Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Nov 17, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #1,591 of 6,030
I have to agree with Plakat. Same taste here. I was surprised that it didn't match. The treble was too present for me on this amp for this HP.
Yet again, I love it with the LCD2.2.... so I might be a bit sensitive on this side.

Love my TH-900 leaner amps as well.

Could you define 'lean' as you hear it? I always took it too mean less full-sounding, which I would associate with less bottom end and an all around brighter signature.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #1,592 of 6,030
After a quick look up in the dictionary I believe that I have got the word "lean" wrong indeed :/ in that case it's the other way around.

TH-900 is in the office now, but from memory I was bothered with the highs. I don't recall for the rest of the spectrum.
Yet again, this comes from a guy with untrained ears, and not a fan of treble oriented cans, so take it as it is :)

And the guy in question is even having doubts on his statement now...
I'll bring it back this week end and give it an other try, if I get the time.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,593 of 6,030
  After a quick look up in the dictionary I believe that I have got the word "lean" wrong indeed :/ in that case it's the other way around.

TH-900 is in the office now, but from memory I was bothered with the highs. I don't recall for the rest of the spectrum.
Yet again, this comes from a guy with untrained ears, and not a fan of treble oriented cans, so take it as it is :)

And the guy in question is even having doubts on his statement now...
I'll bring it back this week end and give it an other try, if I get the time.

I thought the TH900 has great great highs with the V281. It sparkly crystal clear highs with no sibilance. maybe your DAC is the culprit.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #1,594 of 6,030
  Quick update... so got my TH900 like 10 minutes ago, and tried a couple of songs with the V281...Oh My Effing God, i am in audio Nirvana...Monsta bass, clarity, huge soundstage... are these headphones even closed???!!!! I don't even hear the recessed mids that everyone keeps yapping about! Now this is Summit-Fi... I am enjoying this way more than my HD800. WOW is all i can say. My search is over, i was thinking about eventually getting a HE-6, but with what i am hearing with these TH900s, i think i am done buying headphones for a while...HD800 might go up for sale. I will report back with more detailed comparison between both in a couple of days. But i am utterly impressed with the TH900 and V281 combo.

OK, this sounds more like it.  Your first post made me think you got a flaky 281, then I decided you needed some "real" headphones :) .
I have had my 281 for several months now.  I was looking forward to pairing it with my LCD-3s.  I had been enjoying the 3s on a Schiit Mjolnir.  A couple of friends kept telling me I had to listen to some HE560s.  So I finally did.  Now I'm hooked on the 560s (with ALO's Green balanced cable) and the 281.  Like you, I'm just not interested in anything else now.  The LCD-3s sit in their box gathering dust - I haven't even powered up any of my other amps - have 6 others and $8K invested in them.  This combo is it - at least for now - it's going take something that I don't think exists yet to get me to look elsewhere.
From my biased point of view - fine choice and enjoy, my friend.

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #1,595 of 6,030
Wow.... just saw that Violectric USA is having a Black Friday Sale.  25% off everything and a free set of IC with any order over $500. If anyone is thinking about buying themselves a nice early Christmas present here is your chance.  http://violectric-usa.com

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #1,596 of 6,030
  Wow.... just saw that Violectric USA is having a Black Friday Sale.  25% off everything and a free set of IC with any order over $500. If anyone is thinking about buying themselves a nice early Christmas present here is your chance.  http://violectric-usa.com

Yep, that makes a V281 (base model) come out to $1725. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #1,597 of 6,030
I currently run my T1's and Lcd-xc from benchmark dac2 hgc. I have a pair of massdrop fostex coming and plan on adding an HD800/s to the stable as well. Anyone think with my current inventory I would benefit from adding a v281 to the chain? I have been very happy with dac2 for the last year or so. Thanks for any input/suggestions.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,598 of 6,030
I currently run my T1's and Lcd-xc from benchmark dac2 hgc. I have a pair of massdrop fostex coming and plan on adding an HD800/s to the stable as well. Anyone think with my current inventory I would benefit from adding a v281 to the chain? I have been very happy with dac2 for the last year or so. Thanks for any input/suggestions.

I own and love the DAC2 HGC and don't understand why it doesn't get more attention around here. Very capable dace and quite a powerful amp...
Except for maybe the LCD none of the headphones you mention needs the power the V281 offers... I'd suggest to stay with the DAC2 and use the money for one of the headphones you're planning to get.

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #1,599 of 6,030
The Lcd-xc is extremely efficient. With that being said, I could not agree more about why the dac2 is never talked about...... I guess no hype "paid reviewers/members" plays a part. I suppose if I move to a more demanding can I'll look at upgrading to a separate amp.

I own and love the DAC2 HGC and don't understand why it doesn't get more attention around here. Very capable dace and quite a powerful amp...
Except for maybe the LCD none of the headphones you mention needs the power the V281 offers... I'd suggest to stay with the DAC2 and use the money for one of the headphones you're planning to get.

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,600 of 6,030
I've never been a big fan of their DAC 1 but agree that the DAC 2 is exceptional. Unfortunately my experiences with it have been primarily as a DAC or sometimes DAC/preamp... I never got a chance to use the headphone section. So I really couldn't say.

I find that the V281 is subtly better than even the excellent integrated headphone outputs of devices like the Anedio D2, BMC PureDAC, Reseonessence Labs Invicta, etc. Certainly not night and day or even what I'd call "obvious" depending on the headphone. But with the right music I do believe you'd hear it even with HD800. However, it is very tough to justify the cost unless you intend to pick up an HE-6 or Abyss or K1000 down the line.  

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,601 of 6,030
Plakat and Project, I appreci the honest and straight forward guidance. I've been here a long time... Although not the most active, always lurking. I came here after losing my dedicated two channel listening room (mini humans). I've listened to almost ever headphone in one setup or another. I've been happy but have also realized I'll never get the same soundstage, presence, etc as I'm accustomed to. Thanks for your input :) happy listening.

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #1,603 of 6,030

Well I don't think V281 is over kill as then you will be ready for a headphone upgrade sometime down the line : )
All kidding aside it really depends on your wallet.  The V281 has better transparency, dynamic headroom quieter background if you will be using it balanced.
If you don't plan to use the balance headphone out I would say the V200 is just as good.

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,604 of 6,030
So for lcd-2F use only, the v281 is overkill? V200 good enough? Thinking of taking advantage of the current sale.

I personally like LCD-2F more in balanced mode with V281, as compared to V200 or any integrated DAC/amp I've yet heard. However, I'm not sure the difference would be large enough to justify the price.... that's more of a personal thing. The sale is great though so it's a tough call.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back