Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 7, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #1,141 of 5,975

I've not found anthing indicating any configuratino options for the output on the V220. According to the block diagram the connectors are simply wired in parallel.

@xaval maybe you want to peek inside for anything obviously wrong on the second connector before contacting Violectric.

Thx. I'll open the box first, in case it's something I can fix for myself.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #1,142 of 5,975

Can´t compare to V200 ou V281 but... V220 has quite a large horizontal soundstage, less so vertically (please note, not short, just not as tal). Lets call it oblong
smily_headphones1.gif

On another note, I noticed that on my V220, the headphone outs don't sound the same. Facing the device, the better one is on the left. On the right side something is different, as details are smeared and not as imaging correctly... out of phase like... can someone verify this? 

I know that in the V281, the left SE out is in phase and the right SE out has inverted phase. I am not sure if this is the case with the V220..

globally inverted phase is not an issue since it's not really something one can hear (means both channels left and right are inverted by 180 in relation to the signal, the leading edge is inverted on both, but between them there is no inversion or deviation, meaning they (L & R), ) are actually in phase, which is the most important thing), on the other hand if the left and right channels (on the same output) are inverted (or deviated), one from the other, then it's gonna sound awful, if you play a bass sinusoid (center imaging, same signal on L & R) it's not gonna sound in the center but like if you had two sources, one in each ear (L & R, not one in the center), like out of head

so check out if the L & R channels are in phase on that output you find sounding strange, http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php , go under 'Wiring' and the 'center' track should portray a waterfall in the center with a lot of nice sub bass extension, while the 'twisted' will sound out of head, like two different sounds L & R, if you find the opposite then the output is wired wrong

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #1,144 of 5,975
There's a new V281 review on Headphone Guru if anyone's interested. It's very positive.

Well, when was the last time you read a negative review about anything on one of those sites?  I scanned the piece but not overly impressed with the quality, to be honest.  He got Fried Reim's name wrong....twice.  Then came a helpful blurb about an excellent pairing of a balanced nordost cable with the HD-800....each his own but I'm not a cable believer and don't tend to associate passionate beleivers with objectivity.

Anyway,  I've read better and more founded impressions of the V281 right here from some of the posters in this thread.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #1,145 of 5,975

Well, when was the last time you read a negative review about anything on one of those sites?  I scanned the piece but not overly impressed with the quality, to be honest.  He got Fried Reim's name wrong....twice.  Then came a helpful blurb about an excellent pairing of a balanced nordost cable with the HD-800....each his own but I'm not a cable believer and don't tend to associate passionate beleivers with objectivity.

Anyway,  I've read better and more founded impressions of the V281 right here from some of the posters in this thread.

I do paired V281 with HD800+Nordost Heimdall and I also think it is incredibly revealing too.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,146 of 5,975

While I can understand that they don't publish negative reviews (in part due to backlash by fans I guess -- many things are a matter of taste after all), its about what I thought after reading over the piece. My interest in a review fades away the moment cables are mentioned...

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #1,147 of 5,975
To be fair, the key draw of the V281 is balanced operation, which requires..... balanced cables. I know Sennheiser makes their own balanced HD800 cable now but it's so expensive you might as well get a proper aftermarket model instead.

I think as long as people don't beat you over the head with their views on cables, it's not offensive to hear about them in a review - either for or against. Same goes with politics, religion, and many other divisive topics. I've got an article in the works for Headphone.guru discussing this very issue. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #1,148 of 5,975
  To be fair, the key draw of the V281 is balanced operation, which requires..... balanced cables. I know Sennheiser makes their own balanced HD800 cable now but it's so expensive you might as well get a proper aftermarket model instead.

I think as long as people don't beat you over the head with their views on cables, it's not offensive to hear about them in a review - either for or against. Same goes with politics, religion, and many other divisive topics. I've got an article in the works for Headphone.guru discussing this very issue. 

You're correct of course. Thats why I said 'my interest fades' and not 'my interest vanishes' :wink:
The latter happens if the review happens to center more around the cable than the headphone and/or amp...

Using another cable due to high costs of the original Sennheiser cable is a valid point, but I have to say that the mention of using a balanced cable without further details would even be enough for me. I don't want to bash Frank here in any way and appreciate his long writeup with obviously long listening sessions, but I just did not get into the review.

Maybe a good time to thank you for your balanced postings and reviews btw.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #1,149 of 5,975

+1

I dont believe in cables either, my LCD-2 balanced cable is 66€, neutrik connectors and silver wiring, 1.5m. 14€ cheaper than Audeze's original one and because it uses silver, its very thin which is nice.

But as you say, let it be if someone believes in but doesnt make you to.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,150 of 5,975

Yours is the review we're all waiting for :)

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #1,154 of 5,975

I thi

The review was an honest review. The DAC part of my review included my feelings about using a separate more revealing Dac. Have you heard the Nordost Heimdall cable with the hD800?  Perhaps you can find one for  a demo and report your findings here.. The amplifier is excellent but I would use a different dac to get the most out of it.  The review was objective if it was not then I would not have brought out the shortcoming of what I felt  was with the DAC section of the V281.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #1,155 of 5,975
  I thi
The review was an honest review. The DAC part of my review included my feelings about using a separate more revealing Dac. Have you heard the Nordost Heimdall cable with the hD800?  Perhaps you can find one for  a demo and report your findings here.. The amplifier is excellent but I would use a different dac to get the most out of it.  The review was objective if it was not then I would not have brought out the shortcoming of what I felt  was with the DAC section of the V281.

IMO there's no arguing about cables, balanced or other.  No, I didn't try the one you used but to me a cable is a cable...a conductor and a connector on both ends. Signal in-->Signal out.  Hook it to a scope and observe.  With interconnects, I tried a couple of el cheapo (but decent) ones and compared them at his place to a couple owned by a friend who freely admits that he makes more money than what's healthy for him and hence he blows thousands on gear such as interconnects that cost  a couple k EUR for a 1 meter pair.  He switched, I listened, then the other way around.  Result after 25 iterations:  no significant difference.  For honesty's sake:  while we were doing this we were also enjoying a bottle of excellent scotch (liquor wise there does seem to be a positive correlation between price and quality).  This was with my HD-800, I don't recall the amp used at the time but the dac was an MSB diamond dac, the music a high resolution version of Beethoven's Kreutzer sonata.  Some people believe cables make a difference, I don't* and haven't ever seen a technical explanation as to why they should differ so let's leave it at that.  Nothing personal but I wasn't really impressed with the review and again, nothing personal and the following is not aimed at you per se so don't take it wrong but I have a hard time believing that any site that derives a portion of its income from sponsoring or advertising can afford to post negative reviews of gear.  To name one:  on 6moons I sometimes read stuff that is beyond fanciful.  I do, however, agree with your assessment of the USB module that Violectric uses.

*For signals in the audible frequency domain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back