Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Oct 26, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #1,561 of 5,977
Updated and cleaned the starting page. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #1,563 of 5,977
  Updated and cleaned the starting page. 

Good stuff! Looks exemplary. I'm almost tempted to read through all those impressions and reviews again.
Herzlichen Dank, Fegefeuer!
beerchug.gif

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #1,566 of 5,977
In SE mode V281 uses one power amp per channel. By converting your hps to balanced you are allowing it to use all four onboard power amps, i.e. 2 per channel. I have never heard T1s with the V281, but for all my headphones the difference this makes is substantial. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the SE preamp: it's the power stage that makes the difference. Having fully balanced end-to-end amp might feel better, but it would complicate the design and make it more expensive, with negligible impact on sound quality. 

A further question on this if you wouldn't mind....

If I connect my dac (nad m51) to this amp with either balanced xlr cables or standard stereo interconnects, will that make a difference to the balanced output? Thanks.

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #1,567 of 5,977
Originally Posted by gonzfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I connect my dac (nad m51) to this amp with either balanced xlr cables or standard stereo interconnects, will that make a difference to the balanced output? Thanks.

I think it will depend more on the quality of the M51 output - there may be some reason to pick one over the other. I don't know too much about this DAC, so won't make any statements here. 

From my experience the V281 doesn't really care about the input. There may be a difference in loudness, but that's about it. Still, having the choice I would always pick balanced over single ended. IMO it's just a better standard: higher signal levels, symmetrical lines with noise rejection, locking connectors - all that raises my confidence.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #1,568 of 5,977

In most cases the balance output is always louder and as PleasantSounds has mentioned it will depend on the Quality of the output from the M51.  I have own DACs that sound a tad more revealing from the balance out because of a lower noise floor and I have owned DACs that the SE output seemed more musical and less clinical.  Its best to try both since you have both options.  Just make sure you are sound level matching because many times.... louder can perceive to be better when its just more signal into the amp helping it sound more open and dynamic.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #1,569 of 5,977
Thanks for the advice.... So I therefore deduce that if I were to use a Chord Hugo instead of the M51, the fact it doesn't have a balanced output shouldn't make a huge amount of difference? Obviously there will be a difference because it's a different dac.

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #1,570 of 5,977
Thanks for the advice.... So I therefore deduce that if I were to use a Chord Hugo instead of the M51, the fact it doesn't have a balanced output shouldn't make a huge amount of difference? Obviously there will be a difference because it's a different dac.

Exactly...just the difference in the sound signature between the two DAC's

Nov 7, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #1,573 of 5,977
The wait is about a month for a pair after you order.

I just posted a little something on the LCD-4 thread.

"Now that my LCD-4's are broken in a bit the bass is just incredible! Even better then my LCD-2.2 (pre fazor). You can clearly hear down to 20Hz. Just amazing. So clear and detailed. I am really loving these."

I didn't want to derail this thread away from the Violectric V-281. Of course all my listening so far has been with the V-281.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,575 of 5,977
If Violectric made a gain option then they intended it to be used. No damage involved - or else why would they do it? The only reason you would use a lower setting is if you find your headphones getting too loud, too fast. Then drop the setting down lower. 

I suppose a higher gain could put your headphones at a higher risk of being blown by waaaaaaaay to much volume. So be careful, don't crank the knob all the way up (on any gain setting actually). 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back