Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 5, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,126 of 5,977
I'd say neutral rather than bright. It's probably not a great choice for those seeking colouration from their amp.

I can agree with that assessment.
The V200 is definately a colored amp, and I have to admit I was disappointed its successor didn't keep that signature warm sound.

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #1,127 of 5,977
I can agree with that assessment.
The V200 is definately a colored amp, and I have to admit I was disappointed its successor didn't keep that signature warm sound.

One persons loss, another one's gain :wink:
I skipped the V200 due to that specific trait and am quite happy that the V281 is a bit less warm while retaining that powerful bass... still I found just today that it pairs not so well with a T90 as I'd expected: sounds a bit harsh even, the A2 on high output impedance setting is a better companion to the T90.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,128 of 5,977
I skipped the V200 due to that specific trait and am quite happy that the V281 is a bit less warm while retaining that powerful bass... still I found just today that it pairs not so well with a T90 as I'd expected: sounds a bit harsh even, the A2 on high output impedance setting is a better companion to the T90.

V200 is a good amp for certain headphones, certain genres and certain tastes - it'd probably be a great amp for the T90 - but the V281 trounces it in terms of dynamics, PrAT, resolution, treble extension, soundstage and imaging. I'm curious to hear the Ragnarok, but for my tastes and for my headphones V281 is perfect.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,129 of 5,977

I think that is the problem with the T90 itself. Needs an amp that will tone down (color) its harshness.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #1,130 of 5,977
V200 is a good amp for certain headphones, certain genres and certain tastes - it'd probably be a great amp for the T90 - but the V281 trounces it in terms of dynamics, PrAT, resolution, treble extension, soundstage and imaging. I'm curious to hear the Ragnarok, but for my tastes and for my headphones V281 is perfect.

Yes, T90+V200 might be a combination worth considering. But its fine with the A2, so I'll just use that and enjoy the V281 with the Abyss or the K812, both very nice pairings.

I think that is the problem with the T90 itself. Needs an amp that will tone down (color) its harshness.

The T90 is quite treble-happy for sure. I've not found it problematic so far, I was just surprised that it did not pair that well with the V281, which I considered having rather smooth treble. But yes, the V281 is actually excellent in that regard, finding a good balance between smoothness and resolution. And I still admire its bass, strong and effortless while clean and not overblown.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #1,131 of 5,977
Can´t compare to V200 ou V281 but... V220 has quite a large horizontal soundstage, less so vertically (please note, not short, just not as tal). Lets call it oblong :)

On another note, I noticed that on my V220, the headphone outs don't sound the same. Facing the device, the better one is on the left. On the right side something is different, as details are smeared and not as imaging correctly... out of phase like... can someone verify this? 

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,132 of 5,977
Can´t compare to V200 ou V281 but... V220 has quite a large horizontal soundstage, less so vertically (please note, not short, just not as tal). Lets call it oblong :)

On another note, I noticed that on my V220, the headphone outs don't sound the same. Facing the device, the better one is on the left. On the right side something is different, as details are smeared and not as imaging correctly... out of phase like... can someone verify this? 

I know that in the V281, the left SE out is in phase and the right SE out has inverted phase. I am not sure if this is the case with the V220..

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #1,133 of 5,977
I know that in the V281, the left SE out is in phase and the right SE out has inverted phase. I am not sure if this is the case with the V220..

No, as the V220 is missing the other 2 amps that make the V281 output balanced. I guess both sockets on the V220 are just parallel, but the block diagram in the manual is not clear on this. Maybe a wiring error...

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #1,134 of 5,977
on the V220 both outputs come from the same amp board, so unlike in the V281, there shouldn't be any change in phase between the jacks. When I got my V281 and I was talking to Arthur (who runs the US Violectric store) he said there should not be any difference between the jacks at all, V220 or V281, both should be identical. so if you can objectively hear a difference between the two, like a noticeable one, I'd send an email to whoever you bought it from because then something is off internally.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,135 of 5,977
Thanks for the input about the heaphone out... It's a bit tough if I have to return it again.

Jan 6, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #1,137 of 5,977
  on the V220 both outputs come from the same amp board, so unlike in the V281, there shouldn't be any change in phase between the jacks. When I got my V281 and I was talking to Arthur (who runs the US Violectric store) he said there should not be any difference between the jacks at all, V220 or V281, both should be identical. so if you can objectively hear a difference between the two, like a noticeable one, I'd send an email to whoever you bought it from because then something is off internally.

Well, at least in V281 there is a difference, even if Arthur says something else. By default they provide SE signal in phase and reversed, as stated before. But it is also possible to configure them through jumper settings to provide balanced output.
I have no idea if the V220 has some equivalent jumper settings (and what purpose might they serve), but maybe it's worth checking the diagrams in user manual.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #1,138 of 5,977

I never know that before. What is the difference between the two in term of sound ?

With this setup, there shouldn't be any difference.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #1,139 of 5,977

Well, at least in V281 there is a difference, even if Arthur says something else. By default they provide SE signal in phase and reversed, as stated before. But it is also possible to configure them through jumper settings to provide balanced output.
I have no idea if the V220 has some equivalent jumper settings (and what purpose might they serve), but maybe it's worth checking the diagrams in user manual.

I've not found anthing indicating any configuratino options for the output on the V220. According to the block diagram the connectors are simply wired in parallel.

@xaval maybe you want to peek inside for anything obviously wrong on the second connector before contacting Violectric.

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #1,140 of 5,977
on the V281 the only difference is that one is in phase and the other is reversed phase. but that doesnt do anything to the sound. and on the V220 they just run in parallel so there is even less difference. anything other than identical sound coming from both jacks is something that needs to be checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back