with a couple of drinks and the new LCD-3. Now to tell some friends I’m canceling plans for a date with my headphones. (-:

Thanks for the feedback on the V281. I’ll provide some feedback after it arrives and I have some time with it.

Rick

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #3,240 of 6,030
Wow Guys,

I’m several days into the LCD-3 and they are magnificent. I’m really enjoying them. It’s a tough call as I keep going back and forth between the Senn 800S. There are times I’m rooting for the 800S and then back to LCD-3. The bass on the LCD-3 is awesome. No matter how loud I go it’s in total control. At times I like the bit more forward vocal on 800s.

Anyway, this isn’t a can review thread so I’ll jump over there in time but my point is the Sennheiser HDVA 600 is handling both of these cans wonderfully to my ears. And I tell you maybe I purchased too many things too quickly but this NAD Masters M12 digital pre/amp DAC is amazing. Running fully balanced into the Sennheiser sounds wonderful.

I hope my ears will be able to pick up on differences when I insert the 281. Another nice, two XLR out on Senn. I can have both the 800S and LCD-3 balanced and drop one and pick up the other for quick compares. That is a huge nice and I’m going to miss it.

I hope the 281 improves on this experience as it’s pretty damn good right now. If things even get better I’m all for that.

Later this week I should know..

Cheers
Rick

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back